Dean Smith

Demitri_C

8 minutes ago, MarkLillis said:

Saying something is “rubbish” is not sensible constructive criticism.

Adding up the money Villa have spent in the last few seasons to create a competitive premier league squad and then using it as an argument is also weak.The money spent is inconsequential it means only that we struck a deal at that amount.

I agree a draw at home against pretty much anyone feels like a let down, but this is the premier league and Brentford are (as far as I could see yesterday) a well organised and prepared premier league side.

We will not go the whole season getting wins at home,draws and defeats will happen and not only because the team expected to win has under performed.

Why is saying yetserdays result and the 3 games so far is rubbish? It is objectively poor, and as other pointed out 5 points down in similar games to last season. We have a pretty good squad now and all the great youth players coming through then evern with all the injuries, we should be expected to beat these teams. All 3 of these teams will battle against relegation. Thus, 4 points is rubbish.

How is the £300m inconsequential? Our owners have invested huge, huge sums.They will not tolerate 4 points fromthese games. I'm pretty sure they don't think the £300m is inconsequential. 

How much have Watford and Brentford spent - they can spend very little and have few players with Premier League experience (brentford have none), yet we have built up a pretty damn good squad and we shouldn't expect any more than a draw against  likely relegation team? 

The people CELEBRATING a draw v Brentford. That is really embarrassing. 

I like Smith, but he'll be right up aganst it. the Watford and Brentford results were unacceptable as - truth be told - the Newcastle performace was too (BUT we got the points).

• Like 1

He's lost his best (gurning wide boy) player, a player that all our formation and tactics were built around.

He's lost two key members of his staff (a lot of rumours of why that is, but it's strange they haven't been replaced yet).

The summer tournaments meant several key players returned late, whilst new players have barely trained with the rest of the squad let alone played together competitively. Throw in a number of cancelled friendlies/covid issues and a comedy amount of injuries and we are literally limping into the season, trying for damage limitation rather than the ability to test our new look first eleven.

Can't really blame Dean for any of that.

Add losing Konsa for a number of months (if his knee injury turns out to be even half as bad as it looks) and Emi 1 & 2 to international football and it's a perfect storm of problems that aren't of the club or Dean's making.

Even if everyone was fit, we still wouldn't know our best eleven due to the lack of a preseason, so these opening 3-6 games where always going to be us bedding in the new signings.

Yes we played 3 distinctly average clubs that you'd expect us to beat, but Watford were fitter and better drilled, Newcastle we beat and Brentford we were down to the bare bones with players withdrawing hours before the game kicked off.

Maybe it would have been better for us to play the big boys during this time of transition and injuries/covid pull outs, but I'm not sure seeing us get absolutely destroyed by City, Plop et al would have done much for the already dodgy morale.

I personally always thought it would take a few months before we started to see exactly how far we've come forward or regressed.

Overview of the season. One win/loss/draw. Two great goals scored in consecutive games by news signings. An assist for Bailey. Players missing through injury & Covid, others getting up to speed. All in all we haven’t had a poor start to the season and Smith has done nothing wrong as of yet… Yes we have (blatant?) squad deficiencies but and still two days to address that. Think we will if we can🤞🏻 McKennie can be persuaded (if we are actually in for him.) Oh and Curtis Jones would be a better signing than Dwight McNeil, more versatile and apparently adaptable. 

9 minutes ago, commander said:

Maybe we are grateful of where we've come in such a short perios of time, but still find the start of the season unacceptable and rubbish. 

These ideas can co exist. 

That’s VT I’m afraid. 

If you show any sort of negativity or constructively criticise players, performances, a handful of posters will make you out to be some sort of ungrateful b****** who shouldn’t demand shiny things. 

In reality of course, it’s perfectly fine to offer opinions on topics whilst fully understanding how far we’ve progressed under our excellent ownership. 

A great example of this was when I posted about Louie Barry saying I didn’t think he was all that on the occasions I’ve watched him play and that I don’t think he’ll turn out to be as good as Kessley, Ramsey or Carney. One poster responded by asking me if I ‘take any enjoyment in watching Villa?’ It’s a nonsense really.

I love NSWE, Smith and nearly everything about the last 3 years. I’m still disappointed in this transfer window and think we’ve missed a real chance to progress having sold our best player for a record fee. As a result I think we’ll struggle this season a little. You can’t say that though because Tony Xia once owned the club and I shouldn’t ever expect success again.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Using words like “unacceptable” 3 games into a season, no matter what the circumstances, is utterly ludicrous. 

You might not think that when we’re 35 games into the season and underachieving. All of a sudden being 3-0 down to a team that is likely to finish either 19th/20th might be deemed unacceptable.

Just because it’s early into the season, doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to put in performances like that. Hell, even our manager said it was unacceptable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It is a fair point. It is incredibly likely that we’ll be on 4 points after the Chelsea match from 4 games, averaging a point a game. That’s 38 points for the season and well, you know that might not be enough.

I don’t think we’ll go down. I think we’ll finish around 13th. I’ve said it on numerous occasions. But mocking the idea or notion that we could be in a relegation scrap is just head in the sand stuff. A couple of bad results, a few more of the niggling injuries we’ve been getting and all of a sudden, you’re in the thick of it and games become must win affairs.

Don’t confuse realism with pessimism. 

You could argue that’s the same for around 14 teams in the league. 

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

You might not think that when we’re 35 games into the season and underachieving. All of a sudden being 3-0 down to a team that is likely to finish either 19th/20th might be deemed unacceptable.

Just because it’s early into the season, doesn’t mean it’s acceptable to put in performances like that. Hell, even our manager said it was unacceptable.

Good point. Smith has been fairly critical of our performances in all three league matches so far. Even Newcastle he said was “OK, by no means brilliant.” The other two performances, he has been much harsher in his judgement.

Ludicrous man, doesn’t he realise  that in the circumstances we have done brilliantly and he has no reason to be constantly criticising himself and the team. It gets so wearing.

• Haha 3

It's his job to critique and analyse our performances. 

It's our job to support.

Nobody is saying the performances have been brilliant and that we're all really happy. But we can see some slight progress since Watford and we can understand the circumstances.

There is a big jump from that to posting dross and negative comments in every thread about every facet of the club. I agree with Jonah that some posters seemingly get no enjoyment from it, other than enjoying the misery perhaps

33 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

It's his job to critique and analyse our performances. 

It's our job to support.

I have been supporting Villa since 1961, mate, when I went as a 10-year-old to watch us win the league cup.

Basically, if I think a performance isn’t up to scratch, I will say so, and that does not mean I am failing to support the club.

And that despite the regular efforts of those who police this thread every week seeking to silence any constructive discussion.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

Your Facebook says you went to the University of Life doesn't it?

I have no idea what that failed attempt at a smartarsed  comment is seeking to prove, except perhaps to demonstrate one more technique for seeking to close down debate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

any constructive discussion.

Can you give an example of constructive discussion? Calling players shite is not constructive. Having said that endlessly boosting a player is not necessarily constructive either. Explaining what we think players are doing well or we would like them to do better and how they may go about doing it, that I would call constructive. Someone saying they never want to see a player in Villa shirt again, might be true, but it is hardly constructive.

I have supported the Villa since1st Oct 1960 when I was six years old.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Can you give an example of constructive discussion? Calling players shite is not constructive. Having said that endlessly boosting a player is not necessarily constructive either. Explaining what we think players are doing well or we would like them to do better and how they may go about doing it, that I would call constructive. Someone saying they never want to see a player in Villa shirt again, might be true, but it is hardly constructive.

I have supported the Villa since1st Oct 1960 when I was six years old.

This is a football fan’s forum and someone who has been following football as long as you must know that being a fan is at times a very emotional and reactive experience.

You are never going to be able to stamp out the sort of reactions you are citing here and impose the type of discussion you are advocating - my advice would be to accept them for what they are and shrug and move on if you find some comments too negative.

I think this is a slightly different issue from the constant attempts in this thread to personalise responses to and belittle the views of any contributors who don’t fully buy into the view that everything is wonderful at AVFC right now. The response of another poster to me about 12 minutes ago is an example of this approach.

Just out of interest, I tried to remember if I had ever said I don’t want to see a player in a Villa shirt again, and I think I did say that about Joe Bennett. I’m not going to withdraw the thought!

Edited by briny_ear

Â