Dean Smith

Demitri_C

28 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Club legend?

10 game winning streak, promoted at the first attempt. Playoff final euphoria, got us to a cup final, kept us up against all odds with a completely rehauled squad. 7-2 win over Liverpool.

Not bad for just c 2 years.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

To be fair to them, Liverpool's players, manager and fans have been nothing but classy. Its their media pundit pals and fans of other clubs who want to make excuses for or demonize Liverpool. Its not complex, Smith and our players had a great performance and Liverpool and Klopp kept pushing to get back into the game and conceded as they did so. They are still a great team with a great manager.

If this was Leeds everyone would be celebrating champagne football and rightly so.

Have you been on the fan forums, if so you would know theres not been much class about them or there words.

Klopp has been fantastic that's about it, the pundits have been complete jerks over it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

I'm working on it Dave.lol.....a few curved balls should do it.

Dont work to hard mate, you may actually start to feel better, ever so slightly.  😆

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Club legend?

10 game winning streak, promoted at the first attempt. Playoff final euphoria, got us to a cup final, kept us up against all odds with a completely rehauled squad. 7-2 win over Liverpool.

Very much getting there.  If he wins a cup or gets us back into europe then definitely as that's all we've achieved in recent decades, and to equal it from where we were would be legendary. You can definitely argue that even without achieving either of those, he is already. 

Proud i didn't join those calling for his sacking,  even more glad that the owners stood by him and have backed him. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, QldVilla said:

The thing about Smith for me Was when he first came in was the way he talked about the team and his philosophy, you could tell there was a methodology there. He lost his way a little bit last season, probably through a little inexperience at PL level, but he was able to correct it, where a lot of managers would have failed. The other thing that says a lot to me is John Terry. He has been coached by some of the best managers in world football, he doesn’t suffer fools and has been a loyal assistant and hasn’t taken the easy route to management. Says a lot to me that Terry sticks around and continues his apprenticeship and that he feels he is learning from Smith as part of his own development.

My sentiments too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Have you been on the fan forums, if so you would know theres not been much class about them or there words.

Klopp has been fantastic that's about it, the pundits have been complete jerks over it.

It just annoys me, how some folk can be so narrow minded towards Liverpools defeat......There are a fantastic team.

They just came up against a better one on the night.

We have a long way to go, but the transformation the other night cannot go amiss.....its encouraging......but it is 3 games in, we have a long way to go and we all know how arduous seasons in this league can be.

Liverpool have proved their ability to be consistent, no one can take that away from them.....but equally no can take away our ability on the night, but making glib statements that Liverpool was crap.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TRO said:

It just annoys me, how some folk can be so narrow minded towards Liverpools defeat......There are a fantastic team.

We have a long way to go, but the transformation the other night cannot go amiss.....its encouraging......but it is 3 games in, we have a long way to go and we all know how arduous seasons in this league can be.

Liverpool have proved their ability to be consistent, no one can take that away from them.....but equally no can take away our ability on the night, but making glib statements that Liverpool was crap.

It is exactly as you say.

Liverpool played like they always do. Jack, Barkley, Watkins and McGinn simply were too much for them on the day. That being said, Mane, Henderson and Alisson out of the team certainly did not help them.

Imagine if we lost Martinez, Luiz and Jack

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It is exactly as you say.

Liverpool played like they always do. Jack, Barkley, Watkins and McGinn simply were too much for them on the day. That being said, Mane, Henderson and Alisson out of the team certainly did not help them.

Imagine if we lost Martinez, Luiz and Jack

A bit like losing Heaton, mcginn and Wesley for large parts of a season? Yet you heavily criticised him a lot last season. Completely ignoring the mitigating circumstances.

5 minutes ago, TRO said:

I do think they played to there usual ways, I do also think those Liverpool stars looked at ours and thought they were playing the same team they did last season, took us for granted they did and thought wed be a push over.

Liverpool were twisted inside out for a good number of reason, were they bad though, I do not think they were and excuses can not be made for them. On the night they got out thought and out played by a better Coach a d better players, Klopp wouldn't of given Smith his Dues if hed of thought his team play rubbish, not at all.

Liverpool are an excellent side that caught off guard and yes its early days for us but after that display it would be unwise for any team to face us and mistaken us for easy competition after that win.

Manchester United are the ones I would of most liked to of done that to, oh and Leeds, for the love of god let's do it to leeds.

I would shave my Butt hair off and post it to Leeds if we spanked them 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

A bit like losing Heaton, mcginn and Wesley for large parts of a season? Yet you heavily criticised him a lot last season. Completely ignoring the mitigating circumstances.

That implies Wesley is one of our better players. I loled. 

19 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I cannot say anything else but admitting he has my full backing now. Anything else would be hypocritical of me.

I cannot believe what we just did. I am still sitting here shell shocked.

Long may it continue. Well done everyone at AVFC

Takes a big man to see things differently.....I too have had my doubts, But I see things happening now that i can mirror what happened under Ron Saunders......not everything is the same, but some things I see are so very similar.

There could still be rocks in the road ahead.....but I think he has done enough to show he can deal with adversity.

Its ironic to say, but maybe that first season and the adversity we faced was the making of him as a manager......I am not privvy to know behind the scenes what he can and can't do, but as a group they have all shown a togetherness of the main objective.

I just hope now having seen the best team in the world and the best manager, humbled....that we too can learn from that when assessing our own team and not jump too quickly to criticise, when we have a reversal.

I take responsibility for my own moans at times and recognise, they may have been premature and unfair.

I think we have a thing going now and all the claims of gradual improvement is tangible.....I am not trying to be naive and suggest, everything is rosey in the garden( with individuals on and off the pitch), there is always the odd antagonist behind the scenes or damaged ego......but overall it does look like the ship is on course.

8 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I do think they played to there usual ways, I do also think those Liverpool stars looked at ours and thought they were playing the same team they did last season, took us for granted they did and thought wed be a push over.

Liverpool were twisted inside out for a good number of reason, were they bad though, I do not think they were and excuses can not be made for them. On the night they got out thought and out played by a better Coach a d better players, Klopp wouldn't of given Smith his Dues if hed of thought his team play rubbish, not at all.

Liverpool are an excellent side that caught off guard and yes its early days for us but after that display it would be unwise for any team to face us and mistaken us for easy competition after that win.

Manchester United are the ones I would of most liked to of done that to, oh and Leeds, for the love of god let's do it to leeds.

I would shave my Butt hair off and post it to Leeds if we spanked them 🤣

did you build yourself up to that cresendo Dave or was it busting to come out after every line.lol

They may well of took us for granted, I accept that, but that would be their folly.....we executed our work well.

as Paul Merson said.....you have to be at it, in this league......Liverpool know that better than anyone.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

• Heaton was a big miss
  • McGinn was in and out and his formed dropped before his injury....but granted a fully functioning McGinn was a big miss
  • Wesley had his critics, before his injury so it would be amiss to claim he was a big miss, unless you mean his general play as opposed to his goals.

Look, in light of the changes in personnel and fortunes, we are all wiser....it would equally be folly to suggest last season was ok, because it wasn't.

However, we can all see clearer now, how the first season is so,so difficult and the fact we got over line can never be praise enough....it was crucial.

I think many of us, not just Villalad had our doubting moments and feelings of frustration that got the better of us.....Bravo to those that didn't.

Its not a competition to see who was right and who was wrong, everyone has their opinions and entitled to them, thats the essence of a forum.....but I think we can all relax a bit to know the ship is back on course and the storm has passed.

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I cannot say anything else but admitting he has my full backing now. Anything else would be hypocritical of me.

I cannot believe what we just did. I am still sitting here shell shocked.

Long may it continue. Well done everyone at AVFC

I have always seen you more of a devils advocate than a potent critic.

you must be happy with this start.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TRO said:
  • Heaton was a big miss
  • McGinn was in and out and his formed dropped before his injury....but granted a fully functioning McGinn was a big miss
  • Wesley had his critics, before his injury so it would be amiss to claim he was a big miss, unless you mean his general play as opposed to his goals.

Look, in light of the changes in personnel and fortunes, we are all wiser....it would equally be folly to suggest last season was ok, because it wasn't.

However, we can all see clearer now, how the first season is so,so difficult and the fact we got over line can never be praise enough....it was crucial.

I think many of us, not just Villalad had our doubting moments and feelings of frustration that got the better of us.....Bravo to those that didn't.

Its not a competition to see who was right and who was wrong, everyone has their opinions and entitled to them, thats the essence of a forum.....but I think we can all relax a bit to know the ship is back on course and the storm has passed.

Not my intention at all. Trying to point out the hypocritical nature of some of the views from last season. It's easy in hindsight definitely, but I thought it was quite clear how difficult Dean had it last season. 

Imagine if, like many wanted, Dean had been sacked. I wonder where we might be and how bad things could've been for us. 

I'm glad, for starters, that the board saw the future with dean. It's good we have the people at the top of this club making the right decisions. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

No not at all.

It was the manner of the defeats that bugged me.

I can accept losing games. But don't go out with a whimper. Players didn't turn up at times last season and it's so frustrating as a fan.

Mentality seem to have completely changed. But not for the B team. Seeing them against Stoke gave me horrific flashbacks from what we used to be. And that may suggest it had nothing to do with Dean. Some of our players may just be really weak mentally and it scares me.

The likes of Lansbury, Hause and Guilbert are not trustable. God help us if we get some key injuries.

Edited by villalad21

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

No not at all.

It was the manner of the defeats that bugged me.

I can accept losing games. But don't go out with a whimper. Players didn't turn up at times last season and it's so frustrating as a fan.

Mentality seem to have completely changed. But not for the B team. Seeing them against Stoke gave me horrific flashbacks from what we used to be. And that may suggest it had nothing to do with Dean. Some of our players may just be really weak mentally and it scares me.

Liverpool lost 7-2. 7-2. They completely gave up and lost with a whimper. But in the post about it you said 'allison, mane and Henderson loss didn't help them'. 

Agreed though, and like a select few on here suggested, it was the players and not the manager who was our downfall. The players weren't good enough. 

Takes a big man to admit theyve changed their tune though and changed their thoughts, so will commend you on that.

Â