Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

Really no sign of this one turning out well for anyone.

You'd say pay him up but that's harsh as I can't see anyone taking him, he'd spend the next however long here there and everywhere on trial. I suspect he'd effectively be done in the professional game at any real level.

Would you want him around the squad and involved? As judging by that video of him in Brazil he's so far off the level he'd affect training I'm sad to say.

It's horrible.  I think he might need to explore other avenues away from football and what he wants to do with the rest of his life this summer.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

I never watched him at Brugge, before or after. Think we over paid something spectacular for him but we'll never know how he would have turned out I guess.

He had 0.3 G+A per 90 in his first season with us. The entire team were very poor. Given we improved I think you could make a case for him scoring 9 or 10 and 3 assists or something like that over the season. 

We'll never know sadly. So many players we consider good now were terrible at the time, Konsa, Luiz etc..

26 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He had 0.3 G+A per 90 in his first season with us. The entire team were very poor. Given we improved I think you could make a case for him scoring 9 or 10 and 3 assists or something like that over the season. 

We'll never know sadly. So many players we consider good now were terrible at the time, Konsa, Luiz etc..

People never thought Konsa was bad back then. He didn't even play that much prior to Wes's injury as his spot was held by Engels, but after he consolidated the position, people were full of praise for him. This recent season is the first time people have thought he's been poor.

Luiz improved yes, I'll give you that. But even now he's still a controversial player among our fans.

I'll add El Ghazi to the list of improved players but I'm sure plenty of people will dispute that.

Aside from these, I don't see anyone else you could argue who played poorly back then and ended up being considered good by us. Majority of them are now gone from the club.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

On 09/06/2022 at 03:16, ciggiesnbeer said:

I love that Kodjia clip. I need to dig up the game where Alan Hutton got skinned once by a Bristol(?) player in a manner Hutton didnt like. Less than 5 mins later the other player is on the ground and play is stopped by the ref to make sure he is ok......after Hutton had kicked the ball full force into his face. :)

here we go, some first incident starts 1:40

second at 2:30 :)

Watching this, I think the takeaway is how far we've come since then. To reiterate- Scott Hogan scoring for Villa in a game against Bristol City in the league! 

Now we have Coutinho playing for us against Man City. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/06/2022 at 08:11, rodders0223 said:

Really no sign of this one turning out well for anyone.

You'd say pay him up but that's harsh as I can't see anyone taking him, he'd spend the next however long here there and everywhere on trial. I suspect he'd effectively be done in the professional game at any real level.

Would you want him around the squad and involved? As judging by that video of him in Brazil he's so far off the level he'd affect training I'm sad to say.

It's horrible.  I think he might need to explore other avenues away from football and what he wants to do with the rest of his life this summer.

Not questioning your assessment one bit, just trying to understand it better ... When you say "any real level," do you many any professional level at all? Or at a level where it's worth it?  I guess I'm thinking Wesley did score a couple goals last year in Brazil's first division. Surely that's a very hard feat? You don't think he's Championship calibre any more? Very sad story. I keep thinking how football just sucks sometimes. It's such a gamble for young people. I guess I wonder a little about how players in his situation can be helped. Honestly feel like the club owes it to him to get him help with any post-football life, but they must be helping in ways we don't hear about?   

1 minute ago, duke313 said:

Is Wesley the biggest flop we’ve ever had, given how much we paid for him? Obviously his decline is somewhat beyond his control given the injury he sustained.

No. 
There’s been many worse. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Is Wesley the biggest flop we’ve ever had, given how much we paid for him? Obviously his decline is somewhat beyond his control given the injury he sustained.

Absolutely not. Had it not been for his injury it's very conceivable he would have hit double figures that season, wasn't he on 5 at that point and had like half a season to go? 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Not questioning your assessment one bit, just trying to understand it better ... When you say "any real level," do you many any professional level at all? Or at a level where it's worth it?  I guess I'm thinking Wesley did score a couple goals last year in Brazil's first division. Surely that's a very hard feat? You don't think he's Championship calibre any more? Very sad story. I keep thinking how football just sucks sometimes. It's such a gamble for young people. I guess I wonder a little about how players in his situation can be helped. Honestly feel like the club owes it to him to get him help with any post-football life, but they must be helping in ways we don't hear about?   

Well if he's on £35-50k a week, that is probably some comfort. I would imagine few of his classmates in Brazil will earn 1 year of his wages in their whole life. It's sad that his career has not worked out, but he is a young extremely rich man who will get support from the club when his contract is up. I imagine the same support someone who ages out of the academy gets when they are being released. They won't have ten million in their back pocket though.

I remember reading though that there is someone in the club who looks after the young footballers who havent made it and gets them reintegrated into life not around millionaires

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Nah. McCormack is the runaway winner there. £12m in the Championship is a much bigger outlay than £22m in the Premier League. 

I’d put Hogan far ahead of Wes for similar reasons (although I’d accept that Hogan was simply no good, rather than additional off field stuff we had with Ross). 

I’d be half tempted to put Kalinic and Tshibola ahead of Wes too, in terms of bigger wastes of money for where we were when they were signed. They played around a combined 15 games for us, they cost us about £10m between them.

Since returning to the premier league, he’s the biggest mistake we’ve made in the market. I think that’s probably the most accurate.

There was a time when I thought we’d reached the nadir in terms of wasted money with N’Zogbia and that transfer would never be surpassed. Little did I know.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, duke313 said:

McCormack and Hogan in the 2nd tier. Richards as well

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Absolutely not. Had it not been for his injury it's very conceivable he would have hit double figures that season, wasn't he on 5 at that point and had like half a season to go? 

A lot of competition for worst signing but he was shocking though. 

Libor Kozak struck 4 goals in 14 games in this first season for us, you could extrapolate the same way with him but it would pointless cos was crap too.

Also I don't buy this mythical Burnley game when he was suddenly gonna kick on. I remember him hitting a half volley straight at Nick Pope's bollocks which found its way into the net and a couple of one twos with Grealish.

42 minutes ago, duke313 said:

39 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

No. 
There’s been many worse. 

37 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Unfortunately i agree, he definitely hasnt been the biggest flop we have had, not even close tbh.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Balaban was worse, at least Wesley scored a couple of goals but for me was still useless before injury, it's not a luc nilis situation where the guy looked a world beater before the injury 

• Like 1

On 16/06/2022 at 13:11, rodders0223 said:

Yep, it would be uncomfortable for everyone.

I'd be have him training away from the squad or with the U23 if we can't find a club to get him to.

With the loan limit, a release is the only way he'll be leaving I think.

Â