John McGinn

PompeyVillan

13 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Jack loses the ball once or twice and people take it as it should be—it happens. McGinn loses the ball once or twice and there's panic. He was fine. Some moments of impressive pace and harrying. It's the first game of the season. 

Thought the same thing. I would like this post but I'm out of reactions.

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 2

To be fair, he came back from injury into lockdown, played a lot of minutes after lockdown, then a short break into a reduced pre-season.  I don’t think he was particularly good or bad today, some good, some ok, some bad - but with a bit of confidence (team wise) and speed in the team I think we will see him improve to be the player most hoped he would be in prem.  some peeps have either crazy expectations or very short memories.

• Like 1

There were a few times in the second time where he attempted an tackle which seemed very unlikely to succeed high up the pitch and got easily avoided and leaving meters behind him exposed. I'm not sure you can attribute poor decision making to match-fitness. I don't think he's poor, but I don't think he's anywhere near as good as many of us thought/hoped he would be. He's an average/decent midfielder who shouldn't be one of the first names on the sheet in a premier league team. I do think that as the season goes on he will marginally improve, but I doubt he'll achieve the heights we all hoped he would. Hope I'm wrong 

• Like 2

Get another quality midfielder in, agree that he needs competition.

We know what he can do but he seems to be a bit short of that quality now. Despite that he’s guaranteed a start which is not good enough.

Â