Neil Taylor

One For The Road

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Again, not read anything yet but I thought he was excellent today .

...Excellent at defending, which we did plenty of today, but attacking can and should also be a form of defence and he visibly shits himself when he gets the ball during an attack.

Attacking could relieve the defensive pressure on the team were he in possession of the skills needed, but he just isn't. It's painful to watch him kill the momentum every single time.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Genie said:

He was solid and well worthy of a place in the starting 11

2 minutes ago, supermon said:

He was excellent today, probably gets to keep his place based on this performance

I don't disagree that Taylor was very good today, and credit to him for that. I do believe however that whilst he may have the upper hand defensively, Targett certainly has the upper hand going forward, and against Bournemouth Smith will be more attack minded. 

Not a critism of Taylor, but i don't expect him to keep his place against Bournemouth. 

Not to disagree too much with the overall feeling here, but there was one moment when he was sucked helplessly into the middle ball watching, which led to a free shot on goal . . . can't really remember, but it might have been the one Sissoko shanked for a throw-in. Taylor really is much better defending than he is going forwards, but he's still prone to lapses in concentration. 

• Like 1

Was surprisingly relaxed when I heard about him starting today, I thought going with the most settled back 4 in this match was the way to go (& I am definitely not a Taylor fan) - but today, he played very well and fair play to him. Defended well and distribution was fine. I think Smith keeps players in the side if they are playing well and by that token he should start against Bournemouth and I think he will.

However...

Not dismissing Bournemouth (I dont think we can dismiss any team in this league) but, at home, I'd like to think we would set up to be on the front foot and if that's the case Targett would be better suited, so will be interesting to see who gets the nod.

But today, well done Neil 👍

• Like 3

He played pretty well yesterday and doesn’t deserve some of the stick he gets, but it’s a strange one to play him, why spend £14 million on a new left back then talk about Neil taylor being part of the spine of the team and start him, I don’t think Neil Taylor is worth £14 million plus so I’m not sure of the logic Smith has used here.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hobbit Feet said:

He played pretty well yesterday and doesn’t deserve some of the stick he gets, but it’s a strange one to play him, why spend £14 million on a new left back then talk about Neil taylor being part of the spine of the team and start him, I don’t think Neil Taylor is worth £14 million plus so I’m not sure of the logic Smith has used here.

Smith talked before the game about 3 of the back 4 having played 16 games together. I think the logic was, we'll spend an afternoon defending, that back 4 needs to be as well drilled a unit as possible.

Taylor did really well, I would expect to see one of the two full backs change against Bournemouth. Both would be too much.

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Did surprisingly well to be fair to the guy. 

Still need to get the new fullbacks in as soon as we can though. 

Yup.

Was about to post the exact same thing.

Still, it's comforting to see that our back up players actually can hold their own against a good side.

It’s a squad game these days, very few if any players will be ever present and some will be more suited to some games than others. Taylor did pretty well today and isn’t such a weakness as he was, which goes to show that good coaching and organisation can bring the best out of individuals and the team as a whole. Eventually, as the overall quality of the squad improves, I think he will move on, but it takes time and we have made some pretty big strides in an extremely short time period. 

Targett haven't really impressed me in Pre season and Taylor surprised me yesterday.

A bit poor positioning at times, but in general had a good game. Should start next game as well. Targett needs to up his game.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

Taylor for games we will be on the back foot and defending for the majority.

Targett for games we expect to have more of the possesion.

It's a squad game and is good management by Smith.

I expect he will do similar with Elmo and Guilbert to begin with.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

Should start net game as well, didn't do anything to warrant losing his place.

yep i agree...didnt put a foot wrong on saturday. i'm amazed that people suddenly think that targett is going to be the next roberto carlos and tear defenses apart when he showed nothing pre season to suggest this to be the case. not writing the lad off, but the back 5 should keep their places IMO

Disagree that he will start next game. We were always going to be hemmed in at the back against spurs and so we setup to counter with our two quickest wingers. Against Bournemouth it’ll be important to have more overlap that Taylor just doesn’t/can’t provide. 

Fair play to him vs spurs though, he was brought in to play a specific role and I think he performed it reasonably well. 

19 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

yep i agree...didnt put a foot wrong on saturday. i'm amazed that people suddenly think that targett is going to be the next roberto carlos and tear defenses apart when he showed nothing pre season to suggest this to be the case. not writing the lad off, but the back 5 should keep their places IMO

Bildresultat för right dr evil gif

46 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

Has anybody said anything even remotely close to that?

I think people are expecting him to be better than Taylor. Which isn't exactly a surprise seeing as Taylor is dreadful. Although again credit to him for a good performance on the weekend.

Â