Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Did he not get better the longer he played last season?

Think the Boro rumours were Man U rying to push the price up.

Over the past few seasons we have had a lot of Shot Stoppers like Given and at first Guzan but not a goalie who could work with his defense as a unit and organise the beggars.

Going back Jimmy Rimmer wasnt flash but was solid and just did his job.  Friedal again lasted so long as he could arrange a defensive unit and not just rely on his shot stopping skills. 

Perhaps Johnstone is that sort of goalie.  Works as part of the defense instead of being simply the last line of defense.

15 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

He went from absolutely shite that couldn't catch a simple ball to pretty reliable for the most part in the space of a few months with an ever changing defence/midfield in front of him.

I have gone from never wanting to see him again after a few weeks with us to struggling to think of anyone better at this sort of money that would want to play in the championship.

Who are these other keeps that people think are miles better that would want to play here?

At the reported £5m we were going to be paying for him, I think there are doezens of better keepers we could get.

I provided a list in this topic a couple of weeks ago.

If the price has dropped to £2.5m then Jonhstone may be a more realistic option. I still don't think he's shown much in a Villa shirt to indicate he should be our first option though.

I can see him being the weak link of our defence next season.

• Like 3

Re : is johnstone worth 4 mill.

No... We paid that for gollini but he was an unknown quantity at the time.

Why would we pay the same again for a player of similar ability who is just as bad.

IMO he's worth 2.5 at the most i think he should be backup keeper at best if we can't get him for that I'd rather take a chance on someone else.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

For me, I couldn't care if we paid £2.5m or £4m for him, my concern would be if we bought him as first choice keeper. Happy for him to be back up and those figures are not breaking the bank, just don't want him as first choice. 

• Like 2

He is decent up and coming GK, but I find it weird that this is what we have for us in this crucial position. Where else in our first 11 do we have that? We don't bare maybe Bree if he starts over RDL. They are all experienced, proven players, most of whom we have spent a decent amount of money on. We are bigger then SJ in my opinion. Are we not taking this position as seriously or does Bruce really rate Johnstone way higher than 99% of Villa fans. 

• Like 2

damn, just watched this video and wish i hadnt, Bruce pretty much confirms Johnstone will be joining in the next day or 2.. :(

We did go that long run of games barely conceding, so hopefully with Terry added and maybe Whelan to share the midfield bastard role with Jedinak, no reason why Johnstone can't keep a whole heap of clean sheets.  He does have potential to improve, even last season he showed some signs of progression.  It would be handy to have an experienced keeper as back up though.

30 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As I've said several times, people in the game and in a far better position than I really rate him. Just don't see it myself.

Guess he's the Heskey of goalkeepers, has a save ratio similar to Heskeys goal ratio yet the experts see something that normal folk don't

Â