Dean Smith

Demitri_C

I find it quite interesting how sure some people are of where this squad can finish. I still have them pegged anywhere between 6th and 16th.

There is ability all over the pitch, clearly? You can say we are lacking a particular type of player in midfield and I might agree, but that all depends on the system and whether we are able to get the squad to gel in time to make a push up the table. I'd be surprised if we finished any lower than firmly in mid-table, as per last season, and also surprised if we finished in the European places given the upheaval, however I am leaving room in there for it. 

• Like 1

I’ve been a fan for over 30 years, Ive seen many a manager loved / loathed come & go and over the years to the point my affinity & enthusiasm for our managers has waned somewhat,  I’m not as emotionally linked to who our manager is as I once was. I think the tenures of GTMKII McCleish, Sherwood & Bruce have scared me for life somewhat. The joys of Big Ron, Little, Gregory, early O’Neil years… now but a distant & faded memory … 

With Smith I’ll hold my hands up to say  I’m prone to swinging between the two camps reactively & emotionally… also sometimes irrationally.  Thinking logically, cold facts are that since he’s been here, Smith has been; Promoted. Taken us on x2 trips to Wembley. Is building a coherent & formidable squad. Oh and, blooded the youngsters. He hasn’t massively put a foot wrong anywhere along the journey thus far … Messed up thing is that I can sympathise and see both sides of the argument. 

If /  when he is eventually sacked or steps down,  that will be a sad day, but I’d easily get over it and have the upmost faith in NSWE & Co it’s the right time and call to make and the reason(s) will be plain & obvious and they’ll have a succession plan in place that will hopefully push us up to the next level whatever that is to & whenever that will be ??? 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'd like us to finish 10th yes because that's the highest we can hope to finish under this manager with this squad imo. I don't think they can finish any higher. Too many flaws in the squad.

I would be happy with Europe but I look at that as a pipe dream per now.

So you wouldn't "like" us to finish 7th or 8th? Bear in mind both, while not probably, are actually within the realms of reasonable possibility as opposed to say, finishing top 4.

Mings in his interview on villa tv

“ of course I’d love it if we got Europe this season but if we’re being realistic about our expectations I think any improvement on last season would be a success” 

@DCJonah has been in Mings ear ffs.

Europe or everybody out!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

That's why he's club captain. That man speaks a lot of sense. 

I knew you'd like that mate.

To be fair, coming from him, will probably help calm fan expectations, and see a certain result as a bonus, instead of an expectation.

Then again, we don't necessarily know what their expectations are privately.

On 23/08/2021 at 17:58, villalad21 said:

I'd like us to finish 10th yes because that's the highest we can hope to finish under this manager with this squad imo. I don't think they can finish any higher. Too many flaws in the squad.

I would be happy with Europe but I look at that as a pipe dream per now.

When we finished higher than 10th can I remind you of this post?

There are obvious doubts due to the way we played without Grealish. However, we have been climbing the leader board since Dean arrived. In addition, a number of players have significantly improved under his management as well as the quality of play from the squad as a whole. As noted above by our performances in the cups the base level of play from the squad has continued to improve. There is a clear style and formation to what Villa do.

I am a fan of Smith and I am also waiting for that marker that he can take the club to the next level (Leicester). I believe this season will tell us a lot as its the most talented squad we have had in quite some time.

What would be better,  playing great football and finishing 10th or playing dull football but finishing higher up the table? Having seen how Dean has set up previous teams I know he can get them to play attractive football but what I've seen so far this season hasn't been great to watch.   Having said that if he's still looking to replace 2 people from the coaching staff maybe they'll help with that too.  

1 hour ago, dubbs said:

What would be better,  playing great football and finishing 10th or playing dull football but finishing higher up the table? Having seen how Dean has set up previous teams I know he can get them to play attractive football but what I've seen so far this season hasn't been great to watch.   Having said that if he's still looking to replace 2 people from the coaching staff maybe they'll help with that too.  

Depends how much higher up I suppose. I'd love us to be playing attractive football more than almost anything after a decade of dross (and even before that really). We've only been exciting to watch for last season and a few years under MoN in my footballing memory so I'd love us to be attacking and attractive on the ball.

So, I'd take 10th and great football that can progress than dull football and 6th-9th. 5th I'd debate (gets Europa but I would feel like boring football and additional games next year would drop us into 6th anyway). 4th, I'd take the boring football. Finishing 4th with boring football would mean we are incredibly disciplined or great at counter attacking, it wouldn't be attractive but would probably be still exciting. I'd take that.

• Like 1

Credit to Dean. The 4-2-3-1 looked much better than it did versus Watford. The 3 Bs (Buendia, Bailey, Bertrand) or Watkins behind Ings is so nasty. Stupid injuries 🤬

Â