Anwar El Ghazi

Villan4Life

He actively looked like trying to get sent off first half. When he steps up and plays, he's a top player but he grabbed Liveremento around the neck whilst he was breaking (brainless or devious) and then blatantly dives in the box. I think the shame got to him as he was up pretty quick but again, it's another brainless move. A season or so back and that'd be a VAR that says he dived and should be getting a yellow. 

As with many things Villa related, the inconsistency is unfortunately consistent and he can't be trusted. That he's still getting starts in the 3rd season here, even with injuries is concerning. 

If there's a more predictable next action than AEG cutting inside and losing the ball during an unsuccessful dribble, I can't think of one. Wingers are supposed to be mercurial and have the ability to surprise. He must lose possession 75%-80% of the time. It certainly feels like that. 

• Like 1

I thought he was fine, but as usual he is a scapegoat for some. He was stupid with the fouls that true but otherwise worked hard, at least tried to track back and was positive with his play unlike Bailey who ran into the opposition time after time. His naivety with the fouls seemed to come from frustration, he clearly cares and this is a player who arguably put in one of his best performances for us only to then be dropped for two months.

• Like 1

The dive pissed me off a lot more than the wrestling, though both should have seen an extra yellow. There's making the most of a foul to get a decision, which seems to be a necessary evil these days, but that was just blatant cheating that doesn't reflect well on the club at all. I don't want to see that from our players.

• Like 1

He's one of our few players with good technique, but his mentality is never going to be strong enough to be consistent at this level. I thought he was decent last night overall though, apart from the stupidity in the first half.

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villa89 said:

Amazing that the ref bottled the decision to send him off, twice. Once for the pull back and again for the dive in the penalty area. 

He had a serious think about stopping the game the ref to send him off, when he dived. Luckily for el Ghazi the play continued for another minute.

• 2 weeks later...

Always finds goal scoring positions hopefully he can become more solid under Gerrard and therefore be more consistent in his performances. 

As a sub he did what he had to stretched their defence , created space for his teammates and kept the ball when needed.

• Like 1

Changed the game, if he hadn't have come on I don't think we'd have won.

He's a matchwinner, most definitely, we need to get the most out of him - he's got all the attributes, just needs to use his physical attributes and dominate oponents, work hard and he can be huge for us. Hopefully Gerrard can get the best of him. There's a great player in there (somewhere)

14 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Another who constantly gets criticised but always seems to create something in a game.

That's not a complete picture. There's a reason why he gets criticism, and it's because more often than not he's completely ineffective. Still, he gets a new start under Gerrard.

• Like 1

Again, we know that El Ghazi has the capability to produce but we just don't see it consistently from him. You'd have a top winger if you could get him to play like he can every game - it'll be very interesting to see what the new coaches do with him. 

Â