John McGinn

PompeyVillan

Just now, Kiwivillan said:

Grealish had the odd bad game last season. The way McGinn was getting written off in match thread was unreal

I stay away from the MT during the game.😅 It's just venting. Shouting into the wind. I do mine venting at match-time down both my brothers ear holes.

Ppl aren’t writing McGinn off, I think it’s merely a case of stating the obvious...... that we need better options in CM. We can’t afford too much sentiment if we’re striving for better, we have to keep taking steps to improve. We need a quality alternative in CM to either compliment or replace McGinn & Hourihane when they’re not at it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

How much longer can we role out the ‘he doesn’t look match fit’ excuse? 

As each game passes by, the less I think he is cut out for this level, certainly as a starter at least. 

We need to bring in a big defensive unit alongside Luiz and play Grealish in front of them. Then buy another quick winger to deliver into Watkins.

Im sorry, I just can’t remember the last time McGinn played well. (Still hard not to love him though).

Last two games last season he’s done very well I guess.

5 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

Ppl aren’t writing McGinn off, I think it’s merely a case of stating the obvious...... that we need better options in CM. We can’t afford too much sentiment if we’re striving for better, we have to keep taking steps to improve. We need a quality alternative in CM to either compliment or replace McGinn & Hourihane when they’re not at it. 

Pretty much

Mcginn was our worst player today followed by targett. He couldn't do shit. He made the game so much more difficult than it had to be by standing in a position where he couldn't receive the ball and allowing a cb to stay in formation whilst marking him. It was too much of what we saw last season and shows we haven't learnt anything. Our best play came after keinan came on and we moved to a 2 in the middle where mcginn was forced deeper and he showed for the ball and we had movement upfront. It isn't a question of ability it is a question of positioning and effort and sadly mcginn is showing that he either won't move or can't move to show for the ball. 

Further to that he looks so fat. I know the whole he is a prem player he isn't fat thing. Well comparing him to mings or konsa or watkins and he looks larger he looks to be a similar size to o'connel and lundstrum no wonder he can't run around for the full 90. He also runs tits forward which really can't help either. 

• Confused 1

At times for us he was frustrating, especially some of his passing. Putting him into a league higher and things show up even more.

He seems to have concentrated too much in the gym to do weights and bulk the muscle obviously to try to deal with stronger players in the English Premier League..........but he needs to concentrate more on his cardio as his greatest strength was always getting about the pitch for 90 minutes and going box to box.............................he now looks done very quickly.

Looks better when in more of a DM role but even there he should be breaking up play more and still be able to get forward more and make positive runs towards the opposing goal. Opposing coaches have realised what he is all about and now seem to nullify his game.

Smith should be looking for another midfielder and jolt McGinn to work harder to try and get a starting position back. ....................especially on his cardio. At present he is a good squad player but shouldn't be a guaranteed starter.

Didn't need to bulk up so much with his arse shielding anyway. 😀

Edited by newhavenhibby
  • Like 3

I thought he looked better than he had done for a long time, yesterday - a lot more mobile and tenacious, like he'd recovered the fitness he'd lost after his injury/lockdown. It wasn't a stellar performance but certainly not one that I'd slate him for. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Do people have twilight zone glasses? I'd wager there were times when he was harrying that he had the quickest top speed on the pitch.

The fat thing too?

I've only seen brief highlights but seen comments he was ok and others saying awful needs to be dropped. I'm a big fan so hope was somewhere in the middle and he'll grow into games soon

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

I've only seen brief highlights but seen comments he was ok and others saying awful needs to be dropped. I'm a big fan so hope was somewhere in the middle and he'll grow into games soon

It seems he is being over analysed by fans at the moment.  Every now and then a player seems to come under scrutiny and it’s Johns turn.  He was fine and worthy of his place. No harm in a bit of competition though. 

There's no doubt that currently, at PL level he goes missing in games far too often. There have been very low passes attempted stats (for a CM) which back this up.

Does he have the confidence to get on the ball in tight spaces at PL level? I'm not convinced he does.

Was poor before the injury and has been awful since. He just isn't a very good PL player, average at best is his ceiling.

I would say aside from using his body well he really does lack intelligence on the pitch. Struggles to find space, struggles to get into the game, struggles to get on the ball.
This is since day one against Spurs.

Can pop up with a goal, can rifle a shot, can roll someone. That's about it at this level.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Â