Tom Heaton

midian

Really happy we've sorted this out. Better than Etheridge, better value for money that Butland and its probably in an area where we do need experience and a leader. The latter being hugely important, especially with our first season back in the league. I also think this isn't the worst signing in the world for Jed Steer as he has age on his side and could look to improve further and force Heaton out over time if he can.

• Like 1

I think this is a great signing and potentially our best of the summer, we have bounced between keepers pretty much since big Brad left.

The guy has international caps, premier league experience, is a captain etc etc - 8 Million will be a snip and allows us time to get Butland eventually at the right price

Steer like Johnstone before him are good championship keepers but in my opinion not what you want in your first season back in the premier league

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very shrewd signing, 10x better then Steer thankfully!

Was worried premier league strikers would ping them in for fun against Steer, Heaton is pure quality, if he can do a Friedel for us I’ll be very happy. 

Edited by Tommo_b
  • Like 2

The more I think about it the happier I am with this signing. I can understand why Butland may make more sense with resale value age etc, but simple fact is at the moment there is no doubt Heaton is the better keeper. 

Next video is of 2019 after his injury when he was injured for half the year. Still some unreal saves, agility top notch, parries into right areas commanding. Total keeper for me. Brilliant value 

• Like 1

I will be happy with this signing, sometimes a bit of experience is required to steady the younger players in tough matches. He is the club captain and a leader for his current team, which when the going gets tough will prove a great asset on the pitch. It sounds like we will have some good characters through the spine of the team this year, with Mings and Heaton being leaders at the back.

Edited by NeilS
Typo

3 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Short term, of the keepers we've been linked with he's probably the best isn't he? Longer term we can take our pick at a later date....

2 years of Heaton then can chase Donnarumma or whoever next big goalkeeper is 😉

• Like 1

Let’s hope my doubts about Heaton are incorrect and about to be proven wrong and have my words thrown back at me. Fully expect Maupay and hopefully Bayliss to be next and in by the weekend. Squad is almost complete UTV 

1 minute ago, romavillan said:

Short term, of the keepers we've been linked with he's probably the best isn't he? Longer term we can take our pick at a later date....

I'd say so. He's better than Butland right now and he's definitely the known quantity. 

The thing I like most about him is how well he commands his area and the back 4. For as much as we love Mings he has only played what, a dozen games at centre half? It's a new and relatively inexperienced back line, Heaton is just what the doctor ordered*

*NB, not Tony.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ramshackler said:

The more I think about it the happier I am with this signing. I can understand why Butland may make more sense with resale value age etc, but simple fact is at the moment there is no doubt Heaton is the better keeper. 

Next video is of 2019 after his injury when he was injured for half the year. Still some unreal saves, agility top notch, parries into right areas commanding. Total keeper for me. Brilliant value 

Some of those saves are unbelievable. Didn’t realise he was THAT good, what a signing this could be.

• Like 1

I am a fan of Steer, but before the tail end of last season no Villa manager really rated him and he was only recalled from loan once Kalinic was injured. 

Yes, he performed well above expectations leading into and during the playoffs, but he is far from the finished article and in need of further development. I'd rather that development not be at the hands of Liverpool or Man City. Not this season at least. 

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I'd say so. He's better than Butland right now and he's definitely the known quantity. 

The thing I like most about him is how well he commands his area and the back 4. For as much as we love Mings he has only played what, a dozen games at centre half? It's a new and relatively inexperienced back line, Heaton is just what the doctor ordered*

*NB, not Tony.

Yeah plus he was their captain, will carry some authority here. If we're going with a largely young and inexperienced squad a good place to have some experience is between the sticks, get 2 (or hopefully 3) good years out of Heaton and it gives us time to sort out the position long term. I think it's a good deal, to get a similar level goalkeeper who was a little bit younger we'd have had to have looked in Europe and he would have cost more than £8m.

3 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

That is very reassuring indeed. If they can be bothered to read something that contradicts their view, the doubters should read this.

personally i'm not a doubter of his quality. i dont think you can doubt, or question that. for me, i've just bought into the strategy of the summer and worry about the lack of resale value. but i suppose for a keeper, you need that safer and more experienced pair of hands...and if he helps keep us up for a couple of years, 8m is a bargain

• Like 1

Â