Dean Smith

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Deano can't win. Everybody loved his gung ho, outscore the opposition, all out attack style, until the defensive naiivete started to cost us, and the Smith out mutterings started. Then he tightened up the defence and got praise for being pragmatic and learning when to sit back and defend. Last night was back to the swashbuckling - but the defence did their job when necessary, so maybe he's now got the balance right? 

Maybe we had a bit more of a plan, little more organised or dare I say it a lot less naive

29 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

He specifically said I've been in Latin countries and that's what they're like. And that Lamela will sleep well because that's what the Latin culture has bred in him. Whether he meant Latin football or not is a moot point. It's not on. Messi is Latin and gets chunks kicked out of him every game and stays on his feet. So even saying Latin football is a dangerous game.

He should have focused on Lamela and not his race. British players have done it too. 

I agree to a point. This is why I would have preferred him to be challenged by Sky on it. Not a spineless apology.

‘I’ve played in a Latin country, I’ve worked in Latin countries, I know how they see the game.‘

I think the football aspect is not a moot point. It is the whole point. The whole frame of reference was his experience on the football pitch.

I also strongly disagree that people should be brought before the court for saying what they think (*Exceptions apply). I’m not defending what he said but rather his right to say it.

##anyway we should continue this debate in the punditry thread I suppose.

Edited by GENTLEMAN

12 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Deano can't win. Everybody loved his gung ho, outscore the opposition, all out attack style, until the defensive naiivete started to cost us, and the Smith out mutterings started. Then he tightened up the defence and got praise for being pragmatic and learning when to sit back and defend a lead. Last night was back to the swashbuckling - but the defence did their job when necessary, so maybe he's now got the balance right? I guess it comes down to having the right players to do it - and we're getting there. 

I would say this is the key IMO

13 hours ago, romavillan said:

Whilst having to deal (twice) with periods where a very vocal bunch of fans were calling him shite and wanted him sacked.

Yep. 

Notice @jim& @Eastiehaven't posted much in this thread in recent months. 

No problem insulting the guy and demanding he lost his job though. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, mykeyb said:

I haven't seen any posts or posters having a go at Dean this morning so have to assume that they for once that they have nothing to critic him on after last night.

Long may it continue.

The usual suspects have forgotten there passwords I think 😉

12 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Yep. 

Notice @jim& @Eastiehaven't posted much in this thread in recent months. 

No problem insulting the guy and demanding he lost his job though. 

Critique when is justified and praise when it’s worthy. I even gave him a very good yesterday so pipe down. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

I dont think was anything Klopp could really say. 

I mean from "experts" has been nothing except Liverpool was shit

When the champion manager says what he said who cares what biased dinosaurs have to say.

5 minutes ago, jim said:

Critique when is justified and praise when it’s worthy. I even gave him a very good yesterday so pipe down. 

Well it wasn't justified was it? We stayed up. And love the idea you think it was critique. You absolutely slated him and wanted him sacked. 

No wonder you've piped down.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

LOOOOOL

Enjoy villa fans. This is absolutely hilarous 

My personal highlight:

Seven seven seven seven seven seven seven seven seven seven seven seven.  Seven f***ing two. 

Those introductory comments aged about as well as a 90s comedy series.

• Haha 1

Well, after Fulham people complained about the performance. So, yet again, Dean has sent his team out to answer the questions set by the ultra critical select few villa fans. 

Aston villa 7-2 Liverpool.

Surely, surely he must be winning over even the harshest critics? 

This isn't me trying to get one over on the fans who wanted him gone. I didn't want Dean Smith here in the first place. I was fantastically wrong but couldn't be more happy to be so.

We are a club pulling in the right direction with nothing but positives at the moment. Incredible job done in his 2 years. Literally incredible! 

Dean has gone back to how we were playing at the start of last season,  when we looked decent but got a mixture of bad luck and poor final third execution. 

The same style being played, but with much better players across the pitch shows us how close we were to cracking it at the start of last season (or how far away if your prefer).

Martinez, massive distribution improvement over Heaton. 

Cash, a step up from Fred and Elmo seemingly

Konsa, a years more experience and looking loads better for it

Luiz, a world apart from the player that started last season

Trez, same as Konsa

Barkley, no comparison to what we had before

Watkins, everything Wesley should have been, and more,  and in form.

Jack, McGinn and Mings are all slightly improved from last year too based on early indications. Jack definitely got up to speed quicker than last season. Targett is the only player I think is no better then what we had this time last year, having seemingly not yet pushed on. 

He now has the players to play his style, and is using it to great effect so far. 

Dean stuck by the approach when it wasn't working for too long, and was saved by the covid break allowing him the time to sit back and take stock. He learnt from that, and you would hope if we go through a bad run for whatever reason that he doesnt take so long (or require a global pandemic) to revise his approach. 

I think if we'd gone down he'd have learnt as much as he did, if not more, from the covid break.  I doubt he'd be in a position to rectify it had we gone down though,  and may not have even been given the opportunity. 

Fine margins, but looks to be a great twist of fortune for us,  and could end up being our equivalent of when United nearly sacked Ferguson.  Early days, but I was glad we kept Dean at all stages last season,  and very much stand by that view given our start this season.

• Like 1

Â