Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

On 17/12/2021 at 11:28, Indigo said:

Have said this before but as good as Konsa is I don't see the complete modern day defender most do, at least not yet. The ability is there but isn't often put into practice with regards what he does with the ball, and most stats back this up. For all the stick Mings get for hoofing it, equally he's often the only one out of the two that actually offers Villa a route out of defence when in possession.

Fair call and wouldn't disagree, however Mings appears to have been designated that role, I am not sure he is particularly accomplished at it either. We do need a CB that can play out, and it difficult to see who will give way as Konsa is calm, has good timing and makes a good CB partner; Mings is dominant in the air defensively, one of the best stoppers in the league and a huge physical presence but is at times too casual and very poor at offensive heading (add this and he could be right up there with the most valuable CB's in the league). Neither are good at bringing the ball out, and as clunky as Maguire is, he is better at that. 

It will be a very good replacement who ousts either one of them.

5 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Cruised the first half but Lukaku made him look a lower tier CB in second. Poor for the goal.

That's the limit with Mings really. Can look good in many times but very best strikers will expose him.

As they do to almost every centre back on their day. 

• Like 4

Good player and on his day very good, but... he isn't consistent enough to be considered a bona fide excellent player.

People said Smith can't take us to the next level and then Gerrard came came along and lifted us. There are better gettable centre backs out there than Tyrone.

Mings can be replaced and must be at some point in the not too distant future if we are to get to the next level. He's been a great servant and will continue to be for as as long as he's here, but I won't be sad when he goes.

We've seen his limitations enough to know his level.

I've seen many defenders get into a physical ego driven battle with Lukaku this season and lose. I think Mings had it in his mind not to get into a physical battle with him....then took it way to far with the free header

From that moment on he was absolutely shook. 

Both Mings and Konsa, get pulled out of the middle too often to cover the full backs.  This does leave them open to criticism!  Remember when Ken McNaught signed and Giddy was at right back.  Ken was constantly covering which made him initially look poor, and he got stick primarily has he had replaced Chris Nicholl.  Everyone loved Giddy, but Ken improved greatly when Swainy moved to right back!!!  Think this will be the same for Ty and Ezra!  Whilst mistakes are made it’s sometimes worth reflecting that he’s only been a PL centre half for 2 1/2 seasons! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Unforgivable for the 2nd goal. Didn’t even bother to jump or compete with Lukaku. I’d have been furious with him if I was Emi. 

Watch the replay. Emi gives him a "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed" look (Also, with a touch of "WTF, mate")

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, May-Z said:

Watch the replay. Emi gives him a "I'm not angry, I'm disappointed" look (Also, with a touch of "WTF, mate")

Yeah, I saw that. I wanted Emi to let rip at him. He needs to know he let them down. 

My opinion of Mings after that game is no different to before the game or what it has been for about two years now.

He is a good but not great CB, massively over rated by many due to his performances in the Championship and the fact he is clearly a very decent bloke.

Had we signed him since promotion I genuinely think attitudes towards him would be very different.

On good day he can be a colossus but truth be told those days have been somewhat limited for a couple of seasons now. All too frequently they are punctuated by games where he makes frankly really poor and often costly errors.

Yes Lukaku’s movement was decent but lets not kid ourselves he did anything more than very basic one run for the defender one run for the ball movement. Truth is Mings did what you should never ever do with a player in the box, he passed him on or tried to. He tried to pass him and he took his eyes off the main goal threat in the Chelsea team. Then when he did see the danger he didn’t even jump it really was a pretty terrible piece of defending.

One of the issues I’ve often said with Mings is that he hasn’t played a lot of games, far from it in fact and at times it shows. He also simply can’t resist getting drawn into a physical confrontation with an opponent and he did that today and lost as he has done on numerous other occasions.

Mings has many positive attributes as a player and a bloke, he is the sort of person you want at your club. He is though error prone and some of them like today are just inexcusable.

It is a shame because there is so much to like but he just isn’t good enough or rather good enough consistently for me. 

9 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

It is a shame because there is so much to like but he just isn’t good enough or rather good enough consistently for me. 

Mings is a decent enough Premier league CB. He clearly isn't world class, but he's no more inconsistent than the vast majority of defenders in the league, its just that we don't watch other teams plays for 90 minutes every week so miss the errors. 

Â