Neil Taylor

One For The Road

On 10/08/2019 at 22:52, HanoiVillan said:

Not to disagree too much with the overall feeling here, but there was one moment when he was sucked helplessly into the middle ball watching, which led to a free shot on goal . . . can't really remember, but it might have been the one Sissoko shanked for a throw-in. Taylor really is much better defending than he is going forwards, but he's still prone to lapses in concentration. 

Whilst I agree with you fundamentally. Have a look at the number of chances Red Bull had from Targett doing the same thing. I think thats why Taylor got the nod on Saturday.

17 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Has anybody said anything even remotely close to that?

I think people are expecting him to be better than Taylor. Which isn't exactly a surprise seeing as Taylor is dreadful. Although again credit to him for a good performance on the weekend.

no...i exaggerated...but a few have suggested that targett would be better going forward, and should therefore take taylor's shirt vs bournemouth, when personally i saw nothing from targett in preseason (yeah i know it's only pre season but i have nothing else to judge him on) to suggest he's any better than taylor. make no mistake, i'm not writing him off, i absolutely believe that over the course of the season he will become our 1st choice LB but i was really pleased with the whole back 5 saturday and hope taylor keeps his place

1 minute ago, sne said:

Imagine if we've spent £14-18m on a LB who isn't an upgrade on Taylor in absolutely every way 😥

That surely can't be possible.

not saying targett will be the one, but we bought like 12 players...one of those surely is going to absolutely flop and be zero upgrade on what we already had. it's just the way it is

Just now, useless said:

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that Targett isn't better than Taylor, before he's even played a game for us.

While I fear we might have payed way over the odds for him I'm still certain he will be a significant upgrade on Taylor.

1 hour ago, useless said:

Not sure how anyone can come to the conclusion that Targett isn't better than Taylor, before he's even played a game for us.

dont think anyone has? i certainly didnt anyway...i just said that taylor doesnt deserve to lose his place

1 hour ago, sne said:

Imagine if we've spent £14-18m on a LB who isn't an upgrade on Taylor in absolutely every way 😥

Why not? It's how the transfer market is today.

Taylor did a good game against spurs, and Targett haven't impressed really in Pre Season. As i see it, it's for Taylor to lose.

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Why not? It's how the transfer market is today.

Taylor did a good game against spurs, and Targett haven't impressed really in Pre Season. As i see it, it's for Taylor to lose.

While true we have little to go on regarding Targett we have a few seasons of Taylor to go on.

We know his limitations with the ball and his reluctance to cross the half way line or overlap in attack, his tendency to stand off his opponent when defending and allowing them far too much time to cross the ball.

He also has a tendency to not work back when dribbled past.

Targett, yeah I don't know, but I do know that Taylor is not suited to a game where we will have the ball quite a bit and is expected to attack more than the odd time. We also play in a way where the full backs are expected to join in when we have the ball. It's not Taylor's forte. 

And while Taylor had a surprisingly solid game we still lost, so it's not like we are changing a winning team.

Edited by sne
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sne said:

And while Taylor had a surprisingly solid game we still lost, so it's not like we are changing a winning team.

That was on Grealish's fault not Taylor.

If Smith rates Taylor higher than Targett atm i 100 % trust him.

Edited by villalad21

Just now, villalad21 said:

That was on Grealish's fault not Taylor.

If Smith rates Taylor higher than Targett atm i 100 % trust him.

It was because Spurs are a far superior side to us

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sne said:

It was because Spurs are a far superior side to us

I won't disagree with that and they deserved the win, but Grealish's mistake happened in the 85th minute mate. If he didn't make that mistake there are good chances we would have come away with a draw.

Edited by villalad21

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I won't disagree with that and they deserved the win, but Grealish's mistake happened in the 85th minute mate. If he didn't make that mistake there are good chances we would have come away with a draw.

So drop Grealish?

1 hour ago, sne said:

It's only a matter of time before Targett is in the first team and will be starting regardless of opposition. 

• Like 1

I mentioned a while back (I think on the Dean Smith thread) that DS had said in an interview that Targett would be "pushing Neil Taylor for a starting place", and this was laughed off as DS just being diplomatic.

My Saints supporting fan said he thought Targett was defensively weaker than Taylor, and that was also laughed off on here as him not having seen Taylor play recently.

But looks like it's all true. Wouldn't be surprised if we use Elmo and Taylor in the bigger, tougher games away from home, and Guilbert and Targett get more time in games where we're looking to play on the front foot.

I also think we'll sign two new full backs next summer. None of our current crop are good enough long term for where we want to be.

Â