Neil Taylor

One For The Road

16 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Only Grealish and Engels had better passing success - and Engels only played 17 passes (compared to Taylor’s 30). 

Different types of passes though. Taylor's are usually infield, rarely finds forward pass into feet...or even into the channel.

He did well but tbh I would replace him straight away.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Given who we were playing, I thought that was probably his best game for us. Surprisingly solid and decent on the ball for the most part. 

True, I really don't like him as a player because he is woeful going forward and to my mind, attack is the first line of defence in this League, but... he was pretty good in defence. It's just not enough.

• Like 1

When the challenges came right at him he was good actually. No one got round him.

Didn't look comfortable to me a lot of the time though, ball spooning up in the air around him. Very unsure of him and Mings communicating, they were either too narrow or had someone between them and neither marking.

So negative in possession, it kills moves dead. It kills us holding possession at all dead. Ball makes it's way out to him, he ponders, waits for everyone to get closed down then goes back to the CB who now has few options other than the keeper.

Why a new £10-14m player wouldn't start ahead of him is perplexing. I worry for us in that area if Taylor is a better defensive option.

Hause? Mings? Give me McGinn or Marvelous there ahead of Taylor.

Edited by Tomaszk

I've always thought he is a good defensive fullback and today didn't change my opinion. He did well today against very tough opposition, proving that he is an adequate backup to Targett. I'm sure Targett will be eased in, as will the other new signings. Bournemouth should be a more open game, so I'm sure we'll see a few more offensive changes in that game.

He must be the stronger defensively of him and Targett. I would expect Taylor to be replaced in the next 2 home games. 

We might just see him in the games where we expect to defend a lot.. a bit like Bryan Small used to be drafted in and Staunton moved up the pitch when we played a top team

• Like 1

He did get sucked into the middle too often for my liking leaving acres of space on the right.  Luckily they didn't take advantage much but it reminded me of Hutton a lot. 

Â