John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 hours ago, A'Villan said:

I honestly can't understand some of the tripe that comes from sport spectators. It's one thing to belittle and undermine someone relentlessly like it's a fulfilling pastime, but to go about it like it represents a credible and reasonable take on things is something else entirely and has me scratching my head. And yet some will get so enthralled in it all it's like they lose sight of their own intent, which is to slate their target, sometimes obnoxiously, and consequently they then begin to believe that what they've said is a true reflection.

He's an absolute work horse, that's been a standout trait, remember? Injuries take time to recover from, remember? Perhaps some have lost sight of that too.

Lean and toned doesn't necessarily mean healthy or athletic either. Long story short, McGinn is not, and hasn't been whilst playing for us, overweight. Stocky at best.

If you cant see the difference between the McGinn that arrived from Hibs and started the PL season with the one that ended the season I don't know what to say. He was clearly in bad shape - by his standards and anyone else's.

I am sure he is working hard. I am sure he wants to get back to his best. No doubt. Great work rate. Top fella by all accounts.

It is my belief though that whilst injured he clearly ****ed himself and gave himself a mammoth task to get back to the level he was at before. There is being off the pace and then there is the state he was in. The guy could barely jog at times.

That being the case, he shouldn't have been picked.  He was very clearly overweight and unfit.  Not quite as unfit as 'Drinky' but still miles off the pace.  Smith seems to have a problem identifying players who aren't fit enough to start a Premier League game.  Seeing "loaf of bread" Drinkwater hauling his carcass around the pitch made me feel I was rash to write off my chances of ever being a top flight footballer.

• Haha 1

Hang on now a minute, wasn't it reported that he had a set back with his injury just before coming back after the lockdown? But nevertheless played to the best of his ability. Absent for a long time + another injury + wasn't fully fit, he was still ok and in the last games more or less back to his best. That's super John McGinn to me.

Regarding his shape, he is cleary not in bad shape or anywere near fat. He is compact, has the legs of a lumber jack and a mighty strong ass. Anyone of you saying anything bad about his shape I'd like to have him rushing in full pace towards you and give you one of his trade mark tackles.

Some players are fit because they're got incredible genetics, some are fitness freaks who are up at four am on their day off and on the watt bike, some are gym bunnies, and some need football, football training, football matches, just...football. I reckon McGinn is one of those - the more we play the better he'll be.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Risso said:

That being the case, he shouldn't have been picked.  He was very clearly overweight and unfit.  Not quite as unfit as 'Drinky' but still miles off the pace.  Smith seems to have a problem identifying players who aren't fit enough to start a Premier League game.  Seeing "loaf of bread" Drinkwater hauling his carcass around the pitch made me feel I was rash to write off my chances of ever being a top flight footballer.

But then he was fit enough to be our best player vs Arsenal and arguably West Ham and maybe wouldn’t have been if he hadn’t played those games, so it’s a circular argument.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

If you cant see the difference between the McGinn that arrived from Hibs and started the PL season with the one that ended the season I don't know what to say. He was clearly in bad shape - by his standards and anyone else's.

I am sure he is working hard. I am sure he wants to get back to his best. No doubt. Great work rate. Top fella by all accounts.

It is my belief though that whilst injured he clearly ****ed himself and gave himself a mammoth task to get back to the level he was at before. There is being off the pace and then there is the state he was in. The guy could barely jog at times.

I could see that McGinn was not as sharp, tenacious, relentless and a commanding presence as he was when making himself known to the Villa faithful's delight, and opposition's despair. Sure, I'm not denying that. However you could still see the desire there. He'll get back to his old self, and even if he doesn't, I find it pathetic to be frank that people would rather raid the airwaves with jibes than to feel any level of empathy for the man, because gratefulness for the effort McGinn invests daily clearly isn't on the cards. And forget all that even, to suggest he was fat is straight up nonsense, like honestly, I don't know if some understand even conceptually what the demands of peak performance at this level are, let alone having experience of it.

22 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

But then he was fit enough to be our best player vs Arsenal and arguably West Ham and maybe wouldn’t have been if he hadn’t played those games, so it’s a circular argument.

Against arsenal he was woeful. He did get a 2nd wind after the 2nd drinks break but before that he was crap. Our best ayer was guilbert who shut down arsenal completely down the left. 

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Against arsenal he was woeful. He did get a 2nd wind after the 2nd drinks break but before that he was crap. Our best ayer was guilbert who shut down arsenal completely down the left. 

Couldn’t disagree more on McGinn. Agree Guilbert was great. 

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Dynamic, sitting deeper and spraying passes all over the park. Think John is going to be a completely different player this season.

Exciting times, if we can just get the gk, mc & rw sorted, i think we will look a completely different team. (well - we almost will be with martinez, cash, mc, rw, watkins - so 5/11 new players in the first 11 if we get what we need)

• Like 1

McGinn wasn’t awful against Arsenal by any stretch of the imagination. 

He was a major factor in nullifying them in the 2nd half. Sitting in a 4-4-2 esque shape off the ball with McGinn harassing from the front, I thought he was class. 

• Like 2

John is certainly a different shape compared to his 2 brothers . Both Stephen  (St Mirren) and Paul , who plays for us, are fairly slim in comparison. .........they certainly don't have Johns arse😄.

Perhaps its because he is a twin...........but you would have thought that would have made him more slight. 🤨

Mcginn got better with each passing game after lockdown. He struggled with the strength of the premier League players but got stronger physically as the season wore on. 

His injury was a bit freakish but actually I believe it did him good to get out of the game and reassess his own game. I believe he's one of our most important players and adds tenacity to our midfield.

Â