Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Fred is too rash in his defending. Diving in too much in his challenges.

He is a bit like Bissaka in that sense. I know it's just his style but it's not the style that i like.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have a good positional awareness.

As right back he is playing against the best players in the league and if he doesn't put a challenge in he is giving them more time to beat him. That is the issue with Taylor and targett they back off and off until someone has a full head of steam and they have no chance to win the ball. This season guilbert has had to mark sterling and Mane, auba, Pulisic, rashford and Martial and when he has played the only player that got any joy was really sterling. He is clearly our best ball winner and losing him would show we are content to just sit back and let teams pelt us with crosses which will inevitably lead to goals due to poor marking from targett or the left winger. 

• Like 3

he had a poor spell of form before lock down, but most of his games he did pretty well I thought, he has a great deal of pace and great at tackling, just lacks experience and positional discipline.

People forget it was his first season in the Prem also. 

No reason to sell him, unless it's for a huge profit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hippo said:

Ok - chill out ....

Seems like he's yet to find his best position then......is that what you're saying ?

Both fred and cash have on the face of it, have simular attributes and both can and have played in a number of positions.

Fred, right back has been his main position and cash main position was midfield before last season.

Unless its for personal reasons, I would not be selling fred.

31 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Both fred and cash have on the face of it, have simular attributes and both can and have played in a number of positions.

Fred, right back has been his main position and cash main position was midfield before last season.

Unless its for personal reasons, I would not be selling fred.

Everyone loves a trier which guilbert is - his last ditch tackles look easy on the eye. But I think he makes too many many mistakes - I disagree with any about his forward his distribution going forward is very poor IMO.  I don't know much about Matty Cash - BUT i think he is seen as an upgrade on FG. 

• Like 1

I hope the rumours arent true. His passion is infectious and I think he’s decent and want the competition in the squad to be high.

Worth noting if he does go that the club rate Kaine Kesler highly, he’ll probably be in and around the first team this season so maybe that would be in the thinking behind maybe letting Guilbert go. 

Another one about to be added to the recent list of good players who weren’t given the chance to settle and develop their skills at our club. Why do we buy talented players and not settle them in and improve them further like the clubs we sell them to manage to do ? The fans have no patience and the club don’t seem to know or care about making them feel part of the process of moving the team forward. Until that changes we will continue to be a very low level premier league team at best, the fans expect to sign champions league players who don’t want to come to a team at our level and then blame the management for not being able to persuade them. The fact is if we had been able to settle and develop some of the players we bought in the last few years we would have a much stronger squad than we are now.

On 04/09/2020 at 23:58, Wes said:

Reads:  Nothing acted for the moment but the interest is more than concrete !!

15 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Nothing more than interest it would appear but not sure where Villa report are going with it though?.

It appears Nantes are snapping up alot of players that used to play for Caén (Guilbert's old club) and I think folk over there putting 2+2 together after we have just purchased Cash.

Unless Freddie himself wants to leave then I can't see this being much more than an enquiry. I hope that remains the case.

Edited by AvfcRigo82

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

5m for freddy, they can all f.off, 20m is the minimum going rate for everyone 

Theres no way in a million years we are getting £20m for Freddie - After 1 season in the premier league in which Freddie himself admitted he wasn't at his best. If he is a good as some think there then would be multiple interested clubs and a bidding war (Highly unlikely IMO) 

Id be pleased with £8m - most likely we will recover what we paid.

1 minute ago, hippo said:

Theres no way in a million years we are getting £20m for Freddie - After 1 season in the premier league in which Freddie himself admitted he wasn't at his best. If he is a good as some think there then would be multiple interested clubs and a bidding war (Highly unlikely IMO) 

Id be pleased with £8m - most likely we will recover what we paid.

Mostly likely.

My post was a tongue in cheek jab at the current market where everyone were looking at is a minimum 20m.

His value has increased though and id say more like 10m, but if he doesn't wasnt to go I'd be very happy to have him and cash fighting for that shirt.

He’ll only get better this season, thought for his 1st season in England he was decent, would be sorry to see him leave if he does, as that leaves elmohamady as the other right back and I’d rather get rid of him at his age

Â