Wesley Moraes

Tomaszk

He scored goals that kept us up. Without the Ben Mee assault he would have been a lot more productive in the second half of the season than Samatta ever was. He was tracking towards 10-12 goals before his injury which I think the club would have been happy with all things considered in the first season back in the prem.

The mistake with Wesley was probably offering him a long contract and big wages when realistically we were going to outgrow him in a season or two.  The Injury has just exacerbated that. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

The mistake with Wesley was probably offering him a long contract and big wages when realistically we were going to outgrow him in a season or two.  The Injury has just exacerbated that. 

I think the mistake was not signing a semior striker to take the pressure off him. I thought Kodjia would have got a few goals to help him 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mikeyjavfc said:

He scored goals that kept us up. Without the Ben Mee assault he would have been a lot more productive in the second half of the season than Samatta ever was. He was tracking towards 10-12 goals before his injury which I think the club would have been happy with all things considered in the first season back in the prem.

I don’t disagree with that, but if he had been a hit, in a season or two we would have had a saleable asset. If his contract was running out by then his value would be less. I guess we could have offered him a better contract once he’d proved himself. It’s a tricky balance I suppose, some you get wrong and some  right. Always easier with hindsight though. 

For me Wes was hated on because he couldn't do what people expected of him, given his physique.

He was a calm finisher (I'll say it, a much better finisher than Watkins), and was a good passer of the ball as well. I remember quite a few clever passes from him, zipped into feet.

However, Everton at home aside, he lacked physicality, and we were desperate for some of that that season. He also didn't have a natural striker's instinct to go for crosses/cutbacks etc.

Smith commented on how desperate he was to make it with us, so I'm gutted how things turned out for him. Not saying he would have become great or anything, but he did have some good attributes and surely would have kept growing in confidence. Even Smith said when he loaned him out that he remained firmly in his long term plans.

I really hope he eventually gets back to a decent standard.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

Honestly, i see him being like Joelinton at Newcastle, i think we all wanted him to be that reincarnation of Benteke but he was more of a player who operated behind or in support of a striker, rather than the main man. His physique made coaches and us fans believe he was the main man, which probably was not the best for him in hindsight.

as mentioned he was capable of making some good passes and i remember a few calm, placed, low finished from him aswell, which a lot of players would have messed up under pressure. we will probably never know now, but i think a change in position to operating off the main striker would have suited him and us much better. trouble is we didn't have anyone to play upfront so he had to do it i guess

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

Honestly, i see him being like Joelinton at Newcastle, i think we all wanted him to be that reincarnation of Benteke but he was more of a player who operated behind or in support of a striker, rather than the main man. His physique made coaches and us fans believe he was the main man, which probably was not the best for him in hindsight.

as mentioned he was capable of making some good passes and i remember a few calm, placed, low finished from him aswell, which a lot of players would have messed up under pressure. we will probably never know now, but i think a change in position to operating off the main striker would have suited him and us much better. trouble is we didn't have anyone to play upfront so he had to do it i guess

Spot on. I think he even played a supporting role at his previous club? Struggling to remember if this was Genk or Club Brugge now....Genk wasn't it?

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

Spot on. I think he even played a supporting role at his previous club? Struggling to remember if this was Genk or Club Brugge now....Genk wasn't it?

he was at brugge, genk was benteke i think. yeah he played behind the striker and did well there. could see him scoring some curled finishes from long range if playing in that position, old coutinho style.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tom13 said:

For me Wes was hated on because he couldn't do what people expected of him, given his physique.

He was a calm finisher (I'll say it, a much better finisher than Watkins), and was a good passer of the ball as well. I remember quite a few clever passes from him, zipped into feet.

However, Everton at home aside, he lacked physicality, and we were desperate for some of that that season. He also didn't have a natural striker's instinct to go for crosses/cutbacks etc.

Smith commented on how desperate he was to make it with us, so I'm gutted how things turned out for him. Not saying he would have become great or anything, but he did have some good attributes and surely would have kept growing in confidence. Even Smith said when he loaned him out that he remained firmly in his long term plans.

I really hope he eventually gets back to a decent standard.

I think Watkins is a poor finisher but the idea Wesley was better than him is crazy. 

His touch, passing and finishing were abysmal in all but 2 or 3 games. 

People really are thinking back with fond memories. 

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ender4 said:

So where is he now?  Back at Villa for his final season with us unless we can find a loan for him?

Loan at Internacional runs until 31/12 but apparently they want to end it as he's not fit enough to contribute.

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think Watkins is a poor finisher but the idea Wesley was better than him is crazy. 

There is nothing Wes did better than Samatta let alone Watkins.

• Like 2

Not having the "he was actually pretty good at passing" argument. He was shit at it. He was mostly a pretty safe backward passer. 

In his 21 games for us, he managed a grand total of just 2 completed passes into the penalty box. He was averaging a bit more than 1 progressive pass every 2 games. Needless to say, both stats are way below the average. 

• Like 1

Wes was very rarely actually in position to try to finish, poor or not. Most of the short time he was with us he seemed to play as a very deep lying forward or almost an attacking midfielder. That was one of problems as we hardly played two up top when he was at Villa.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sne said:

Loan at Internacional runs until 31/12 but apparently they want to end it as he's not fit enough to contribute.

I find it hard to believe that this is all down to one bad injury. 

26 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's simply incorrect. He definitely had passing and finishing ability.

• Like 1

Â