Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 6/7/2017 at 14:19, hippo said:

Theres lots of reasons

1. Manu don't want him

2.He concedes a fair few goals unless we play Jedinak as virtually a 3rd centre back

3.He hardly makes any good saves

4.His kicking is poor

5.He doesn't come off his line 

Manu must be pissing themselves if someone is prepared to pay £5m for him.

Hmmmmmm......sadly True.

Our GK's in the 3rd and 2nd divisions in the 69/70/71's were better than SJ.

Seems that accepting SJ as being good enough for us is a consequence of being suckered into submission by the awfull mismanagement of this club.

The club need to make marks of intent, buying/loaning SJ would be a bad one.

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

People far better placed to hold a view than me rate him highly, I can't see it myself.

maybe he's a monster in training. But just cant deliver on natchday when it counts.

I know many a collegue employee who are experts on the shop floor, getting them to do their jobs on location and under pressure while contractors eyes are watching is impossible, they just crack under the strain. As their employer, I know that they are more than capable, but simply cant deliver in a different enviroment.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:

maybe he's a monster in training. But just cant deliver on natchday when it counts.

I know many a collegue employee who are experts on the shop floor, getting them to do their jobs on location and under pressure while contractors eyes are watching is impossible, they just crack under the strain. As their employer, I know that they are more than capable, but simply cant deliver in a different enviroment.

Very good analogy.

The problem is your employees are useful in one situation and not as useful in another. Johnstone being good in training does nothing for the club and being not as good on a matchday is frustrating. 

I'm guessing Bruce and the coaches think they can transfer his training ground exploits into his matchday performances. Unfortunately, I think Johnstone may have now spent a bit too long on the training pitches of Man Utd, being effectively cannon fodder in goal or effectively an assistant goalkeeping coach.

Just my 2 pence, adding to what you've said rather than arguing against it :)

• Like 1

There are a fair few keepers out there who would be good choices for us. If Sam doesn't want to come here or United want too much for him, I have no issue with us looking elsewhere. Jonhstone is just a meh keeper for me. Not bad, not great.

6 hours ago, hippo said:

Heard a whisper that Villa still expect to land Johnstone. 

Maybe  the prospect of playing behind  JT will sway his choice . Worth £2.5m maybe but no more than that .

Edited by Eastie

8 hours ago, hippo said:

Heard a whisper that Villa still expect to land Johnstone. 

VillaTalk needs to introduce a "dislike this" button 

• Like 1

Still think he's absolutely fine.

Has played with the team (oo-er) for half a season which helps with familiarity etc.  He seems fairly highly regarded in football circles and, personally, I thought his debut against Spurs was impressive.  Many mistakes over the season, but still young and learning.  I'd be happy enough with him being back next season.

• Like 1

He went from absolutely shite that couldn't catch a simple ball to pretty reliable for the most part in the space of a few months with an ever changing defence/midfield in front of him.

I have gone from never wanting to see him again after a few weeks with us to struggling to think of anyone better at this sort of money that would want to play in the championship.

Who are these other keeps that people think are miles better that would want to play here?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Eastie said:

Maybe  the prospect of playing behind  JT will sway his choice . Worth £2.5m maybe but no more than that .

If his wife/GF is a bit of a loose slapper he wont wanna  e behind him

• Like 1

Â