John McGinn

PompeyVillan

2 hours ago, Phil Silvers said:

He could open a tin of beans with that left foot

As long as he doesn’t eat the contents after he opens it we’ll be alright. Need him fit, sharp and healthy for the season. 

• Haha 2

Don't think McGinn is getting enough credit for his role in the escape job.

Our performances this season very obviously correlated with his availability. We weren't playing brilliantly when he got injured, but we looked much more like 16th / 17th material, than the relegation fodder we dished up when he broke his ankle.

I love that interview he's given where he talks about instilling incoming players with an understanding of the club's values and heritage. He'll be vital to our performances next season, and he might even be able to persuade Jack to give it another season.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, roonst83 said:

As long as he doesn’t eat the contents after he opens it we’ll be alright. Need him fit, sharp and healthy for the season. 

As I said in the kit thread, where you can see his ribs sticking through his shirt, I’m not too worried about this fan idea that he’s overweight haha. 

I don't think it's a coincidence that our last few results coincided with him seemingly getting up to speed after a slow restart, presumably because of his injuries.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think it's a coincidence that our last few results coincided with him seemingly getting up to speed after a slow restart, presumably because of his injuries.

I agree. It was always going to take time.

I seen him gradually improve as each game went on after the season resumed and look forward to seeing him again this coming season and back to his best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I think it helped that he played higher up and limited the amount of energy he had to use up when pressing.  Even before his injury he was generally out of puff from having to cover so much ground.  Another thing Dean changed up after the restart and helped save us.

On 15/07/2020 at 13:27, rodders0223 said:

I expected him to be sluggish, off the pace, touch not quite right. Is it really any excuse though for the physical condition he has come back in? Look at the state of him.

He needs to lose some timber, but didn't he pick up a shin problem too?....that could be the reason.

3 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

I'd love to see us give him a new contract, now is the time to do it in my view.

Swore we gave him a new 5 year deal at the start of the campaign. Him, hourihane and Jack all got improved deals. 

13 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

We did and I’d try and extend Jack and McGinn’s contracts this summer and increase their money with us staying up.

I'd do it every summer if possible. Obviously depending on the club situation etc. 1 year extensions, pay rise and a few extra bonuses. It's stuff like this that needs to be done with our best players so we don't end up in a situation like Bournemouth with Fraser (gone on a free) or Aubameyang at Arsenal (1 year left and dithering over a new contract).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

I'd do it every summer if possible. Obviously depending on the club situation etc. 1 year extensions, pay rise and a few extra bonuses. It's stuff like this that needs to be done with our best players so we don't end up in a situation like Bournemouth with Fraser (gone on a free) or Aubameyang at Arsenal (1 year left and dithering over a new contract).

I agree and I think now is a good time to do it, he has just been out injured which may have discouraged interest in him. We should seize on that and also show faith in him offering it after his spell out.

• Like 1

Â