Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

I wouldn't even be entertaining offers for him. One of our bright sparks last season. New country, club, culture, language and was still far from one of our worst players. I think he's great tbh and when you look at the outlay for what we got in return, I'd say his value is akin to what we got for McGinn. I can only see him improving the more he settles and love his attitude and enthusiasm. If anyone needs to be moved on it's Elmo now. Excellent servant to the club but no long term future on the pitch.    

I like Guilbert and would be sad to see him go. But it would be harsh on the club to stand in his way if both him and his family want to return to France. As long as the fee is right of course. 

Sometimes it’s easy to forget they have lives outside of being footballers.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

I wouldn't even be entertaining offers for him. One of our bright sparks last season. New country, club, culture, language and was still far from one of our worst players. I think he's great tbh and when you look at the outlay for what we got in return, I'd say his value is akin to what we got for McGinn. I can only see him improving the more he settles and love his attitude and enthusiasm. If anyone needs to be moved on it's Elmo now. Excellent servant to the club but no long term future on the pitch.    

I agree with this but that's all on the assumption he wants to stay. It sounds like he and his family have struggled to settle. If that's true and we get a suitable offer then standing in his way would just sour his attitude. We don't need unhappy players kicking about.

12 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This would be one step forward and 1 step back for me 🤦🏾‍♂️

Exactly this.

Freddy- and Cash will both potentially being able to play right side midfield - silly to sell --unless the money being paid is ridiculous.

However, I cannot see any French team apart from PSG paying 20 million plus for a RB

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wasn't Guilbert a Suso signing?

Not sure to be honest mate. Irrespective of who’s preference as a signing he was, I just don’t think DS trusts FG defensively and maybe can’t see that side of his game improving sufficiently to warrant keeping him. As ever, we will prob never know. 

7 minutes ago, eholm said:

It looks as though DS doesn’t really fancy him....picked Konsa and Elmo ahead of him post lockdown. Maybe due to injury

...definitely due to injury, and DS picked him in our biggest games all season and the vast, vast majority of the time when he was fit. This is a myth that has sprung up on here. Even if other players were selected ahead of him sometimes (which was very rare) then of course that should be the case over a season.

Now of course that doesn’t mean DS rates him as highly as Cash or that Guilbert doesn’t want a move home. But he was very definitely first choice when fit last season and I hope we keep him.

32 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Cash or guilbert.

Guilbert has had to play pretty much everywhere in defence and has covered in midfield for Caen.

Ideally we would get in an upgrade for CH but if we don't then I think either could do a decent job due to willingness to run, tackle and push forwards.

The cash move makes a lot of sense for the strength of our squad.

Who's CH? I really can't think :D

5 minutes ago, eholm said:

Not sure to be honest mate. Irrespective of who’s preference as a signing he was, I just don’t think DS trusts FG defensively and maybe can’t see that side of his game improving sufficiently to warrant keeping him. As ever, we will prob never know. 

Fred is too rash in his defending. Diving in too much in his challenges.

He is a bit like Bissaka in that sense. I know it's just his style but it's not the style that i like.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have a good positional awareness.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Adam2003 said:

...definitely due to injury, and DS picked him in our biggest games all season and the vast, vast majority of the time when he was fit. This is a myth that has sprung up on here. Even if other players were selected ahead of him sometimes (which was very rare) then of course that should be the case over a season.

Now of course that doesn’t mean DS rates him as highly as Cash or that Guilbert doesn’t want a move home. But he was very definitely first choice when fit last season and I hope we keep him.

Not a myth, merely an observation. I recall often being surprised when line-ups announced why FG wasn’t picked. We all see things differently I guess.

Overall, though, would be disappointing if he were to leave. As a player, I rate him. 

7 minutes ago, gatecrasha said:

Exactly this.

Freddy- and Cash will both potentially being able to play right side midfield - silly to sell --unless the money being paid is ridiculous.

However, I cannot see any French team apart from PSG paying 20 million plus for a RB

If he goes I think it would be for well below £20m ... probably half that...

Â