John McGinn

PompeyVillan

On 13/09/2020 at 12:32, newhavenhibby said:

John is certainly a different shape compared to his 2 brothers . Both Stephen  (St Mirren) and Paul , who plays for us, are fairly slim in comparison. .........they certainly don't have Johns arse😄.

Perhaps its because he is a twin...........but you would have thought that would have made him more slight. 🤨

Stephen now a Hibee, I am told

23 minutes ago, villa_shere said:

McGinn needs to stay and play in the oppositions half. 

he’s a good player but his tackling and tracking back is unreliable. His asset is his link up play

His best assets are his tackling and his ability to drive the ball forward from deep whereas his play in the opposition third is mostly ineffectual unless one player presses him and he can turn them. He is kept being played as a cam which means he doesn't come short to receive the ball, he stays stationary next to the striker so one player can mark them both and he is selfish in and around the box taking pot shots that are straight at the keeper which would be alright if we had a player who gambled (like ollie seems to) but it is a waste and we lose the ball because of it. His finishing works best when he gets into the box late and in space. He is just so bad as a cam it is unbelievable 9/10 times he is among our 3 worst performers in those games and against arsenal except for the last 10 minutes he was our worst player. 

Maybe I'm just making excuses for him because I want him to be good for us but he has genuinely been bad for most of this season (even if he wasn't 100% fit) and I often thought he was hindering us as a team especially early on as he kept forcing Jack to come deeper and deeper to receive the ball. 

For me mcginns ability to turn, win fouls and play accurate long balls are best utilised in a deeper role than he currently has and it pains me to watch him play as cam because it nullifies those attributes and makes me just want to buy another box to box midfielder instead of him. At least that way we will get some pace, power and height in the midfield and another option to pass the ball to. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

His best assets are his tackling and his ability to drive the ball forward from deep whereas his play in the opposition third is mostly ineffectual unless one player presses him and he can turn them. He is kept being played as a cam which means he doesn't come short to receive the ball, he stays stationary next to the striker so one player can mark them both and he is selfish in and around the box taking pot shots that are straight at the keeper which would be alright if we had a player who gambled (like ollie seems to) but it is a waste and we lose the ball because of it. His finishing works best when he gets into the box late and in space. He is just so bad as a cam it is unbelievable 9/10 times he is among our 3 worst performers in those games and against arsenal except for the last 10 minutes he was our worst player. 

Maybe I'm just making excuses for him because I want him to be good for us but he has genuinely been bad for most of this season (even if he wasn't 100% fit) and I often thought he was hindering us as a team especially early on as he kept forcing Jack to come deeper and deeper to receive the ball. 

For me mcginns ability to turn, win fouls and play accurate long balls are best utilised in a deeper role than he currently has and it pains me to watch him play as cam because it nullifies those attributes and makes me just want to buy another box to box midfielder instead of him. At least that way we will get some pace, power and height in the midfield and another option to pass the ball to. 

How true.....................even up here, once opposition coaches watched him for a while it was obvious that they would instruct a second player to close the space down . Even if they don't get the ball cleanly a subtle foul can stop any sort of momentum.  Add then the extra power and strength in the English Premiership and his trademark arse roll and turn away doesn't become anywhere near as effective.

I am also hoping as I am sure you are, once 100% fit then he can step up the extra gear to make him more of a dominating player in your League.  If this doesn't happen and Smith brings in another box to box midfielder I can see John back to the bench and mainly used as a sub.

10 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Agree 100% with the analysis if not quite with your view of him being "so bad it's unbelievable". Deano played him high up the pitch because we had very little goal threat and SJM was one of the few players who looked like he had any kind of threat to the goal. 

I agree its not a role he's well suited to. Hopefully with more attacking players this year he can focus on doing what he does best. Not sure if you watched the Utd freindly but he did exactly that. Played a more true box to box role, breaking up play, driving forward and playing good passes. Getting into the box where he could. Best I've seen him play for ages. 

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

Agree 100% with the analysis if not quite with your view of him being "so bad it's unbelievable". Deano played him high up the pitch because we had very little goal threat and SJM was one of the few players who looked like he had any kind of threat to the goal. 

I agree its not a role he's well suited to. Hopefully with more attacking players this year he can focus on doing what he does best. Not sure if you watched the Utd freindly but he did exactly that. Played a more true box to box role, breaking up play, driving forward and playing good passes. Getting into the box where he could. Best I've seen him play for ages. 

I honestly felt the Liverpool game was mcginns best game last season (up until the subs) he was our deepest player for most of the game and he brought the ball forward quickly allowing us to bypass their high press, he got better at making plays in their third as well because we had the advantage once the press was beaten we had an extra man attacking so he was creating space for us. He made some great little turns and made some very good passes but again he was quite wasteful in and around the box because he too 2 unnecessary shots that had basically no chance of going in. 

He needs to up his game if he's to be a guarantied starter. As it is now I really would not mind us bringing in a new CM.

Such a shame the Weston McKennie thing never happened. Had a fantastic debut for Juve last night.

I said it time and time again, he simply has to play deep. 

His attributes are his work rate and a burst of pace to break through the lines. Neither are particularly important when you're playing off the CF. 

In that position you need skill and composure, JM doesn't have a great deal of either. 

His position is completely wrong

Â