Dean Smith

Demitri_C

Personally I couldn't give a f***s about him being one of us unless he brings success. Then I will appreciate the sentiment. In the meantime I'm more concerned about results and if the team continues to improve, he gets my backing. I think he's got a difficult couple of months ahead but I hope he comes through any transitional period with flying colours. 

• Like 1

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

You don't rate mcginn yet say if he plays we win?

I think you can not rate mcginn and also acknowledge he's probably better than Ashley Young playing cm for the first time and a 17 year old making his first start.

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think you can not rate mcginn and also acknowledge he's probably better than Ashley Young playing cm for the first time and a 17 year old making his first start.

If you don't rate a player, you can't then say he'll make a winning difference to a team

7 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Well you can, for the reasons I've put above. When a game is as close as it was today. 

So he's better than what we have and good enough to make enough of an impact in a game to get us over the line to win it, but in the view of the other poster, not good enough for where we are as a club. 

Ok.

Just now, GingerCollins29 said:

So he's better than what we have and good enough to make enough of an impact in a game to get us over the line to win it, but in the view of the other poster, not good enough for where we are as a club. 

Ok.

Well yes. But mainly due to who we had to play. 

I'm not a huge mcginn fan but I know he'll have more of an impact on a game than young or chuk in cm.

4 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Ok.

He’s probably not quite good enough to be a regular midfielder for a top 8 club, which is kinda the next step where Villa want to go.

But he’s good enough to have an impact in a game v Brentford.

39 minutes ago, GingerCollins29 said:

You don't rate mcginn yet say if he plays we win?

Saying his passing is hit and miss is not 'not rating' him. I was impressed with his performance in the last game and I said as such. His passing was good and he was not letting people run off the back of him. He also looked a lot fitter (one of my criticisms of him in the past). 

I don't have any personal affiliation to any player hence I try to look at performances objectionably. Except Nakamba because who can criticise that smile.

9 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Maybe but I’m guessing it’s less than remote.  Dean will be around all season imo even if results start off poorly.

He will definitely be given some time. Not sure it will be as much as some think though.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Saying his passing is hit and miss is not 'not rating' him. I was impressed with his performance in the last game and I said as such. His passing was good and he was not letting people run off the back of him. He also looked a lot fitter (one of my criticisms of him in the past). 

I don't have any personal affiliation to any player hence I try to look at performances objectionably. Except Nakamba because who can criticise that smile.

Can I just check what this has to do with the Dean Smith thread? (Except in the very general sense that it is about a player he manages)

Confused of Brighton.

To call for his head or say he is just a few results away from being sacked is quite frankly ridiculous. Dean is not perfect, no manager ever has been. He has done some good things here and I think so far this season he is doing ok. Nobody is saying he is the second coming of George Ramsey or unsackable; again no manager is. But I think he has earned if you will some time, especially as he hasn't had A team together yet this season.

I just don't get the calling for a manager's head nonsense, especially in this case when he is not under imo any immediate pressure and we should have faith in him still.

Edited by Big Salad
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

"We've got 1 point against 2 Championship teams "

- Ignores the 3 points against the Premier League team sandwiched in.....

Although technically, they are all Premier League teams.

It also ignores context. Brentford and Watford are fully fit teams with their entire starting lineup intact and ready to go. Our off-season was a shambles for multiple reasons. If we were a fully fit squad with, or even without, Grealish and a proper off-season under our belts than sure, 1 point against those 2 is awful. But given the crap the team has gone through so far I'd say 4 points in 3 is pretty decent. People need to develop some damn patience.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Another classic case of both stories being true and rather than understand the nuance the arguments are tribal between two extremes.

1) We had a lot of players out and would have been better with them. We'll come good.

2) Come May we'll have forgotten we had 4 or 5 injuries back in August. We will however be looking at 4 points from these 3 games and thinking 'what if' (and that's regardless of whether we end up fighting for Europe, in midtable or (I doubt it) a Relegation battle.)

We haven't started well. Very good reasons and excuses as to why. I'm excited for our November/December form when this team is all together, fit and gelling. But we've started with some less than ideal results

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 1

It's hard to evaluate him right now. In all the games so far we've had several key players missing, and today we had no less than 5 would-be starters out, including our captain and arguably two of our three best CMs.

• Like 1

Â