Jump to content

Recommended Posts

worth noting that we didnt break the 9 point barrier last season until GAME 9! (after game 8 - 8 points, after game 9 win - 11 points), also worth noting we only had 11 points until game 13 when we managed a win versus Newcastle.

we are already 26% towards last seasons total points tally......after 8% of the season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

worth noting that we didnt break the 9 point barrier last season until GAME 9! (after game 8 - 8 points, after game 9 win - 11 points), also worth noting we only had 11 points until game 13 when we managed a win versus Newcastle.

we are already 26% towards last seasons total points tally......after 8% of the season.

These data are a thing of beauty, thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much talk in the media about how bad Liverpool and their defence was. We made them bad because we were freaking awsome. The tactical adjustment of having Barkley just behind Watkins and blocking spaces for them was spot on. Then they couldn't handle our fast breaks. Our whole set up was a tactical masterstroke.

 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Too much talk in the media about how bad Liverpool and their defence was. We made them bad because we were freaking awsome. The tactical adjustment of having Barkley just behind Watkins and blocking spaces for them was spot on. Then they couldn't handle our fast breaks. Our whole set up was a tactical masterstroke.

 

Sod the media, they'll still be talking about Liverpool’s demise when we win the title 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Zatman said:

Has received little credit for his tactics last night from outside Villa. Absolutely humiliated Klopp last night 

No problem for me. We don't need some pundit who never watches us to tell us what we've just seen.

It was just insane. Well done to Smith for tweaking the formation, it wouldn't work without a dynamic 10 like Barkley, perhaps he's just been waiting for the right personnel. 

Only been here two years FFS. Ridiculous success.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The first chart is interesting as it shows our tactics to a tee. We're probably the first team who have ruthlessly exposed that gap between the CB and midfield line of Liverscum. It's going to be interesting in the return at Anfield as Mane might be back along Allison. However will liverscum change tactics because of the way we exposed them? Trezeguet with the highest possession value too!!!!

In other words Dean Smith had the players to **** them up.

Edited by Sulberto21
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When Jota had the shot somehow Trezeguet was in the lcf position and wanted a quick throw out. Martinez instead told him get back to your position you're messing with the plan. Brilliant stuff from our keeper. We allowed them our right so we could dominate our left. TAA and Gomez crumbled.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, MaVilla said:

worth noting that we didnt break the 9 point barrier last season until GAME 9! (after game 8 - 8 points, after game 9 win - 11 points), also worth noting we only had 11 points until game 13 when we managed a win versus Newcastle.

we are already 26% towards last seasons total points tally......after 8% of the season.

AND, we have finally beaten a top 6 side. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:
When Jota had the shot somehow Trezeguet was in the lcf position and wanted a quick throw out. Martinez instead told him get back to your position you're messing with the plan. Brilliant stuff from our keeper. We allowed them our right so we could dominate our left. TAA and Gomez crumbled.

Bit of both here, I think.

Klopp would have known:

  • Grealish was our biggest threat
  • TAA isn't a great defender (absolutely brilliant going forward, though!)
  • Matt Cash is new to the league

So he set up with Robertson getting forward, most attacks heading down our right and TAA sitting deeper than usual.

Problem was, Smith knew this and gave instructions to get the ball across the field or down the line on our left, knowing Van Dyke would shuffle slightly to their left to cover the advanced Robertson and that meant more ground to cover for Gomez and TAA - exposing them.

While most (if not all) our goals came down our left, a great example was our 2nd. Ollie gains possession, holds up the play while heading to the left and plays back to Jack - then immediately makes a run down the line for the ball over the top. TAA had no clue whether to stay or go (he stayed - wrong choice) and Gomez had too much to do to cover. Ollie makes him look silly: 2-0 Villa.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Bit of both here, I think.

Klopp would have known:

  • Grealish was our biggest threat
  • TAA isn't a great defender (absolutely brilliant going forward, though!)
  • Matt Cash is new to the league

So he set up with Robertson getting forward, most attacks heading down our right and TAA sitting deeper than usual.

Problem was, Smith knew this and gave instructions to get the ball across the field or down the line on our left, knowing Van Dyke would shuffle slightly to their left to cover the advanced Robertson and that meant more ground to cover for Gomez and TAA - exposing them.

While most (if not all) our goals came down our left, a great example was our 2nd. Ollie gains possession, holds up the play while heading to the left and plays back to Jack - then immediately makes a run down the line for the ball over the top. TAA had no clue whether to stay or go (he stayed - wrong choice) and Gomez had too much to do to cover. Ollie makes him look silly: 2-0 Villa.

 

Dean Smith said after the game that we wanted them to only attack down one side. He also alluded to not allowing them to pass through the middle as Jack confirmed in his interview too. Risky but excellent plan.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I couldn't actually find the thread, but I was sure someone on this forum made a thread 3 weeks ago ish, where they said someone is soon due a proper spanking from us. Or something along those lines. 

Just wanted to tip my hat. Well played. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

By the time the next game comes around he would have been here 2 years as he joined during the International break in October 2018

What a magnificent appointment, every year just gets better and better.

Those calling for his head 7-8 months ago must be feeling very silly now

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I couldn't actually find the thread, but I was sure someone on this forum made a thread 3 weeks ago ish, where they said someone is soon due a proper spanking from us. Or something along those lines. 

Just wanted to tip my hat. Well played. 

Was after the Sheffield United game. I didnt see it happening so soon myself, never mind against Liverpool 😂

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Credit to Dean and his back up team - I doubted him in March but am delighted to be proved wrong - the future looks rosy 

Was the same here and I'm starting to think that the coaching was always ok and that the players were not gelled and in some cases not good enough to execute our game plans.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Was the same here and I'm starting to think that the coaching was always ok and that the players were not gelled and in some cases not good enough to execute our game plans.

Maybe, I think Dean and his staff learned a lot last season, he was/is new to this level and fairly inexperienced. 

Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors I think/hope that Shakespeare has also brought some things to an inexperienced backroom team that we perhaps lacked last season.

This absolutely not meant to be taking anything away from Smith, learning from mistakes and developing is a huge part of the job and I was honestly doubtful he was up to it long term.

Early days yet but things look very promising, the way we exploited Liverpools weaknesses, closed down the channels and punished their high defensive line in a systematic way was a joy to watch.

Obviously getting a couple of quality players in helps up pull off tactics like this but I can't really remember us playing such a tactically disciplined game in both defense and attack last season.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, sne said:

Maybe, I think Dean and his staff learned a lot last season, he was/is new to this level and fairly inexperienced. 

Without knowing what goes on behind closed doors I think/hope that Shakespeare has also brought some things to an inexperienced backroom team that we perhaps lacked last season.

This absolutely not meant to be taking anything away from Smith, learning from mistakes and developing is a huge part of the job and I was honestly doubtful he was up to it long term.

Early days yet but things look very promising, the way we exploited Liverpools weaknesses, closed down the channels and punished their high defensive line in a systematic way was a joy to watch.

Obviously getting a couple of quality players in helps up pull off tactics like this but I can't really remember us playing such a tactically disciplined game in both defense and attack last season.

Your opening line is 100% the case and adding that to the player turn around is like the impossible scenario for expecting success.

Love that we were able to bring in Shakespeare and everything he adds to the table, the fact that he and Dean are chums and both Villa fans is fantanstic, they want this for the club just like us fans do.

Improving the squad is the key to getting success, before the signings came in I had posted that Samatta Trez and Connor were the ones that should make way for better quality, looks like Watkins and Barkley are in another league, same goes for Matty Cash, I love Fred but can see already what better gives us as a unit. 

What we do off the ball is imperative to maintaining and even improving this wonderful start to the season and being ultra critical (hard after the pool game), I'd like to see Trez and Targs work on what they do off the ball, as good as they were, Trez in particular doesn't read the game well but the newbies are showing us what better players bring to the table and hopefully it raises everyone's game too.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of use Terms of Use, Cookies We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Â