Dean Smith

Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I really hope DS has time to replace ROK and JT whilst there's an international break.  Fresh faces bring new ideas (hopefully).

I think Percy said last week the new coach has been appointed but is serving notice at his current club. Hopefully they'll be in soon but Terry only left 26th July; notice could easily be a couple of months if the coach has been in place for a few years? 

I think a freshen up will help everyone.

• Thanks 1

all we needed was a mcginn or ramsey and we'd have won yesterday IMO. even with a number of players missing we are still doing OK. smith's doing just fine with the tools he has

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, MellbergsBeard said:

With about 9 players out from the first team I am happy with how we have started.

Absolutely. 

The last couple of seasons we have agreed that the first 11 was good but worried about squad depth. 

Yesterday we saw the fruits of the strengthening.

Based on the team amd the players available then you can not judge Smith.

However what you can judge him is that it's the same performance since start of the year.

There have been moments but it's still the same.

I'm watching MOTD at the moment...all the games I'm seeing players in all teams taking on players....passing...moving....testing the keeper...not one pass...two pass...hoof down the line...repeat...giving the oppo time and space like we do.

I'm hoping that when everyone is fit...new players in we have an 'identity' to how we play...then we can judge him.

3 minutes ago, av1 said:

Absolutely. 

The last couple of seasons we have agreed that the first 11 was good but worried about squad depth. 

Yesterday we saw the fruits of the strengthening.

We're still not finished either, the top clubs can field 2 top international pro's in quite a few key positions. We are far from finished but yesterday showed that we are on the right track, because as @MellbergsBeard says above with that many out this is more then acceptable. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, dubbs said:

I really hope DS has time to replace ROK and JT whilst there's an international break.  Fresh faces bring new ideas (hopefully).

Wasn't Craig Shakespeare the replacement?

I'm not sure we need to replace Terry though.

• Thanks 1

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

Wasn't Shakespeare here long before those 2 left our am I imagining it?

41 minutes ago, Danishlad said:

what's all this this judging Smith nonsense. He has been here for three or four years. lol

Before this season, only one team has made more progress up the leagues than us* (Crewe Alex, I think). He deserves not to be judged after 3 games with an injury crisis. 

*since Smith was appointed 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

Yes, he was assistant with Terry and ROK. Always thought having 3 was a bit overkill. 2 have gone now of course, so I imagine we'll just get the one in to replace them. 

4 points against Newcastle, Brentford and Watford is pretty poor tbh. Especially with two of those games being at home. 

These are teams that are likely to finish between 15th-20th. I actually think Watford and Newcastle will go down (if they keep Bruce).

Given the context however, it’s not the end of the world. We’ve been plagued by injuries and Covid which has really affected us. 

With the Emi’s off to Argentina, our reluctance to really properly replace Grealish in the market, our niggling injuries and the issues off the field, avoiding relegation has to be the first target this year. I know that sounds mad, but we need to get to 37/38 points as quickly as possible and make sure we don’t get dragged into a dog fight. 

We’ve got some tough fixtures coming up. If you think a top half finish or Europe is realistic, I think you’re in a for a rude awakening! 

1 minute ago, dubbs said:

Shakespeare only joined a year ago. Maybe the club knew then that RO'K was going to call it a day a year later so it gave Shakespeare time to get used to the club? Just my thoughts on the matter.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

McPhee and Cutler seem to be at the forefront now too. Having watched Cutler taking sessions on avtv, I like how strong and authoritive he is. McPhee seems to have a particular high level skill in certain areas that could be adapted to other areas of coaching. And of course Shakespeare is highly experienced. 

As you say, a defensive coach seems all we need maybe.

• Like 2

Matt Maher from the Express and Star who's usually got the inside dope has said that the appointment of a new assistant is imminent, the decision on who it's going to be has already been decided behind the scenes, just waiting for an official announcement now. There are quotes from Smith taken on the matter, so it's definitely happening, apparently going to be someone who's worked in Europe, I've seen a few suggestions that it might be Lars Kornetka, but not sure if there's any basis in that rumour.

Edited by useless
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

If you’re ever down about Smith and Villa in general, read this. 

https://newcastle-online.org/topic/36685-steve-bruce/page/263/

Makes for fun reading. It could be a LOT worse. 😂

It’s amazing that despite 95% of people who follow football see Bruce as completely useless, he still has people who back him.

This is why we shouldn’t have short term memories and those berating Deano should take a breath.  We have gone from defending the 18 playing 10 defensive players to actually playing foot front, progressive football even when we are decimated by injuries and it would be easier to shut up shop.

We are not yet where we belong, but you cannot argue we are going in the right direction.

• Like 2

I've said this before but there's no way Smith survives if we're scrambling to reach 40 points. Even if he does use injuries/COVID/internationals/no Grealish/squad not up to speed or any other lame excuse.

It's already come from the horse's mouth that bettering last season's position is the aim so he'll be judged on that.

Having only 4 points from a kind start when 7-9 was doable with better preparation means we're already playing catchup and now we've got a tough run of games. 

If Smith doesn't feel the squad is strong enough to beat Watford and Brentford regardless of the injury situation then he needs to say we require more investment.

Instead he is saying he's happy with what he's got and seemingly happy with the start we've made, which is a defeatist attitude. 4 points is a poor return so far.

Now he's under pressure to get results from a tough run of games otherwise the atmosphere will turn pretty bad. I hope he's prepared for that. 

• Like 1

Â