Tyrone Mings

Demitri_C

2 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

Mings is a decent enough Premier league CB. He clearly isn't world class, but he's no more inconsistent than the vast majority of defenders in the league, its just that we don't watch other teams plays for 90 minutes every week so miss the errors. 

I don’t care about their errors, I care about the errors made by the players for Aston Villa and he makes way too many. 

Just now, TrentVilla said:

I don’t care about their errors, I care about the errors made by the players for Aston Villa and he makes way too many. 

My point is that, unless we bring in a world class CB, then it would be a waste of time replacing him, as most other CBs in the league will make a similar number of mistakes. 

• Like 1

I think if Hause moves on as expected in the summer, we should be targeting someone who can push and ultimately replace Mings in the starting XI. 

I love the guy and he has all the attributes except for 90 mins concentration. Sadly that's critical at this level and he's not improving. 

Just now, Made In Aston said:

My point is that, unless we bring in a world class CB, then it would be a waste of time replacing him, as most other CBs in the league will make a similar number of mistakes. 

I don’t think they do, I don’t think you’d need a world class CB to improve on Mings. If our ambitions are genuinely to achieve European football we have to improve on him.

He’s a solid defender on his day but when under pressure from quality attackers, always seems to get beaten or prone to a mistake. Poor at the start of the season, but improved with Gerrard’s appointment, but was targeted in the second half for a reason.

I think if, before our games, you asked all football fans who see us play who is most likely to make an error leading to a goal Mings would be the one most voted for, followed by Cash. They are the main two culprits. I'm sure if you looked at stats they would prove that to be the case. 

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I do think this context is important though. Defending has changed, full backs are now wingers who spend half a game attacking. Centre halves are now expected to start attacks and pass the ball amongst themselves. Both of those factors contribute to the large amount of mistakes we see nearly all central defenders making these days. 

We all see the mistakes by Mings, I'm not sure who villa can replace him with that improves us though. I look across the club's around and above us and I don't see better.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

My opinion of Mings after that game is no different to before the game or what it has been for about two years now.

He is a good but not great CB, massively over rated by many due to his performances in the Championship and the fact he is clearly a very decent bloke.

Had we signed him since promotion I genuinely think attitudes towards him would be very different.

On good day he can be a colossus but truth be told those days have been somewhat limited for a couple of seasons now. All too frequently they are punctuated by games where he makes frankly really poor and often costly errors.

Yes Lukaku’s movement was decent but lets not kid ourselves he did anything more than very basic one run for the defender one run for the ball movement. Truth is Mings did what you should never ever do with a player in the box, he passed him on or tried to. He tried to pass him and he took his eyes off the main goal threat in the Chelsea team. Then when he did see the danger he didn’t even jump it really was a pretty terrible piece of defending.

One of the issues I’ve often said with Mings is that he hasn’t played a lot of games, far from it in fact and at times it shows. He also simply can’t resist getting drawn into a physical confrontation with an opponent and he did that today and lost as he has done on numerous other occasions.

Mings has many positive attributes as a player and a bloke, he is the sort of person you want at your club. He is though error prone and some of them like today are just inexcusable.

It is a shame because there is so much to like but he just isn’t good enough or rather good enough consistently for me. 

I dont think he's passed him on, I think he's tried to challenge the man and make him miss the header rather than challenge the ball, he's using his body to try and roll Lukaku and Lukaku was way too strong for him, someone like timo werner bounces off mings and doesn't get the ball but he misread it and chose the wrong option and like I said it made him look stupid 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I do think this context is important though. Defending has changed, full backs are now wingers who spend half a game attacking. Centre halves are now expected to start attacks and pass the ball amongst themselves. Both of those factors contribute to the large amount of mistakes we see nearly all central defenders making these days. 

We all see the mistakes by Mings, I'm not sure who villa can replace him with that improves us though. I look across the club's around and above us and I don't see better.

I don’t think the roles of full back have anything to do with the mistakes Mings makes. 

Just now, villa4europe said:

I dont think he's passed him on, I think he's tried to challenge the man and make him miss the header rather than challenge the ball, he's using his body to try and roll Lukaku and Lukaku was way too strong for him, someone like timo werner bounces off mings and doesn't get the ball but he misread it and chose the wrong option and like I said it made him look stupid 

He definitely tried to pass him on. There is an angle that shows it he wasn’t even watching Lukaku, it was one of the most embarrassing pieces of defending from a CB you would ever see absolutely awful from him.

He only tried to use his body like that because he wasn’t watching the man and was reacting too late.

8 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Seems weird to purposefully come in here to talk about mistakes and not in the Konsa or Cash thread to do the same. We were undone by one of the best strikers in the world - this happens to a lot of teams.

If they made as many errors as Mings I’d be in those threads commenting in exactly the same way. 

Â