Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Social Media is pretty brutal re: Smith right now as well.

It's bizarre.

Under normal circumstances, I'd probably be dissappointed and have a little.moan as well.

But I find it crazy that people can't see the team we HAD to field today, and how mental the circumstances have been.

I'm actually happy we never lost, and I don't actually think we were bad. With Ming's, McGinn and Ramsey in that team today ( Last minute outs ) I feel we carry that game easily.

Then again, maybe I'm just fickle and bipolar 🤣

• Like 4

He is in a very difficult situation at the moment and we haven't fallen apart. It might not have been particularly good today, but it wasn't the horror show I thought it could be when the team news was announced. He managed to cobble together a team which included a left back in the centre of midfield and got them to at least appear like a team against an actual team who have been playing together as a unit for 12 months.

All in all, a good day for him. I am desperate for him to have something close to a full quota to pick from so we can start to get an idea of what direction he wants to take us in, but I fear we may have a while to wait still. 

It is going to be a tricky season, lots of questions will be asked, but I think patience is key. From us and from him. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find all this negativity absolutely bizarre. We have been nowhere max strength in any of the games and still managed 4 pts. Yes it's not been an ideal start, but you can't judge the team and Smith until we have something of a full squad.

People on here really go over the top. Man City had a terrible start and won the league, Southampton was in the relegation zone until Christmas and finished mid table. We were in the top 6 for the first part of last season and finished 11th. Bad starts or good starts mean nothing. When everyone is back I've got every confidence that we will be absolutely fine. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Made In Aston said:

I find all this negativity absolutely bizarre. We have been nowhere max strength in any of the games and still managed 4 pts. Yes it's not been an ideal start, but you can't judge the team and Smith until we have something of a full squad.

People on here really go over the top. Man City had a terrible start and won the league, Southampton was in the relegation zone until Christmas and finished mid table. We were in the top 6 for the first part of last season and finished 11th. Bad starts or good starts mean nothing. When everyone is back I've got every confidence that we will be absolutely fine. 

West Ham lost first 2 and finished 6th

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, dudevillaisnice said:

Meh, decent point we move on. Would’ve taken it before kick off. I’m more concerned going forward with the difficult fixtures coming in and having what is essentially half a squad.

True, although you'd hope by then that we'll have the majority of those players back.

Can't see our season really getting going until October tbh.

Next month could easily be 3 defeats given Chelsea and Man. United are two of the toughest aways around and ones we lose most seasons and Everton have started well and are tougher to break down under Benitez.

Going to take a while to warm up this year so any points are good for me currently.

Will judge Dean when he has Bailey, Watkins and McGinn all available and see what sort of regular formation and style of play he comes up with.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Can't see our season really getting going until October tbh.

Next month could easily be 3 defeats given Chelsea and Man. United are two of the toughest aways around and ones we lose most seasons and Everton have started well and are tougher to break down under Benitez.

Going to take a while to warm up this year so any points are good for me currently.

Will judge Dean when he has Bailey, Watkins and McGinn all available and see what sort of regular formation and style of play he comes up with.

Why will you only judge Dean when he has all his players available? Surely his job is to get the best out of what he has available? It’s ridiculous to think that you can only judge a manager on his record when he has everyone available. How often does that happen? 
So far, I would say, that given the circumstances, we are probably 1 point maybe  if you are being harsh 2 points down. That’s judging Dean on reality not utopia.

• Like 2

Can’t judge him based on 3 games this season, given the injury situation and the fact the preseason was a non starter. He will get time but with the difficult run coming up he will need a decent set of results after these games.

A bit confused with his comments after the game regarding the Emi’s. He said he didn’t know what their plans were, you are the manager of the club ffs, it’s your right to know. Couldn’t imagine many PL managers not knowing what was going on with their own players. I like Smith but sometimes think he is too pally with the players, I would like him to distant himself a little more sometimes. Sort of get the impression he might be a bit of a soft touch.

• Like 3

Bearing in mind the XI today I'm pleased with the performance and the point.

Something we simply must improve on is building through the middle. It's been an issue for a long long time. Watkins allows us to be lazy at times because he's so good at making something from relatively aimless long balls, but it's a big gap in our game I think.

• Like 4

13 hours ago, string28 said:

Got to admit dean did a great job today and we now have a break so can get all the players back fit and ready to go.

until the next press conference comes around and Dean is saying yet again that we're missing 4 or 5 first team players. Boring and irritating.

Â