Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I agree. Max Aaron’s looks a decent player but I’m surprised we are using some of what is a supposedly limited budget there.

Fred definitely had good games and bad games but he looks like a player who will improve for having a season of PL under his belt. I reckon he’ll kick on and add some consistency to his game next season. 

I like him - there's a lot about him and plenty of potential to work with. Yes, he's not the finished article, but we'll need continuity going into next season and I think he's only worth replacing if we've got an outstanding candidate to come in and do a job. The last bit is the issue with Aarons, really - he's very much the right player, but it's not quite the right time given that we need to focus on our front line. Again, another hard decision to make. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Don't understand some of the negatives thrown at the lad. 

We lacked passion and fight last season for 3/4 of it. No one willing to stick their foot in, no one willing to challange for headers and no one willing to tackle.

Fred had all of that. He had passion for villa before he played a game for us. Look at him when we won the play offs.

Shame others didn't have the same belief, to feel honoured to play for the shirt.

For the shear energy and effort, passion and fight he shows every game, even when he has a stinker ( and he had 2 or 3 last season) he never gave up.

That level of love for our club, just like his last club, is something we need to spread to other team mates and I include grealish in that, often when things were going badly, jacks negative body language and frustration was clearly seen. The captain should never say die.

Look at Messi against bayern. Basically the same thing with grealish. No one on his level and a bit of him dies when he has to give the ball to someone else. 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Look at Messi against bayern. Basically the same thing with grealish. No one on his level and a bit of him dies when he has to give the ball to someone else. 

Messi was nothing special in that game though, it was a bizarre game which should have finished 4 - 12.

The captain is meant to instil fight, pride, passion. To pick others up when they are under performing, to be the player to have a word with themselves, communicate with the manager and not sulk or give up if other players are not of the same standard.

Kevin Richardson was not the best player in the team but boy, he would let everyone else know if they weren't doing their job and he rarely gave a look of defeat. Same with most captains.

The best player doesn't automatically make the best captain.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, brummybloke said:

Don't understand some of the negatives thrown at the lad. 

We lacked passion and fight last season for 3/4 of it. No one willing to stick their foot in, no one willing to challange for headers and no one willing to tackle.

Fred had all of that. He had passion for villa before he played a game for us. Look at him when we won the play offs.

Shame others didn't have the same belief, to feel honoured to play for the shirt.

For the shear energy and effort, passion and fight he shows every game, even when he has a stinker ( and he had 2 or 3 last season) he never gave up.

That level of love for our club, just like his last club, is something we need to spread to other team mates and I include grealish in that, often when things were going badly, jacks negative body language and frustration was clearly seen. The captain should never say die.

I genuinely think that it’s that fight and desire to save it from relegation amongst the likes of him, McGinn, Targett, Grealish, Konza, Reina, Trezeguet  and Hourihane that saved us this season. The squad on paper in my opinion doesn’t have as much quality as the one that went down last time, and yet it’s the fact that that squad just didn’t give a shit (amongst other things like the club just being a general mess) that took us down.

If people don’t notice by now that the level of fight in a player is as important as their quality then there’s no hope. That’s why I’m not keen on signings like Rashica IF it’s true he doesn’t want to join if we will be in a relegation scrap. That’s his prerogative, but he will be of no help if we find ourselves down there. 

Edited by Spoony

On 06/08/2020 at 11:44, Pez1974 said:

Another player who people are starting to write off, after 1 season - his first at the club and in the country - in the PL. And we know he has had some personal difficulties with adjusting to life here, and the language. And he's probably one whose value has increased since he arrived (£4.5m I think we paid).

He has pace, and he fights - something you can't train. And he'll benefit massively front improvements in front of him.
I don't see why replacing him/Elmo would be a priority over the 3 front positions, and a CM. If we can get quality in after those costs have been accounted for, then fine - but the same applies to CB and LB too; GK as well if Heaton is struggling. 

I don't think many people are writing him off - but judging him on what they have seen - which wasn't always great.

What personal difficulties has he had ?

What other players have been written off after 1 season ?

To me he has a decent engine - decent tackle - but his positional sense is close to zero as is general reading of the game. I think we need better in this position.

Edited by hippo

The way I see it is he has been here for little over 12 months. New language, culture and other barriers to overcome. My personal view on Guilbert is that he is probably worth treble what we paid for him and will more than likely get much better as he settles. In the mean time I can put up with the odd error whilst he does because he's a frigging bargain for what we paid. Hopefully we continue picking up players like Freddie, Great character, attitude, always joking, works hard and most important of all is not out of his comfort zone in the PL.  

Any thoughts of replacing him are severely premature imo.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, hippo said:

I don't think many people are writing him off - but judging him on what they have seen - which wasn't always great.

What personal difficulties has he had ?

What other players have been written off after 1 season ?

To me he has a decent engine - decent tackle - but his positional sense is close to zero as is general reading of the game. I think we need better in this position.

How can he have zero positional sense when he is like 4th in the league for interceptions per 90?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

How can he have zero positional sense when he is like 4th in the league for interceptions per 90?

Because his last ditch tackles are great. 

You're not seriously suggesting you haven't seen guilbert get caught out of position ?

9 minutes ago, hippo said:

Because his last ditch tackles are great. 

You're not seriously suggesting you haven't seen guilbert get caught out of position ?

Yeah he gets caught out of position like almost every single fullback in the league from time to time... the only ones who don't are worth £50m.

Guys a baller. 

56 minutes ago, Danny_Villaman84 said:

That why occasionally I think should give arm band to other people right attitude and lead to right way, jack didn’t got those. That why we perform good with him, Kevin Richardson In team, he is underrated player he make sure team right way with quiet good ball player not not good as other midfielders compare in division 1 and premiership not sure what year he In more like was In division 1 (pre premiership ), he is more position right place and read the game, good passer, command the team... it is Same it is applied Andy Townsend wear that arm band after him. He is much upgrade that Kevin Richardson I bare remember Kevin Richardson as I was about 10 years ish or older. That why I keen give arm band to Mings even Houriance.

anyway back on topic about Fred.

i hope Fred play more games next season to improvement and better playing to constantly good form and hopefully someone come challenge him long term which Elmo got last year to play for us.. same problem Other side targett with Taylor so 2 full back young stars to challenge targett and Fred Or replacement both with first team.

fred is best tackle and good position to defend yet occasionally too much overlapping to cause him off the position but same problems as targett so he is not only one as he need more game time in premiership to learn the trade, both targett and Gulibert will improvement big time. Fred is better win header compare to targett and Fred can man mark with pace when targett is tear half and stuck against pace.

might speak lack English to make hard communication to teamwork that why he off of the position as defender communicate is vital importance.

As both is high quality overlapping actually most threat compared that our winger that why they create more key chance that el Ghazi and Hassan.. Grealish work effectively with targett in left side inside cut with overlapping so rip Defending line to split.. rashica or benherma will do same in left and Grealish move centre so defender will headache against us with upgrade creative force so we actually need we need left foot player will work great as Jota and Fred rip Everton wide, we need right side left foot inside forward problem is Jota is slow and Odontoceti track back much same as el Ghazi and Hassan.

There's 10 minutes of you're life lost typing that in.

Wasn't Elmo getting the nod over him towards the end of the season. Now we are being linked with full backs .....says it all really.

Â