Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

Just now, sne said:

We'd get our money back maybe and have only a 33 y.o Elmo as cover.

No thanks. Konsa "can also cover there" but that leaves us with Engels or Hause at CB so once again no thanks.

pretty much sums it all up.

Unless he wants to leave because he wants guaranteed first team football,  I'd definitely keep him.  Doesnt strike me as someone that isn't up for a fight though,  or someone that would throw his toys out the pram.

Can see him and Cash sharing duties all season long. 

If they both have great seasons, neither of them making horrific mistakes then we'll have a headache trying to keep them both next season,  but this season, being as tightly packed as the fixture list is,  we need two first team players for every position ideally.  We're not going to get that but sacrificing a player in the only position where we seem to genuinely have it would be madness.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Unless he wants to leave because he wants guaranteed first team football,  I'd definitely keep him.  Doesnt strike me as someone that isn't up for a fight though,  or someone that would throw his toys out the pram.

Can see him and Cash sharing duties all season long. 

If they both have great seasons, neither of them making horrific mistakes then we'll have a headache trying to keep them both next season,  but this season, being as tightly packed as the fixture list is,  we need two first team players for every position ideally.  We're not going to get that but sacrificing a player in the only position where we seem to genuinely have it would be madness.

Smith has said Cash can be a great full back for us - Unless Cash doesn't step up - or gets Injured don't see Guilbert getting much of a look in. You have to think that when we signed Guilbert we were 13th in the championship - and he was most likley purchased with playing in that division in mind.

If fit Elmohady is the better second choice option IMO.

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

By staying up we can move to the next level, it will be a different type of season with the impact of covid and Fred is exactly the level we need on the bench pushing a 1st choice RB or even forcing his way on, I love his attitude, his commitment and he is a decent player. We need a strong squad, keep keep keep.

To add to that, if there was a case where we had an injury crisis.

cash could go RW and Guibert could come in at RB.

Basically, it's good having versatile quality players all over the pitch.

No more random Square pegs in round holes.

Note: For some reason my Laptop refuses to do capital c's ffs.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, hippo said:

Smith has said Cash can be a great full back for us - Unless Cash doesn't step up - or gets Injured don't see Guilbert getting much of a look in. You have to think that when we signed Guilbert we were 13th in the championship - and he was most likley purchased with playing in that division in mind.

GIF by Quizizz

1 hour ago, hippo said:

I'd rather Elmo be back-up to the RW position to be honest. Get those crosses whipped in.

• Like 1

Our 3rd highest rated player left season behind grealish and mcginn. Guilbert averaged 5 combined tackles and interceptions last year our next closest was targett with 3.9. I can't see cash coming in and supplanting him. In my mind cash is clearly the 2nd choice which is good because guilbert missed 13 games last season and likely would have missed more given he was injured for the first 8 games of restart. He also did have a big drop in form after Christmas and having an appropriate replacement would have been good to take some pressure off of him. But still guilbert is my first choice. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

Our 3rd highest rated player left season behind grealish and mcginn. Guilbert averaged 5 combined tackles and interceptions last year our next closest was targett with 3.9. I can't see cash coming in and supplanting him. In my mind cash is clearly the 2nd choice which is good because guilbert missed 13 games last season and likely would have missed more given he was injured for the first 8 games of restart. He also did have a big drop in form after Christmas and having an appropriate replacement would have been good to take some pressure off of him. But still guilbert is my first choice. 

Thats they key bit.

7 hours ago, hippo said:

His exact quote was that we've "secured one of England's brightest young prospects" and that he hopes he will "continue his rapid development into a top full-back." I recall reading one saying he can be a great fullback for us, but can't find the exact quote. Either way, the word "can" is pivotal in that statement. 

That doesn't sound to me like he's a nailed on starter, if anything it sounds more like he's a youth project,  although I know that isn't the case. Like i said, I believe they'll share duties this season, until one of them makes a pretty bad mistake or a series of poor performances.

Much like how Taylor and elmo started last season, I reckon Guilbert will start the first game unless he is poor in training. 

Edited by MrBlack

Sell Guilbert because now we have a player who finished 8th in the championship last season and conceded 5 in the only game that most of us know him from, in the division below.

Yeah I don't follow that logic really

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, YLN said:

Sell Guilbert because now we have a player who finished 8th in the championship last season and conceded 5 in the only game that most of us know him from, in the division below.

He played LM that game so what's the point?

5 minutes ago, YLN said:

He was playing left wing in that game to be fair, and did score so did his job!

1 hour ago, Digavilla said:

Always like his attitude, he will improve after one season.. letting him go at this stage reminds me of   Amavi.. 

Guilbert will never be as good as Amavi. I'd keep him, but only cos Elmo is much older.

Â