Neil Taylor

One For The Road

As this one seems very close I thought he deserved his own thread. I think he is a very useful player and has always looked solid for Wales. Does this mean Amavi is off? 

I'd be happy with this signing as he has Premier league quality should a miracle happen and we were to go up. Definitely a player who could help us push for the play offs.

Pleased if this goes ahead.

Just now, Jareth said:

As #KJT123 has said in other thread, push Amavi up and play them both - good solution for us that... 

I like that idea in theory. Amavi is probably our best crosser but has defensive issues so that could work. Taylor is a better defender imo and will improve us in a key area. Plus he can take set pieces iirc.

I don't quite get the thinking behind this unless Bruce sees Taylor as a starter. I really haven't been impressed with Amavi at all this season so that could well but the case. However if Taylor is here to sit on the bench then I do question the logic of trading up a potentially very dangerous attacking player at this level (yes he hasn't been consistent enough but did at least perform very well in the month he was voted 'player of the month') for £5m (not very much money) and a reserve left back. 

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I don't quite get the thinking behind this unless Bruce sees Taylor as a starter. I really haven't been impressed with Amavi at all this season so that could well but the case. However if Taylor is here to sit on the bench then I do question the logic of trading up a potentially very dangerous attacking player at this level (yes he hasn't been consistent enough but did at least perform very well in the month he was voted 'player of the month') for £5m (not very much money) and a reserve left back. 

He will be signing as a starter surely. As has been mentioned above, maybe he will push Amavi up in to midfield or even as a wing back. Or he just doesn't rate him and Taylor is a direct replacement. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I thought he was a decent player but it seems Swansea fans are delighted he's leaving. Not great. 

I know two Swansea ST holders, and they're over the moon with this move if it happens.  They have suggested that he is very limited, and going forward he lacks end product.  For Wales he can afford to be limited as the Welsh national team generally set-up to be on the counter, but he also has Bale in front of him.  This bit worries me a little, as in this league we should generally be on the front foot.

Some say we can play both him and Amavi.  I would doubt Amavi wants to stunt his development as a LB, tohelp us out on the left wing.  He's already being linked with big money moves away to decent clubs as a LB, I wouldn't be happy with this if it were me.

If its £5m and Ayew - how much are we valuing this player at?  Ayew must be worth £15m?  Or am I living in dream land?

• Like 1

As it hasn't actually happened yet, and as such the details are thin on the ground, I would have difficulty judging something I know nothing about or which doesn't yet exist.  So I'll wait.

9 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you think this? 

Well, from what I've seen he's never really stood out for me in a defensive point of view. He's rather lightweight, and also seems to have trouble with positioning. Gets exposed quite easily imo. He's however decent with the ball, and can also cross. I still think he's a lesser player than Amavi.

Also you have to look at this years results with Swansea, he's really been part of a disastrous defense. I haven't looked up the stats, but my gut feeling is that Swansea have let in less when he's been injured.

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed that it probably doesn't make sense in terms of the swap deal. However I believe the extra money we will getting from this deal will go towards an attacking replacement for Ayew?

So we have sold Ayew, a player who doesn't presumably want to be there, who has done nothing for us all season in return potentially for:-

Taylor:- Who can play left back, right back and in midfield as cover.

Unnamed attacker:- Probably Rhodes?

I think it can be questionable as to whether Taylor is a good Premier League defender but at this level you'd hope he'd be ok as backup and may have a good understanding with Chester if he ever needed to slot into defence. 

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

Also you have to look at this years results with Swansea, he's really been part of a disastrous defense. 

This.

I mean, who would've bought any of our defenders during last season and if they had, we'd be in fits of laughter. 

Lescott is the (kind of) prime example here.

6 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I haven't looked up the stats, but my gut feeling is that Swansea have let in less when he's been injured.

That seems a rather odd presumption. Why not check the facts before making such an accusation? You may well be right but it seems strange that you'd take that stance without checking. He is an international defender after all.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

As #KJT123 has said in other thread, push Amavi up and play them both - good solution for us that... 

Mush rather bjarnason wide left than amavi .  Think Taylor will strongly push amavi for hiS place and may well replace him unless he iMproves his defensive game and fast .

24 minutes ago, mottaloo said:

This.

I mean, who would've bought any of our defenders during last season and if they had, we'd be in fits of laughter. 

Lescott is the (kind of) prime example here.

I would guess the same Swansea fans were very happy with him during their promotion and successful years afterwards in the premier league, until this season. 

• Like 4

Â