Dean Smith

Demitri_C

19 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It's also not Villa's fault. It would be nice to put us first. 

There should at minimum be some kind of compromise ffs.

The amount of matches these players will miss, could be the difference between European Spots, Championships, Cups and relegation for teams. 10's of millions and even hundreds of millions at stake ( In the case of relegation etc )

The employers which paid top dollar for them, and pay top dollar TO them.

The International Federations should at least attempt to rearrange these matches in neutral territories out of red zones.

As much as I want Bailey to feature for Jamaica, and for us to qualify for World Cup, I'd reluctantly have to side with club over country on this.

Just a shite situation really.

Someone pointed out that, for South Americans, playing for their national teams are monumental, and I get that, but we need a compromise.

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Since the last game of last season, Smith has had to deal with:

Losing his best player/captain and the circus that went with that.

Self isolation during pre season  due to wife’s covid

Jt leaving

rok leaving

Pre season injuries to Targett, Watkins, Buendia

Subsequent injuries to Bailey and Mings (now Konsa)

Possible Covid to McGinn and Ramsey.

I am absolutely fine with being mid table going into the international break. No we probably won’t get Europe this season, yes September will be tough, but give the bloke a break, the last couple of months have been ridiculously difficult.

Thank you for a bit of balance . It was good to read this and take it all in . He has had nightmare after nightmare to deal with. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Not sure how I feel about this. 

Not too impressed with either player if this is true. 

gotta say i agree, both will go down in my estimations if they go against the wishes of the club.

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

There should at minimum be some kind of compromise ffs.

The amount of matches these players will miss, could be the difference between European Spots, Championships, Cups and relegation for teams. 10's of millions and even hundreds of millions at stake ( In the case of relegation etc )

The employers which paid top dollar for them, and pay top dollar TO them.

The International Federations should at least attempt to rearrange these matches in neutral territories out of red zones.

As much as I want Bailey to feature for Jamaica, and for us to qualify for World Cup, I'd reluctantly have to side with club over country on this.

Just a shite situation really.

Someone pointed out that, for South Americans, playing for their national teams are monumental, and I get that, but we need a compromise.

Absolutely. 

Ultimately we pay them huge amounts of money to play for us. I think it would be harsh for them to just say tough shit. That doesn't sit right with me. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

Since the last game of last season, Smith has had to deal with:

Losing his best player/captain and the circus that went with that.

Self isolation during pre season  due to wife’s covid

Jt leaving

rok leaving

Pre season injuries to Targett, Watkins, Buendia

Subsequent injuries to Bailey and Mings (now Konsa)

Possible Covid to McGinn and Ramsey.

I am absolutely fine with being mid table going into the international break. No we probably won’t get Europe this season, yes September will be tough, but give the bloke a break, the last couple of months have been ridiculously difficult.

I can’t argue with this tbf. 

I don’t think the club have handled everything you mention that well, but on the whole, Smith has had it very tough. 

Hope he pulls through it. Funny, this time last year, the international break was annoying as we had momentum. This year, as a club, we need it more than anyone just to regroup. We’re dropping like flies.

I felt the idea of improving on last seasons finish was unlikely but after 3 games I think it’s no chance of happening and I don’t think given we have a net profit of around £5 million on transfer fees the club has any intention of trying to push for Europe this season. The club clearly knew Jack was very likely to go this summer and spent that money ahead of time which is fine but if we want to push we need a bit more quality. 
if you take a look at last years results we beat Liverpool and Chelsea at home arsenal twice, Spurs Leicester and Everton away that’s 21 points from those sides. History tells us we don’t beat those sides that often and this team does not give me the confidence we will pull off those results this season and we need even more points to get close to Europe and I’m struggling to see where they come from given we have 1 point from 2 promoted teams. 
this isn’t a dig at Dean or the board given where they dragged us from, it’s more a question of what are ambition really is, perhaps I should reserve judgment until the window closes 

47 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm not sure how we're going to convince them otherwise but we really could do with Martinez and Buendia going off. With our injuries and then them pair having to isolate it's really not ideal for the club. 

Ok nevermind we're buggered :lol:

This is basically f** you Villa... I'm going

I would have loved the win today but given the team we had to put out it's not a terrible result. 

People need to be patient with us this season. I don't expect us to really kick into gear for a few months still. 

Not the managers fault one bit - circumstance has not been our friend these last few months. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

this isn’t a dig at Dean or the board given where they dragged us from, it’s more a question of what are ambition really is, perhaps I should reserve judgment until the window closes 

or reserve judgement until Dean is able to put out something that is even close to resembling a strong eleven

I agree we need strengthening in midfield, but with so much going wrong at the moment I think we need to get behind Dean and the club.

13 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

A couple of weeks ago someone suggested that maybe NSWE had ceased buying players because they had become unsure of Dean. They wanted to see how he performed before sanctioning any further deals. That way, if he does fail, money is available for the new manager. Likewise, if he does well he will have earned further investment. 
I think there may well be something in this and it makes some sense. Dean has had £300m to spend which is a huge amount of money. You would expect to see a cohesive unit with a well defined style given the time available and the investment made. This is far from the case.  It’s early doors this season so it makes sense to see how things unfold. After 10 games, if things don’t improve, pressure will build. If we are averaging a little over 1 point per game after 15 games then Dean will be gone. Any new manager will then be able to spend some cash in January. I really think the period between now and November will be massive for Dean. It’s make or break now!

For the record, I obviously hope he makes it. He is a great bloke and he is one of us. In reality, I have massive reservations. At this moment I would be more surprised if he is still here at the end of the season than I would be to have a new manager in place.

No chance. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

A couple of weeks ago someone suggested that maybe NSWE had ceased buying players because they had become unsure of Dean. They wanted to see how he performed before sanctioning any further deals. That way, if he does fail, money is available for the new manager. Likewise, if he does well he will have earned further investment. 
I think there may well be something in this and it makes some sense. Dean has had £300m to spend which is a huge amount of money. You would expect to see a cohesive unit with a well defined style given the time available and the investment made. This is far from the case.  It’s early doors this season so it makes sense to see how things unfold. After 10 games, if things don’t improve, pressure will build. If we are averaging a little over 1 point per game after 15 games then Dean will be gone. Any new manager will then be able to spend some cash in January. I really think the period between now and November will be massive for Dean. It’s make or break now!

For the record, I obviously hope he makes it. He is a great bloke and he is one of us. In reality, I have massive reservations. At this moment I would be more surprised if he is still here at the end of the season than I would be to have a new manager in place.

I think it’s a load of rubbish! 

• Like 2

Admittedly thought he was out of his depth from mid first season in the Prem and was firmly in the out camp, looked like relegation was a certainty -  it took a bit of a run but we survived.

Completely behind him now and will be for the foreseeable unless we are deep in the drop zone come the end of January. 

This was always going to be a season of massive transition after losing Jack, tiny and disrupted preseason and the injuries etc we’ve already had. Cliche but he genuinely is one of us and we play some of if not the most progressive and front-foot football I’ve seen Villa play in my life time (always been a very counter-orientated side).

2 hours ago, commander said:

Nah, i'm not having this was OK, it was rubbish. 

We've now got 1 point from 2 championship teams. It's pathetic. Our aim is europe, and in this context the two resutls are a shambles. we've spent £300m so no this was a far from ok result. 

You mean the 2 PL team of whom we have 1 win against in the last 5 years? Who said our aim is Europe? Did you hear Dean Smith say it? Purslow? NSWE?

52 minutes ago, M_Afro said:

No chance!

Â