Neil Taylor

One For The Road

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Seriously what’s going on with this guy? 

If you haven’t got the balls to try things in Pre Season friendlies then you’ve got no chance in the top flight! 

Yeah hes terribly ineffective, you are right about trying things, he doesn't at all he jist passes it backwards or sideways, never tries to cross etc, when the ball goes to him it's like he's receiving a molten ball of metal.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

There is a moment in the first half at around 42 minutes. 

Taylor is standing unmarked and completely open a few yards outside their D.

McGinn finds him with a lovely cross field driven pass.

At this point Taylor has options.

1.) Run at goal (he has a clear path) to either shoot from within the penalty area or pass as he draw a man.
2.) Strike it (he has a clear sight of goal and its a sweet spot for a long range shot.
3.) Pass it forward to Trezza who has made a lovely run in towards the box.
4.) Make a short pass forward to Keinan who is open with his back to goal and is also ready to receive.
5.) Pass forward to Jack Grealish on his left who also has space.
6.) Pass forward to El Ghazi far out left.

Instead he dithers for a few seconds, then passes it backwards to Conor who does the obvious thing of passing forward to Grealish, but the moment has passed and its blasted into the defender who has now closed.

It is pre season, thats fine. I wont slate anyone for mistakes, but this wasnt a mistake, it was Taylor being Taylor. He doesnt know what to do in attacking positions. He slows down any attack and passes it away so hopefully someone else has the ball. He never wants it.

He is a decent middle table Championship left back. We should all be scared if he starts any games in the Premier league. He is going to get destroyed.

i hope Deano isnt sentimental, because if Targett was banned or something, we seriously have to start Hause at LB over Taylor.

I also noted 2-3 times he got the ball on the left, he could have passed forward, ran a bit to take players with him and then looked to pass, or done something progressive, but he literally just stood there, waited a few seconds until 1-2 players closed him down, and passed it backwards, completely destroying that attack.

As you say, Taylor is an average championship LB, and by that i mean he's average defensively for a championship LB, and completely inert going forward.

And good overview of that scenario, i remember watching that moment and thinking.......wtf dude, you are terrible :)

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

i hope Deano isnt sentimental, because if Targett was banned or something, we seriously have to start Hause at LB over Taylor.

And good overview of that scenario, i remember watching that moment and thinking.......wtf dude, you are terrible :)

Yeah it stood out! Agree I would be ok with Hause / Targett there fighting for that spot if need be. Taylor just isnt going to cut it for us imho.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 1

Thing is he's been like this ever since he joined us, he's not suddenly going to get more adventurous.

I remember screaming for Hause to play in the play off semi final because of the extra height and the fact that WBA have no wingers so you don't need to defend down the left, but could have done with someone who knows what to do with the ball. It very nearly cost us as they scored from a long throw and all our attacks down the left were non existence when Taylor got involved. Would have been fuming at that decision had we lost on penalties. 

In 2.5 years he has no goals and one assist, even then it was a mishit shot that someone tapped in at the back post. 

Zero creativity but a half decent defender at championship level, hope Bruce signs him before deadline day. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

Such an obvious weak link in our attacking play today. Only thing you can say about Taylor is he’d be good to bring on when your winning and trying to see out last 10 mins of the game. 

not really, just tell the LB at the time to defend a bit more.......

there would be literally zero reason to bring Talyor on, unless the entire team died of plague and he was the last man standing.

• Haha 2

Taylor was good for Swansea but he got injured and then had Steve Bruce as a coach no wonder he isn't creative going forward. Him and Green got their confidence knocked out of them and now they are crap going forward. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Taylor was good for Swansea but he got injured and then had Steve Bruce as a coach no wonder he isn't creative going forward. Him and Green got their confidence knocked out of them and now they are crap going forward. 

Was Taylor ever good going forward???

• Like 1

I don't want to see him on the pitch this season. Hause showed in about two games last season he's got much more going forward and defensively. Can't believe he stayed in the team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

There is a moment in the first half at around 42 minutes. 

Taylor is standing unmarked and completely open a few yards outside their D.

McGinn finds him with a lovely cross field driven pass.

At this point Taylor has options.

1.) Run at goal (he has a clear path) to either shoot from within the penalty area or pass as he draw a man.
2.) Strike it (he has a clear sight of goal and its a sweet spot for a long range shot.
3.) Pass it forward to Trezza who has made a lovely run in towards the box.
4.) Make a short pass forward to Keinan who is open with his back to goal and is also ready to receive.
5.) Pass forward to Jack Grealish on his left who also has space.
6.) Pass forward to El Ghazi far out left.

Instead he dithers for a few seconds, then passes it backwards to Conor who does the obvious thing of passing forward to Grealish, but the moment has passed and its blasted into the defender who has now closed.

It is pre season, thats fine. I wont slate anyone for mistakes, but this wasnt a mistake, it was Taylor being Taylor. He doesnt know what to do in attacking positions. He slows down any attack and passes it away so hopefully someone else has the ball. He never wants it.

He is a decent middle table Championship left back. We should all be scared if he starts any games in the Premier league. He is going to get destroyed.

When was this moment? I can't see it at 42 minutes? 

On 02/07/2019 at 13:01, rodders0223 said:

30k+ and 2 years on his deal.

He is going nowhere 

You could say he's winging it, but there's literally nothing that could be further from the truth.

He absolutely prefers going nowhere.

Edited by Lerner's Driver
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Remember we bought this guy who couldn't make the Swansea team the previous season back from injury

Yeah I’d rather have just kept Ayew if we could have, dunno if he was desperate to leave or not though, can’t recall.

Really wish we could get rid of Taylor (again, shocked we don’t have a youngster who can fill in. Sorry to say but our youth is really shite, I mean really poor, we need to make drastic improvements in that area) and even sign a new left back. Just can’t stand him, he’s so so poor and all the recent comments here have been absolutely spot on. Hause has way more chance of playing at LB than CB too and I do think Taylor getting game time was out of sentimentality over anything else. He’s 100% not a Dean Smith player. I don’t see how any decent player can’t perform well with our style of play.

Hogan and Tshibola too. We’ve done really well to get rid of the deadwood and overpaid, overage players but there are still some crappy remnants of the past at the club...

• Like 1

I actually think Taylor could play the left side in a back 3. I am always surprised by how good a defender he actually is, he rarely gets beaten or embarrassed by wingers down the left side.

The problem is he is awful and carrying the ball forward and overlapping, which is essential in this Dean Smith team, so he simple cannot play at left back for us. 

Â