Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

With Freddie as a starter and Elmo as back up, not concerned with the right back position. It's left back that's more concerning as Targets back up is Taylor. Freddie has been shaky at times but a new league, new language etc its understandable. Think he'll turn out to be a great player next year though does have the odd mistake in him (though everyone does). 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Because his last ditch tackles are great. 

You're not seriously suggesting you haven't seen guilbert get caught out of position ?

Yeah but I'm not talking about his tackles I'm talking about his interceptions which he was actually 12th in the league for per 90 (I was thinking of interceptions plus tackles which I believe he is 6th behind pereira, Diego Rico, wan bissaka, declan rice and ndidi.

Guilbert is caught out of position when the opponent counters because he is a flying fullback so he is often beyond his winger. 

44 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I think he’s going to have a great season. 

I agree, if selected (and relatively free from injury). He has showed promise and was great against Everton in particular.

I just, for some reason, get the impression that he’s not a favourite of Deano’s and could have been favoured/selected more.

We’ll see but I’m personally a fan and he will definitely improve imo.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

I agree, if selected (and relatively free from injury). He has showed promise and was great against Everton in particular.

I just, for some reason, get the impression that he’s not a favourite of Deano’s and could have been favoured/selected more.

We’ll see but I’m personally a fan and he will definitely improve imo.

I think Dean rates him and mostly used him well for a young player in his first season, and he had a few injuries as you say. I think he will be first choice next season for sure. And I think he will do well.

Edited by Adam2003
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, paul514 said:

I like him but we need to aim higher than him as a starting right back

Eventually, possibly, yes. But right back, right now is right down our list of priorities. 

Edited by Don_Simon
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Eventually, possibly, yes. But right back, right now is right down our list of priorities. 

Both full backs are but people keep trying to insist it's a priority. If we can find better yes go for it but not a priority now

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

I agree, however, if they get the chance to sign someone really good in these lower priority positions, say Max Aarons, I think they should. Obviously this would chip away from their budget but it's a very fine line chasing their first targets and eventually being unsuccessful like last summer with Phillips and probably others. Realistically we only have one player who's too good to be dropped, every other position can be improved. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

If we spend the same as last year we can easily get a full back for both sides, a defender, striker and 3 forwards 

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

If we spend the same as last year we can easily get a full back for both sides, a defender, striker and 3 forwards 

Seven players. You want another mass overhaul? Including replacing three quarters of one of the best defences post lockdown

11 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Seven players. You want another mass overhaul? Including replacing three quarters of one of the best defences post lockdown

I don’t think that is a mass over haul out of last years signings the only one slated to leave under what I just said would be Engels.

Eduoard, Eze, Buendia, Rashica, Stones, Aarons and Wijhal (az) can all be brought for that budget.

Perhaps we differ on our opinions of "mass overhaul". Seven new players coming in to a team I think is radical and unnecessary.

I also vehemently disagree you could get those seven on the same money we spent last year. 

Anyway, this is a Freddie thread, so I hope he stays and is our #1 #2!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

French paper le'quipe claiming Villa are looking to sell Guilbert and that a bunch of French sides anlong with PL & Championship sides are interested.

Can't see it myself, we need cover and Cash has never played at top division level.

1 minute ago, sne said:

French paper le'quipe claiming Villa are looking to sell Guilbert and that a bunch of French sides anlong with PL & Championship sides are interested.

Can't see it myself, we need cover and Cash has never played at top division level.

I'd sell him - don't think he is cut out for it at this level.

Just now, hippo said:

I'd sell him - don't think he is cut out for it at this level.

We'd get our money back maybe and have only a 33 y.o Elmo as cover.

No thanks. Konsa "can also cover there" but that leaves us with Engels or Hause at CB so once again no thanks.

Â