Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

Right then . Do you remember Jonah Lomu ? 

Made an absolute clearing in the woods out of the England rugby team. Due to his sheer size and power. A one man wrecking ball.

Thats Lukaku. They didnt buy him for clever intricate passing. They bought him for his explosiveness and sheer strength. Mings isnt particularly strong. He is just big. Same with Konsa. They were marking the Jonah Lomu of football. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Right then . Do you remember Jonah Lomu ? 

Made an absolute clearing in the woods out of the England rugby team. Due to his sheer size and power. A one man wrecking ball.

Thats Lukaku. They didnt buy him for clever intricate passing. They bought him for his explosiveness and sheer strength. Mings isnt particularly strong. He is just big. Same with Konsa. They were marking the Jonah Lomu of football. 

I'm a staunch defender of tyrone but even i think this is a stretch. 

He had the chance to challenge lukaku in the air and he didnt. **** terrible defending

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I'm a staunch defender of tyrone but even i think this is a stretch. 

He had the chance to challenge lukaku in the air and he didnt. **** terrible defending

He did screw up .he was terrible . But what i was trying to say is that maybe he inspires fear in our centrebacks . Not often they actually know they are marking someone who is actually far stronger and faster than them. 

As a pair they normally are the equal of who they are marking physically. But lukaku is far stronger than Mings and far quicker than Konsa. Its why they paid 99 million as its only him and Haaland pretty much who have that double threat. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

He did screw up .he was terrible . But what i was trying to say is that maybe he inspires fear in our centrebacks . Not often they actually know they are marking someone who is actually far stronger and faster than them. 

As a pair they normally are the equal of who they are marking physically. But lukaku is far stronger than Mings and far quicker than Konsa. Its why they paid 99 million as its only him and Haaland pretty much who have that double threat. 

I think he does too, in every cb partnership. The last thing you want is for your captain to effectively 'give up' against those type of players.

I love mings and think he is far, far better than what some give him credit for. But that was utterly pathetic 

• Like 1

On 26/12/2021 at 23:35, AVFCGB said:

Both Mings and Konsa, get pulled out of the middle too often to cover the full backs.  This does leave them open to criticism!  Remember when Ken McNaught signed and Giddy was at right back.  Ken was constantly covering which made him initially look poor, and he got stick primarily has he had replaced Chris Nicholl.  Everyone loved Giddy, but Ken improved greatly when Swainy moved to right back!!!  Think this will be the same for Ty and Ezra!  Whilst mistakes are made it’s sometimes worth reflecting that he’s only been a PL centre half for 2 1/2 seasons! 

No, I don't remember. But thanks for your insight.

It was very poorly defended from Tyrone for the Lukaku goal. If he'd jumped for the ball and lost the battle, I would've been ok with that. But what he did was just a bit headless. He was rocked by that mistake, and lost his composure for the rest of the game.

However, it was one half of a game only. Tyrone has been great, he is the centerpiece of our defense that everyone else relies upon. He doesn't get covered, he covers everyone else. That's one reason his mistakes lead to goals more often and are visible.

Many very good points made in the last few pages, namely the changed role of full backs and the fact that other CBs playing the same role as Tyrone make mistakes too. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, AVTuco said:

It was very poorly defended from Tyrone for the Lukaku goal. If he'd jumped for the ball and lost the battle, I would've been ok with that. But what he did was just a bit headless. He was rocked by that mistake, and lost his composure for the rest of the game.

However, it was one half of a game only. Tyrone has been great, he is the centerpiece of our defense that everyone else relies upon. He doesn't get covered, he covers everyone else. That's one reason his mistakes lead to goals more often and are visible.

Many very good points made in the last few pages, namely the changed role of full backs and the fact that other CBs playing the same role as Tyrone make mistakes too. 

Yeah you could tell Lukaku was already in his head and he tried and failed to play the man instead of the ball and ended up looking a bit daft. To be fair though he is not the first quality centre back to made a mug of by Lukaku. On his day Lukaku is unplayable, Targett could have tried a rugby tackle in the run up to the pen and he'd have got dragged along like a rugby player in Jonah Lomu's wake.

It's something he can and will learn from you'd think, as someone mentioned above we sometimes forget how little experience our squad has for the most part.

Who would we replace him with?  Look around and realistically who could we get and at what cost given his experience.  Look at that donkey at Newton Heath that cost £80 million!  Joe Gomez mentioned, but his he an upgrade?  If other players mentioned on here are deemed good enough, Cash and Targett, then so is Ty for now.  Convinced if the full backs are upgraded then Ty and Ezri will benefit greatly.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Exactly. That error by Mings for the Lukaku goal was criminal. You would be called out for that on a Sunday league pitch. How many times have his errors led to the opposition scoring? 

spot on.

He made no attempt to go up for the ball, just bailed out and played the man , by barging him.

It was shabby. and very un captain like.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Me too.

3 hours ago, TRO said:

spot on.

He made no attempt to go up for the ball, just bailed out and played the man , by barging him.

It was shabby. and very un captain like.

Seems, in England at least, giving someone the captain armband is just another stick to beat a player with. Rarely seems to be mentioned in a positive light unless a club is attempting to purchase another teams captain. 

Edited by Rightdm00
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, romavillan said:

Yeah you could tell Lukaku was already in his head and he tried and failed to play the man instead of the ball and ended up looking a bit daft.

I'm a big fan of Mings and generally think his capacity for making errors is overstated by Villa fans. For me, you've hit the nail on the head here in terms of the biggest problem with his game.

Sometimes he can end up in a personal battle with an attacker, either because they've got in his head or he gets rattled because they've got the better of him physically, and it's then when his game drops. It happened the other day with Lukaku, happened previously with Zaha and I'm sure there have been other instances too.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Seems, in the England at least, giving someone the captain armband is just another stick to beat a player with. Rarely seems to be mentioned in a positive light unless a club is attempting to purchase another teams captain. 

No the stick to beat him with, if thats your description?....is to go up for a crucial aerial ball, and not stay flat footed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Zatman said:

Would much prefer Mings than that 80 million donkey who plays for United and having another mare

Maguire isn’t a donkey, far from it, Man United overpaid for him yes, both of them get so much criticism from media and fans alike. The players aren’t superhuman, they all make mistakes, it’s about minimising those mistakes and recovering from errors that defines them as players

• Like 1

I think some people actually forget about the aspects of Tyrone's game that greatly benefit the team; his organisation and leadership on the pitch are vital to the performance of the team. We've seen in games previously when he's missing just how big an impact his presence has on the team.

No doubt he will be a massive miss for us on Sunday. Just watch the shape of the back four, compared to the last few weeks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Watch Van Dyke turn away from Lookman in the Leicester game - pathetic from the best centre back in the world. They all do it on occasion. 

That's the issue, Mings makes mistakes more than on occasion and they always tend to be costly.

Â