Frédéric Guilbert

Villaphan04

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Surely you can cancel someone's contract for that?

Anyone outside the football side of things and you would. Especially if you didn't want the player any more.

Sure its like Reo Coker vs MON all over

8 hours ago, Anything11 said:

or you make him play with the kids for a few years...

EDIT: that does not read well at all 😂

This is why I don't really buy it. If someone's shown themselves to be so hot-headed and rash that they get physical with their boss, seriously enough that they're banished from the first team for years under 3 different managers, why would you have them hanging around as a bad influence around the u21s?

Edited by Davkaus

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He is not wrong in fairness. We have signed numerous players just because we can and have no use for them. Not just now but in our last Premier League run

Squads in Europe are in general a bit more smaller and more carefully planned

And that’s the way it should be, hopefully we adopt a sensible approach to squad building under Emery.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

not sure what 'regard' we should've had? he wasn't good enough for the first team so we tried to sell him. is that not how football works? i don't get what he's complaining about

he played in the premier league, and was in the starting 11 of a major domestic final in front of 80k people that will probably end up being the peak of his career

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

And that’s the way it should be, hopefully we adopt a sensible approach to squad building under Emery.

Its why I have no panic over this window. A good manager works better to get his ideas across with 19 senior players than 25 as the 19 will nearly all be involved in match day 

• Like 2

Two way street. People like Guilbert come to England because a mid table Championship club that doesn't even remotely look like getting promoted can give him a contract better than what he has and will ever get in the top level in France.

Saying that, bombing players to the U23s is just poor form and stems back to the Lambert years where it accomplished nothing except giving the club a bad name and reputation amongst professionals, having players dig their heals in "**** you then you can pay me up" and reducing their value.

We should have just paid him up 6 12 18 months ago. Another player come for X amount, paid too much and sold at a loss.

...but Purslow got 20m for one of the highest rated kids in the country so it's fine. He's a genius.

Well done Purslow.

31 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

If you don't play in Europe it makes very little sense to have a big squad.

You are mostly playing once a week.

5 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

If you don't play in Europe it makes very little sense to have a big squad.

You are mostly playing once a week.

It makes very little sense to have squad fillers or backup players, if you can’t trust them to perform on the pitch it’s pointless paying their wages, hence why we’ve shifted our deadwood.

I don't mind Fred, but he could have lowered his wage demands and left ages ago, i would wager. 

He chose to stay, and he has every right to, but don't then complain that the club won't pay you off. 

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

He is not wrong in fairness. We have signed numerous players just because we can and have no use for them. Not just now but in our last Premier League run

Squads in Europe are in general a bit more smaller and more carefully planned

Our player turnaround in the last 7 or 8 years has been immense. 

• Like 1

Â