Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

7 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Yep made a couple yesterday, they are rare though unlike Mings.

I just simply don't agree with you. Konsa makes mistakes too and Mings generally does more and takes charge in the defence - you have totally unrealistic expectations if you think we're able to have CBs who do not make mistakes against top class players at this stage of our journey. It's going to happen.

• Like 4

Mings and Konsa are both way too passive at times for PL centre backs but they are both better than our current full backs in my opinion. The Cash penalty give away was the biggest mistake by a defender yesterday that led directly to a goal, followed closely by Targett’s inability to deal with Lukaku for the third. The Cash one was particularly annoying due to the timing of it and the fact that it was just so easily avoided.

None of our defenders are close to being perfect but I still think that Mings is probably the best of them. Konsa has the highest ceiling though but he needs to find more aggression in his game to move ahead of Mings. The full backs are what they are and will need replacing if we are to continue progressing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I just simply don't agree with you. Konsa makes mistakes too and Mings generally does more and takes charge in the defence - you have totally unrealistic expectations if you think we're able to have CBs who do not make mistakes against top class players at this stage of our journey. It's going to happen.

Which is absolutely fine, the game is about opinions but my expectations aren’t unrealistic. Neither do I think we can have CB’s who do not make mistakes, I just think if we are to have any chance of realising the ambitions we say we have then we need better than Mings. The same is true a number of positions also.

Lets not pretend that Mings got done by brilliant forward play yesterday it was just rank bad defending.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Which is absolutely fine, the game is about opinions but my expectations aren’t unrealistic. Neither do I think we can have CB’s who do not make mistakes, I just think if we are to have any chance of realising the ambitions we say we have then we need better than Mings. The same is true a number of positions also.

Lets not pretend that Mings got done by brilliant forward play yesterday it was just rank bad defending.

could it be argued that this is the case with every position apart from GK? it does seem that CB, particularly mings, is singled out but realistically if we're saying champions league is our ambition, how many of yesterday's starting outfield 11 gets into a chelsea/city/liverpool side?

i have to disagree that your expectations, right now, are totally unrealistic

20 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I don't think anyone can disagree with that but it happened to all our defenders yesterday and they all consistently make errors. My issue is that Mings seems to be the only one who gets it in the neck when he makes a mistake, as all the other defenders do too.

• Like 1

The goal was pretty bad to be honest.

As much as I like to take up for Tyrone, as Trent has pointed out, those are the types of thing which just shouldn't be happening if you want to get to the next level.

Granted, Lukaku is capable of making most defenders look stupid, but the total lack of, well, anything really for that goal was embarassing IMO.

I've just watched it back, as it seems to have become a viral piss take clip on Tik Tok etc.

Will always reiterate he has all the attributes to be an outstanding defender, but ai wonder if he will just always fall that little bit short.

Tyrone needs genuine competetion.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

Just now, lexicon said:

I don't think anyone can disagree with that but it happened to all our defenders yesterday and they all consistently make errors. My issue is that Mings seems to be the only one who gets it in the neck when he makes a mistake, as all the other defenders do too.

I don’t agree and we won’t agree so will leave it there.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

could it be argued that this is the case with every position apart from GK? it does seem that CB, particularly mings, is singled out but realistically if we're saying champions league is our ambition, how many of yesterday's starting outfield 11 gets into a chelsea/city/liverpool side?

i have to disagree that your expectations, right now, are totally unrealistic

I literally said it applied to other positions in the post you quoted. I’m not in any way unrealistic, far from it. I don’t for one minute think we can compete for CL football for a start and it certainly isn’t my expectation.

What I do expect is a CB to be able to concentrate for 90 mins, something that is beyond Mings far too often.

Anyway I’m going to bow out of this thread and go back to VT hibernation.

27 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

So true! It was truly awful. I have no idea what he was trying to achieve. Even if he had successfully ‘rolled’ Lukaku, all it would have achieved is putting Targett (who was under pressure from Pulisic) in the sh*t. 

10 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t care about their errors, I care about the errors made by the players for Aston Villa and he makes way too many. 

Defenders like goal keepers are judged often by their mistakes and not by what they consistently do well,  as it often goes unnoticed. A GK or defender can be brilliant for 89 minutes drop a clanger that leads to a goal and is vilified. A striker misses half a dozen sitters then gets the winner in the last minute and is a hero. It’s the nature of the beast. 

Tyrone isn’t perfect but for me is currently a vital cog in our overall defence. We miss him when he doesn’t play. To replace him in the squad will need a big player and won’t be an easy job as we move forward. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I don’t think the roles of full back have anything to do with the mistakes Mings makes. 

I think they have everything to do with the mistakes that all centre halves make. How many times do we see a centre half out of position because of an advancing full back. Part of the game now, Ming's makes the same mistakes as other centre halves for me. I'd love it if he didn't.

• Like 2

Emi Martinez made a huge error bailed out by Mount’s finishing (and Tyrone’s cover positioning) but he’s still the best goalkeeper in the league.

Tyrone isn’t the best centre back in the league but for some reason he’s judged as though he should be.

Wild.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Exactly. That error by Mings for the Lukaku goal was criminal. You would be called out for that on a Sunday league pitch. How many times have his errors led to the opposition scoring? 

• Like 1

I see the Mings bashing is in full swing as per usual.

The second goal wasn't an error; it was poor defending based on poor positioning, but ultimately Lukaku's positioning was superb and the goal was extremely clever. He'll do the same against many more centre backs this season.

Players make mistakes all over the pitch for us every week, yet for some reason Tyrone is the only one that seems to get called out on it. He's been an absolute rock for us since Gerrard came in, one poor passage of play doesn't change that.

• Like 4

Â