Neil Taylor

One For The Road

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a bit of a stretch to blame Steve Bruce for Taylor being shit. 

Taylor has never scored a club goal in his entire career as far as I’m aware.

but sure it’s all Bruce’s fault 😂

Neil Taylor was never amazing 9n the front foot but he was passable he kept the ball and got 1 or 2 assists a year. He was never a threat but he also wasn't this bad.

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Why do some people think players who aren’t quite good enough, are okay as squad players. To me a player in the squad is used to improve a situation in a match which is not going too well, or to cover for a players injury. Either scenario still requires a player good enough to fill that role. It does not help the team, having players on the bench who aren’t good enough to make a difference, and could end up making things worse. The only exception to this for me would be to help younger players in their development. Taylor certainly doesn’t fit into that bracket.

Absolutely everyone would love to have a squad like Man City's, but we aren't there yet and may well never be. 

4 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

He has been doing it for years, it is all he ever does. Received the ball on the halfway line or on the edge of his own box, 20,30,40,50 years to run into....he will kill it dead, sometimes going out of his way to stop his momentum as the ball is played to him in space.

*stands still

*looks up

*stands still

*looks sideways

*stands still

*looks forwards*looks sideways*looks to the space in front of him

*passes it five yards backwards

I actually groan when he gets the ball because if it doesn't go sideways or backwards he thinks, oh go on then, if I must and makes a woeful cross which means we lose possession and he's out of position. He knows his cross will be shit which is why he is afraid of advancing. It's actually cruel on him to play him because he knows he's not up to it.

2 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

Neil Taylor was never amazing 9n the front foot but he was passable he kept the ball and got 1 or 2 assists a year. He was never a threat but he also wasn't this bad.

So he never scored, only got one or two assists a year, but it’s Bruce’s fault he’s crap going forward?

Neil Taylor is shit. He was shit at Swansea and he’s shit at villa and he’ll be shut at his next club. 

The only blame Bruce gets is signing him in the first place. 

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It’s a bit of a stretch to blame Steve Bruce for Taylor being shit. 

Taylor has never scored a club goal in his entire career as far as I’m aware.

but sure it’s all Bruce’s fault 😂

Didn’t he score in the Euros quarter final? 

He is very limited. Adequate as he can defend (just about). But doesn’t give you much else.

3 hours ago, meregreen said:

Why do some people think players who aren’t quite good enough, are okay as squad players. To me a player in the squad is used to improve a situation in a match which is not going too well, or to cover for a players injury. Either scenario still requires a player good enough to fill that role. It does not help the team, having players on the bench who aren’t good enough to make a difference, and could end up making things worse. The only exception to this for me would be to help younger players in their development. Taylor certainly doesn’t fit into that bracket.

This is a good point. I said once what’s the point of a squad player we hope never has to play. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Harry said:

As I seem to recall he was pretty good in the second half of last season under Smith.

Defensively yes, he was fine.

Its what he does with the ball in the opposition half that everyone questions. 

One could argue its not a fullbacks job to be comfortable on the ball or to join in with attacks, but then its not 1994. Perhaps why Bruce bought him, "the lad knows how to put his boots on and roll his sleeves up, got a good kick on him to get it up the field so can start attacks, impressive!".

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

So he never scored, only got one or two assists a year, but it’s Bruce’s fault he’s crap going forward?

Neil Taylor is shit. He was shit at Swansea and he’s shit at villa and he’ll be shut at his next club. 

Scoring and getting assists isn't the be all and end all of attacking football for an individual player. He was starting left back for some decent Swansea teams. His style of play is best suited for possession based teams with a slow tempo which we are not. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Signing him is a pretty significant factor Stevo. 

11 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

Signing him is a pretty significant factor Stevo. 

Yeah it is, no argument there. Neil Taylor is awful and we shouldn’t have signed him. 

But that’s a different point from “he was good going forward until Bruce coached it out of him”

thats nonsense. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Scoring and getting assists isn't the be all and end all of attacking football for an individual player. He was starting left back for some decent Swansea teams. His style of play is best suited for possession based teams with a slow tempo which we are not. 

His style of play is best suited to possession based teams? 😂

Ok we’ll have to agree to disagree on this as I think we’re watching different Neil Taylors

The standing joke amongst me and my mate is that we're a team of ten footballers plus Neil Taylor. I feel that's an adequate enough description of him. 

It's nothing personal, I think the way some of our fans talk about him as if he were dog shit is embarrassing. But the reality is that he isn't cut out for either the system we play nor the Premier League full stop. 

I actually think he has been a pretty decent servant, he helped us over the line. Now I would much rather see Hause come in at left back if required. I'm surprised he hasn't been moved on. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah I’d rather have just kept Ayew if we could have, dunno if he was desperate to leave or not though, can’t recall.

Ayew was dreadful that season, looked half arsed

Taylor 1st few games he was highly praised for not being Cissokho or Amavi

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

But that’s a different point from “he was good going forward until Bruce coached it out of him”

thats nonsense. 

1 goal in 10 years, the Welsh Roberto Carlos

Still hilarious that goal was at Euro 2016 😂

2 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I've never rated him, but I am watching the Charlton game before going to work now, and my god he is absolutely shite. And this was Charlton. 

Any injury to Targett terrifies me. 

Hopefully Hause is our go to back up.

21 hours ago, MotoMkali said:

All Neil Taylor needed to do was not be Jordan Amavi. He succeeded in that. 

Â