Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Would be madness, Elmo still has some skill but doesn't have the legs anymore, while Fred was actually pretty good defensively on the whole and should only improve. Having a choice between two young fullbacks with different qualities is a good place to be!

• Like 2

Highly doubt Fred's going anywhere.

Still 3 years left on a contract which I'm guessing is not much more than 15k pw.

Most consistent foreign import last season despite a new country and not speaking the language.

You know we got a good one when he turned up to the play off finals 3 days after getting relegated with his boyhood club.

Minimum this season will be a nailed on sub who can come on in a number of positions. Could potentially be moved into the midfield 3 if we don't sign anyone to replace CH as would provide more pace power and bite.

We are not at the stage this year to get rid of solid players who are not on much money.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Highly doubt Fred's going anywhere.

Still 3 years left on a contract which I'm guessing is not much more than 15k pw.

Most consistent foreign import last season despite a new country and not speaking the language.

You know we got a good one when he turned up to the play off finals 3 days after getting relegated with his boyhood club.

Minimum this season will be a nailed on sub who can come on in a number of positions. Could potentially be moved into the midfield 3 if we don't sign anyone to replace CH as would provide more pace power and bite.

We are not at the stage this year to get rid of solid players who are not on much money.

Guilbert, a right back moved in to a midfield 3? Or do you mean Cash to midfield and Guilbert at right back? Or has he played there before?

Edited by sparrow1988

45 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Guilbert, a right back moved in to a midfield 3? Or do you mean Cash to midfield and Guilbert at right back? Or has he played there before?

Cash or guilbert.

Guilbert has had to play pretty much everywhere in defence and has covered in midfield for Caen.

Ideally we would get in an upgrade for CH but if we don't then I think either could do a decent job due to willingness to run, tackle and push forwards.

The cash move makes a lot of sense for the strength of our squad.

I don't think he's settled and happy here - think he hasn't adapted culturally. It's a shame to lose him but we've got a better option in Cash, Elmo is still here as backup and we've got that young player coming through too, right?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Cash or guilbert.

Guilbert has had to play pretty much everywhere in defence and has covered in midfield for Caen.

Ideally we would get in an upgrade for CH but if we don't then I think either could do a decent job due to willingness to run, tackle and push forwards.

The cash move makes a lot of sense for the strength of our squad.

Only seem to remember him at FB myself - might you his positioning is so poor he could be anywhere I suppose.

He gave an interview at the seasons end saying he wasn't very pleased with his own form. Whilst I agree with him it struck me as an odd thing to say. Maybe he just hasn't settled here.

I'll be absolutely fuming if we let him go before Elmo and Taylor are off the books. He's a young, energetic forward thinking player and he's not scared to have the ball. If Cash is just a replacement for Guilbert then we haven't improved the squad at all.

• Like 2

Last weekend we played Wycombe in a friendly, first half was a strong team, in the second half we played a weaker team, Guilbert played in the second half, as it stands it seems he's third choice.

I wouldn't be overly surprised if he moved on, we'd have Cash as first choice this season with Elmohamady as back up, and Kesler coming through who's higly rated.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If he leaves I reckon it would be because that’s what he wanted and the club didn’t stand in his way.

Exactly this. There has been talk that he and his family have struggled to settle and are homesick. I don't think its beyond the realms that he asked to move back to France and that is why we signed Cash. Now he's free to leave. I'd be sad if he went, I've always liked him. But Elmo is adequate back up for one more season.

Edited by RichiBoi11

Â