Neil Taylor

One For The Road

9 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

All Neil Taylor needed to do was not be Jordan Amavi. He succeeded in that. 

Not recovering from a severe knee injury only gets you that far I guess.

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Ironically, I am sure in his first game Bruce put Taylor as a wing back.

That was a fun watch.

At least we weren't shipping our routine 2 or 3 goals down our left hand side.

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

At least we weren't shipping our routine 2 or 3 goals down our left hand side.

We shipped as many goals per game under Bruce in his first season as we did under RDM.

And last season he was dropped for Hutton.

Taylor had a couple few games when he first came in where he was OK, since then he's been largely gash.

2 minutes ago, sne said:

We shipped as many goals per game under Bruce in his first season as we did under RDM.

And last season he was dropped for Hutton.

Taylor had a couple few games when he first came in where he was OK, since then he's been largely gash.

Wasn't talking about Bruce/RDM. Cissokho played most of RDMs games at left back anyway, then Taylor was a massive upgrade on Amavi when he came in. 

16/17
Taylor - 14 - conceded 7
Amavi - 19 - conceded 30
Cissokho - 10 - conceded 13
3 games with a back 3.

17/18
Taylor - 27 - conceded 28

18/19
Taylor - 28 - 32 conceded

Regardless of manager, Taylor was never as bad as Amavi. And this is just from a statistical point of view. Then you have the eye test, where teams routinely targeted Amavi because he as just awful. The likes of Brentford, Barnsley, Fulham and Reading just went at him and scored for fun. Taylor isn't a great left back, I don't think anyone would argue that.

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Wasn't talking about Bruce/RDM. Cissokho played most of RDMs games at left back anyway, then Taylor was a massive upgrade on Amavi when he came in. 

16/17
Taylor - 14 - conceded 7
Amavi - 19 - conceded 30
3 games with a back 3.

17/18

18/19

Regardless of manager, Taylor was never as bad as Amavi. And this is just from a statistical point of view. Then you have the eye test, where teams routinely targeted Amavi because he as just awful. The likes of Brentford, Barnsley, Fulham and Reading just went at him and scored for fun. Taylor isn't a great left back, I don't think anyone would argue that.

As I mentioned Amavi was hampered by having that horror knee injury.

But yeah Amavi was poor, rather have him than Taylor now thou.

On 29/07/2019 at 12:20, kurtsimonw said:

16/17
Taylor - 14 - conceded 7
Amavi - 19 - conceded 30
3 games with a back 3.

17/18

18/19

By those stats are you implying cissokho was our best LB?  As he only conceded 13 in 10?

33 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

By those stats are you implying cissokho was our best LB?  As he only conceded 13 in 10?

Do you need someone to convert it to goals per game for you?

Edited by Cizzler

4 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

Do you need someone to convert it to goals per game for you?

no, but the premise of the statement deserved a similarly pointless response.

saying taylor was a good LB because the team conceded X goals when he played, not accounting for the other players who played, is like saying gabby was class because Benteke scored 15+ goals and gabby played in the same team.

anyone with eyes knows taylor is a terrible terrible LB for anything other than mid level championship.

Edited by MaVilla

1 minute ago, MaVilla said:

no, but the premise of the statement deserved a similarly pointless response.

The premise that Taylor has been better for us than Amavi and Cissokho? How on earth is that a pointless thing to say in the Neil Taylor thread.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Won his battles, defended well, got zilcho help from El Ghazi...but if you cannot find passes at this level you are going to kill the team.

Only Grealish and Engels had better passing success - and Engels only played 17 passes (compared to Taylor’s 30). 

• Like 2

Interesting selection. Guess Dean felt for our first prem game away to top 3 he wanted safety first from full backs and for 70 minutes it worked.

Let's see what happens next week. Home games we need to be on the front foot much more so can see Targett coming in.

Think I'd keep AEM in as I imagine Trez will start and helps having two speaking the same language in that part of the pitch.

Â