Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

20 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

He is dire.

What makes you say this? I usually value your opinion but not on this occasion. Johnstone is still young for a keeper and he will improve over time, I'm over the moon about this signing 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Sorry, I wasn't talking specifically about the johnstone situation, I was merely responding to the general concept that people seem to get blinded by the club they are coming from, which I agree with. 

There are of course always exceptions, I mean how many opportunities did Chelsea have to retain Lukaka? But for every Lukaka there aren't dozens of Djemba Djemba's, Scott Sinclair's and Steve Sidwell's. Good club's more often than not don't let good players go, unless it's for gajillions of pounds to Barcelona or summat. 

Isn't a difference here that Man U are loaning him, not "letting him go"? Big clubs loan out their promising young players all the time, so comparison with the Djemba-Djembas and similar of this world doesn't seem relevant.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone who would prefer Johnstone over Hart needs their head checking.

I'll get my coat:)

seriously, I was well up for Joe Hart.....but this kid for me went from unbelievable in his first game to riddled with howlers to a steady improvement.

I trust the judgment of the current Villa Park staff.....I think he will get better and better and have a good season for us.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I'll get my coat:)

seriously, I was well up for Joe Hart.....but this kid for me went from unbelievable in his first game to riddled with howlers to a steady improvement.

I trust the judgment of the current Villa Park staff.....I think he will get better and better and have a good season for us.

Even if I don't disagree with your post, it doesn't change that given a choice between Hart and Johnstone, Hart is an absolute country mile ahead of Sam. 

• Like 1

Also preferred for me over Joe Hart. Hart is just a name. He's full of errors. He is always wobbly for England and City and had a bit of a dire spell in Italy. He isn't a good goalkeeper. 

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Even if I don't disagree with your post, it doesn't change that given a choice between Hart and Johnstone, Hart is an absolute country mile ahead of Sam. 

yes I agree.

I'd prefer us to just sign the kid, especially for the mooted 2.5m (although maybe that was never a thing) - but glad we have this important position filled. He's not great (yet) but he's not bad for a youngster and came on a lot last year. He'll be looking to prove that he can make the step up to the Premier League next season, perhaps with us. He's certainly not likely to become United's no.1 any time soon.

• Like 3

I suppose we get a half decent keeper for next to no money... I don't think he's terrible, but I'm far from convinced he's good. I would've preferred a more experienced keeper. 

Let's hope we see more games like his last 10 games for us than his first 11. Still very early to judge a player in a team with massive turnover and only played 21 games. Open mind I suppose.

• Like 2

Im not very happy at all, think he's shit.

If somehow we do scrape promotion under Bruce, at least its just a loan deal so it gives us an option to look elsewhere, so glad its not a permanent deal.

Â