Neil Taylor

One For The Road

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

No worries! its 42:40. It looks like this at the start...

image.png.8047276161a588483ce23971ad541e21.png

e4G4vbB.jpg

I think you're being a bit harsh on him here and I'm no fan of Taylor. When he actually receives the ball, Grealish isn't in any real sort of position to receive for a forward pass. He could roll it to Davis, yes. When Taylor gets the ball, and his head is up, there's no ball on to Trezeguet but there is when he's scanning around looking for another pass. The ball back to Hourihane was the only real way Grealish could get on the ball in space and have a go. 

His decision making is slow/hesitant/safe but sometimes I think some of the stuff leveled at him is a bit ott. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

No worries! its 42:40. It looks like this at the start...

image.png.8047276161a588483ce23971ad541e21.png

Thanks mate. Whilst I have been very critical of Taylor, especially going forward, I think you are being harsh. When he receives the ball this is what he is faced with...Screenshot_20190728-091021_YouTube.png.212a1a660a08895f47c727d6149f3a6a.png

Only real option is pass it to Davis, he instead goes backwards but it then leads to a through ball for Grealish 

• Like 2

We are getting all zapruder up in here :)

Fair points both @omariqy@Wezbid !
image.png.a41bbfd9f3241b60a288a19014f9ddb3.png
I will leave this one as a mild rebuttal, just imagine what our other players would do in this position. But your points are fair and well taken. 

Btw I should note I dont dislike Taylor. I want our players to succeed. Sadly I just dont see it.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

We still have some players at the club who aren’t really of the standard and calibre required. Taylor is one of them. It’s not his fault he isn’t good enough, but he most certainly isn’t good enough. 

Edited by meregreen

11 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

There is a moment in the first half at around 42 minutes. 

Taylor is standing unmarked and completely open a few yards outside their D.

McGinn finds him with a lovely cross field driven pass.

At this point Taylor has options.

1.) Run at goal (he has a clear path) to either shoot from within the penalty area or pass as he draw a man.
2.) Strike it (he has a clear sight of goal and its a sweet spot for a long range shot.
3.) Pass it forward to Trezza who has made a lovely run in towards the box.
4.) Make a short pass forward to Keinan who is open with his back to goal and is also ready to receive.
5.) Pass forward to Jack Grealish on his left who also has space.
6.) Pass forward to El Ghazi far out left.

Instead he dithers for a few seconds, then passes it backwards to Conor who does the obvious thing of passing forward to Grealish, but the moment has passed and its blasted into the defender who has now closed.

It is pre season, thats fine. I wont slate anyone for mistakes, but this wasnt a mistake, it was Taylor being Taylor. He doesnt know what to do in attacking positions. He slows down any attack and passes it away so hopefully someone else has the ball. He never wants it.

He is a decent middle table Championship left back. We should all be scared if he starts any games in the Premier league. He is going to get destroyed.

He has been doing it for years, it is all he ever does. Received the ball on the halfway line or on the edge of his own box, 20,30,40,50 years to run into....he will kill it dead, sometimes going out of his way to stop his momentum as the ball is played to him in space.

*stands still

*looks up

*stands still

*looks sideways

*stands still

*looks forwards*looks sideways*looks to the space in front of him

*passes it five yards backwards

• Like 3

As I seem to recall he was pretty good in the second half of last season under Smith. I’m not saying he Is PL standard,  I doubt he is for a starting 11. Smith clearly recognises that which is why we bought Targett but I really don’t think he is as bad as many think he is. He is just another one of those players who many fans don’t like whatever he does and he will have his work cut out to change that opinion.

The reality is what we are discussing is his ability as a squad player not as first choice LB. Personally I would keep him not least as we may struggle to sign someone better who would clearly be coming in as back up.

Obviously Hause is an option too but I would guess he sees himself as a reluctant LB. I may be wrong but was he not at LB on his debut and had a mare and that is the only time he has played there for us? As I said I may be wrong on that.

Re the 42:41 discussion above - his body position is wrong imo, a premier League player should be able to open his body up a little so he gives himself the options to go in either direction. 

However I hope he can show the Swansea level form as he will then be an asset for us. 

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

He has been doing it for years, it is all he ever does. Received the ball on the halfway line or on the edge of his own box, 20,30,40,50 years to run into....he will kill it dead, sometimes going out of his way to stop his momentum as the ball is played to him in space.

*stands still

*looks up

*stands still

*looks sideways

*stands still

*looks forwards*looks sideways*looks to the space in front of him

*passes it five yards backwards

My perception and description of him since he’s been at the club is “cowardly”, in terms of his football or playing style. He’s incredibly limited.

He always looks knackered too, just his face I guess. Like Ayew always has a resting b**** face. 🤣

Edited by Jas10

47 minutes ago, Harry said:

As I seem to recall he was pretty good in the second half of last season under Smith. I’m not saying he Is PL standard,  I doubt he is for a starting 11. Smith clearly recognises that which is why we bought Targett but I really don’t think he is as bad as many think he is. He is just another one of those players who many fans don’t like whatever he does and he will have his work cut out to change that opinion.

The reality is what we are discussing is his ability as a squad player not as first choice LB. Personally I would keep him not least as we may struggle to sign someone better who would clearly be coming in as back up.

Obviously Hause is an option too but I would guess he sees himself as a reluctant LB. I may be wrong but was he not at LB on his debut and had a mare and that is the only time he has played there for us? As I said I may be wrong on that.

No. Hause actually looked decent at LB, particularly good in one standout game during our run. Can’t recall the opposition. He really deserved a run of games over Taylor.

He did well partnering Mings too at CB until he lost his place when Tuanzebe came back.

Edited by Jas10

Every time he plays he's going to be the weak link, in defense but especially in possession as he simply does not do the things the system we are trying to play demands from a full back.

There were the odd occasions towards the end of last season when he actually joined in in attack, made runs and overlapped, but he's not going to have the confidence to do that in the PL.

I don't even see him as a squad option because he fundamentally does not have the qualities we need.

• Like 2

Why do some people think players who aren’t quite good enough, are okay as squad players. To me a player in the squad is used to improve a situation in a match which is not going too well, or to cover for a players injury. Either scenario still requires a player good enough to fill that role. It does not help the team, having players on the bench who aren’t good enough to make a difference, and could end up making things worse. The only exception to this for me would be to help younger players in their development. Taylor certainly doesn’t fit into that bracket.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Why do some people think players who aren’t quite good enough, are okay as squad players. To me a player in the squad is used to improve a situation in a match which is not going too well, or to cover for a players injury. Either scenario still requires a player good enough to fill that role. It does not help the team, having players on the bench who aren’t good enough to make a difference, and could end up making things worse. The only exception to this for me would be to help younger players in their development. Taylor certainly doesn’t fit into that bracket.

Mike drop. 

32 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Same situation as Ayew. "Fills the squad" "Okay for £2m" "£2m is nothing nowadays"

Problem with squad players is you actually have to play them.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Spot on!

13 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Taylor was good for Swansea but he got injured and then had Steve Bruce as a coach no wonder he isn't creative going forward. Him and Green got their confidence knocked out of them and now they are crap going forward. 

It’s a bit of a stretch to blame Steve Bruce for Taylor being shit. 

Taylor has never scored a club goal in his entire career as far as I’m aware.

but sure it’s all Bruce’s fault 😂

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a bit of a stretch to blame Steve Bruce for Taylor being shit. 

Taylor has never scored a club goal in his entire career as far as I’m aware.

but sure it’s all Bruce’s fault 😂

according to Wikipedia he scored 3 for Wrexham between 2007 and 2010.

but ye, 3 goals in 302 appearances, so no club goals since 2010, damn.......9/10 years without a club goal :P

apparently, accoridng to Transfermarkt, he has 14 assists in those 300 odd games also, 1 assist every 21 games on average.......hot darn :P

• Like 1

Snapping Colemans leg probably effected him as well, as it should.

He seem a bit cautious now in most situations, no idea if he was like that before that horror tackle?

58 minutes ago, meregreen said:

Because typically if a player is good enough to start then they won’t be willing to spend most of the season sitting on the bench, so it’s a bit of a Catch-22.

As you say, the ideal situation is to have a younger understudy coming off the bench. They might not be as good a player at the time but are on the road to becoming a better one. 

Â