Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fred is too rash in his defending. Diving in too much in his challenges.

He is a bit like Bissaka in that sense. I know it's just his style but it's not the style that i like.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have a good positional awareness.

Yeah he has significant strengths and weaknesses. Unfortunately his weaknesses seem to be on the defensive side of his game e.g. positioning, as you mentioned. Could they be worked in and improved, I don’t know but I would like to see him given the opportunity if that’s what the lad wants. 

1 minute ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Ridiculous if we sell him. Not like he cost us a lot and he genuinely likes being here and looks pretty settled here too. Would be annoyed if we sell him. 

Have you spoken to him? You don't know if he's happy!

5 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Well Jesus...Guilbert in midfield is something I thought I'd never read 😂

Read up thread - he's played all over the place (apparently!!!) - hey he might get a run out up front !!!!

(Think its Guilbert love in day tbh)

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Fred is too rash in his defending. Diving in too much in his challenges.

He is a bit like Bissaka in that sense. I know it's just his style but it's not the style that i like.

I like defenders who stay on their feet, reads the game well and have a good positional awareness.

You mean like a premier league defender.....

I like Fred I really do. I like his attitude, I like his commitment, and like how he appreciates the fact he plays for a big club. I also love how he follows and interacts with loads of our youth players on Insta. Not too many of the other first teamers do this.

He has some ability - pace, tenacity, he can tackle and has a winning mentality. However there are limitations to his game - especially on the ball. His feet sometimes aren't great.

I'd happily keep him as backup over Elmo, mainly due to his age, and see if he can keep improving.

However, as someone else mentioned, I'm not 100% sure he's settled and tbh if he wants to go I wouldn't begrudge him a move.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, eholm said:

Not a myth, merely an observation. I recall often being surprised when line-ups announced why FG wasn’t picked. We all see things differently I guess.

Overall, though, would be disappointing if he were to leave. As a player, I rate him. 

Yeah I wasn’t strongly disagreeing with your conclusion (as you said in another post, we will never know what Smith rates or doesn’t rate about a particular player) - I say ‘myth’ because there are a couple of the more windup focused people on here who keep posting that he wasn’t first choice even though people have directly replied to them showing he played thousands of minutes more than any other right back. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

Read up thread - he's played all over the place (apparently!!!) - hey he might get a run out up front !!!!

(Think its Guilbert love in day tbh)

I dont think anyone has said he has played all over the place ? 

I've posted facts on where he has played which is across the back 4 and covered in midfield. No apparently about it, its fact.

If someone said we'd be replacing Guilbert with Cash a few weeks ago people would have laughed.

Even the posters on here who watch Forest regularly didn't think Cash was all that, but it seems the excitement of signing a new player has elevated the abilities of the new signing ahead of an existing very good player.

I hope this is just paper talk, but I want Guilbert to be our main right back to start the new season and when he drops standards then Cash to come in to see if he can do better. 

Letting Guilbert go to bring Cash in would be much of a muchness and not really progression if an aging Elmo is still here as the back up choice.

• Like 2

It wouldn't surprise me if he wants to return to France, many French persons and players seem to struggle to adapting to life outside of France, quite understandable as well. Would be a pitty if he wants to return, we'd probably let him go cheaper if so.

I like Freddy but I'd be happy with Cash and Elmo, having Konsa to fill in when needed. Freddy is a bit of a wild card, if he can work on being more solid defensively and not make so many risky sliding tackles and shirt pullings in and around our penalty area I think he can be very good. Love his intensity and running.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

It wouldn't surprise me if he wants to return to France, many French persons and players seem to struggle to adapting to life outside of France, quite understandable as well. Would be a pitty if he wants to return, we'd probably let him go cheaper if so.

I like Freddy but I'd be happy with Cash and Elmo, having Konsa to fill in when needed. Freddy is a bit of a wild card, if he can work on being more solid defensively and not make so many risky sliding tackles and shirt pullings in and around our penalty area I think he can be very good. Love his intensity and running.

A big part of Fred's game is his tackles.

He has 1 red card in his career, and that was 2 yellows.

7 yellows in 29 games last season doesn't suggest his tackling is a concern and the occasions he has missed the tackle he is straight back up trying to redeem his error.

He has plenty to improve on still though and that will hopefully be with us rather than back in France.

40 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

I dont think anyone has said he has played all over the place ? 

I've posted facts on where he has played which is across the back 4 and covered in midfield. No apparently about it, its fact.

Ok - chill out ....

Seems like he's yet to find his best position then......is that what you're saying ?

3 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

A big part of Fred's game is his tackles.

He has 1 red card in his career, and that was 2 yellows.

7 yellows in 29 games last season doesn't suggest his tackling is a concern and the occasions he has missed the tackle he is straight back up trying to redeem his error.

He has plenty to improve on still though and that will hopefully be with us rather than back in France.

I agree, he is good at it. Though for me those tackles should be last resort for a solid defender, a defender who is really good at reading the game and positioning only needs to do those sliding tackles as the last way out, for Freddy it's more or less a routine to do it. Even if he doesn't get yellows it risks leading to free kicks or penalties against us, for me it also brings nervousness to the defence with those lunging tackles flying in.

Not a big thing mind, and I'm sure he can learn to be more selective with it. And propbably he puts himself into those situations more than other players as he is so eager going forward, which is entertaining to watch.

• Like 1

Â