Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

6 hours ago, TRO said:

No the stick to beat him with, if thats your description?....is to go up for a crucial aerial ball, and not stay flat footed.

Think of the mistakes he has made. All were probably avoidable with a bit more calm thought. Also, how many points have his mistakes cost us ? I can think of a few just off my head. Tbh, I wouldn't have him in the top 20 of centre - halves I have seen in a Villa shirt.

Edited by sheepyvillian

4 minutes ago, a m ole said:

More often than VVD? yeah, likely. They’re costly because he’s a centre back.

I'm sure some nerd could produce the stats to determine that one. I know who my money would be on.

Given the choice, I'd take the Dutch man every time. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm sure some nerd could produce the stats to determine that one. I know who my money would be on.

Given the choice, I'd take the Dutch man every time. 

Obviously, that’s the point. The best centre back in the world also makes bad mistakes that are costly. It’s not unique to Tyrone Mings or even average centre backs.

The criticism of him is over the top.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Obviously, that’s the point. The best centre back in the world also makes bad mistakes that are costly. It’s not unique to Tyrone Mings or even average centre backs.

The criticism of him is over the top.

No it's not the point. All centre- backs make mistakes, obviously, but Mings makes mistakes that are invariably costly. Show me where VVD makes the same costly mistakes ?

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

No it's not the point. All centre- backs make mistakes, obviously, but Mings makes mistakes that are invariably costly. Show me where VVD makes the same costly mistakes ?

VVD didn't close down Lookmam for Leicester's winning goal tonight. VvD also made countless errors during the 7-2 last season.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

VVD didn't close down Lookmam for Leicester's winning goal tonight. VvD also made countless errors during the 7-2 last season.

So that's two games. Mings, Man Utd ×3, man city, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool and many more. Incidentally, have Liverpool ever considered dropping VVD ?

23 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Quite literally, tonight, when I made the post.

It is the point, because I made it. 

Edited by a m ole

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

Quite literally, tonight, when I made the post.

It is the point, because I made it. 

I've just watched the Leicester goal and no way is VVD as culpable for that goal as Mings was for Chelsea's. I read the comments also, on YouTube and not one comment is castigating VVD. It's a ridiculous comparison, VVD is ten times the centre half Mings is. What Mings done against Lukaku was an error a schoolboy would be called out for. If you want a proper example of not closing down, watch Mings when we lost to Man Utd, when he let Greenwood shoot and score. Roy Keane called him out for it, and rightly so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Frankly. This thread feels like people have been lying in wait. Since Gerrard's arrival he's been a colossus. And mistakes happen, as long as he knows and learns that's all we can demand. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Only one player in the premier league has made more clearances than Mings this season.

IMO there is a real inconsistency the amount of stick he gets relative to other defenders.

Clearances is only one part of the defensive structure and can mean that the defending team is more under the pump on a regular basis. He continues to make the same mistakes, it would be different if he learned and reduced them from his game.

Chelsea targeted him in the second half, Tuchel obviously sees a weakness and it was exposed.

• Like 1

I'm sure other fans forums are the same but we take great joy in slagging our players off, not so long ago we had Chester and Richards in our defence..... All defenders make errors, especially against top sides when you have to defend a lot. How about just supporting and getting behind the players for once. 

1 minute ago, Zero7 said:

I'm sure other fans forums are the same but we take great joy in slagging our players off, not so long ago we had Chester and Richards in our defence..... All defenders make errors, especially against top sides when you have to defend a lot. How about just supporting and getting behind the players for once. 

Do you think the comments on the forum should just be positive about our players and not discuss their weaknesses? We all support Villa but the fact that we are not PL and Champions League current holders suggests there is room for improvement. There is nothing wrong with discussing players strengths and weaknesses. It would be wrong to simply ignore the issues we have

Just now, Peter Griffin said:

Do you think the comments on the forum should just be positive about our players and not discuss their weaknesses? We all support Villa but the fact that we are not PL and Champions League current holders suggests there is room for improvement. There is nothing wrong with discussing players strengths and weaknesses. It would be wrong to simply ignore the issues we have

No, not at all, but soon after a loss, all our players are shit and need shipping out, it's all about perspective, I don't get overly excited after a win or too doom and gloom after a loss. 

34 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

So that's two games. Mings, Man Utd ×3, man city, Leicester, Chelsea, Liverpool and many more. Incidentally, have Liverpool ever considered dropping VVD ?

Vvd is of course the better defender. I'm not debating that. I gave you examples of his costly errors, which was the original question. Not sure of the point you are trying to make 

3 minutes ago, Zero7 said:

No, not at all, but soon after a loss, all our players are shit and need shipping out, it's all about perspective, I don't get overly excited after a win or too doom and gloom after a loss. 

For whats it worth though, don't think tyrone has ever made the same number of costly errors leading to goals/chances within one 90 mins that VVD did against us in the 7-2

I never understand the stick Tyrone gets. Our resurgence as a club started the day that he walked in the door. Is he perfect? No. Could he be improved upon? Definitely. Is he our best defender? By a country mile. People who get gooey eyed over Konsa whilst giving Mings stick do not understand football. 

• Like 2

Â