Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 06/06/2017 at 22:32, Stevo985 said:There is no way we'll pay anything close to £12m for a goalkeeper this summer. It would more than double the record fee for a goalkeeper in the Championship (which was Matz Sels last summer).

In fact it would be only just short of the £12.75 record transfer for any player in the Championship.

It is a nonsense figure.

On 07/06/2017 at 10:29, HanoiVillan said:

£12m for a goalkeeper in the Championship? :crylaugh:

I know prices are silly, but you're several years too early with that one. 

FFS, no where did I ever say we were going to pay £12 for a keeper - read my post. I said we would HAVE to pay £12m for a decent keeper (a premier league standard, which is what we aspire), that's why Johnstone on loan makes sense. My post is only in support of the logic of taking Johnstone on loan. Jeez.....

i don't believe we will pay £12m for ANY player this window due to FFP, that why we should take decent loans where we can get them.

Incidentally, and for the record, it is Aston Villa who is re-writing transfer records in the Championship, because we want to buy PL status, so I wouldn't bet against anything suggested here. But to be clear I do not expect us to pay £12m for a keeper while we are in the Championship.

22 minutes ago, thunderball said:

FFS, no where did I ever say we were going to pay £12 for a keeper - read my post. I said we would HAVE to pay £12m for a decent keeper (a premier league standard, which is what we aspire), that's why Johnstone on loan makes sense. My post is only in support of the logic of taking Johnstone on loan. Jeez.....

i don't believe we will pay £12m for ANY player this window due to FFP, that why we should take decent loans where we can get them.

Incidentally, and for the record, it is Aston Villa who is re-writing transfer records in the Championship, because we want to buy PL status, so I wouldn't bet against anything suggested here. But to be clear I do not expect us to pay £12m for a keeper while we are in the Championship.

I mean, if that's what you meant then fine, and apologies.
But I did read your post, and I've read it again. Nowhere in your post did you say anything about taking Johsntone on loan. And you specifically said at the end the part in bold below, which I assume was referencing this season.
And considering you bolded the "£12m is a nonsense figure" in my OP and replied with the below, everything pointed to you disagreeing with that.

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 22:25, thunderball said:

In seasons past yes, but we just paid £4.25m for Gollini.

For the record Cech was second choice when he left Chelsea and importantly had a history of injuries when he left Chelsea. His transfer was also in 2015 before the mega Sky £inflation.

This season:Asmir Begovic to Bournemouth - £10m; Sunderland quote £30m for Jordan Pickford.

Like everything in football, everything is twice the usual price, and there are plenty of examples to indicate this finite resource is on the up, historically Buffon went for £32.5m; Spurs wouldn't entertain anything under £35m for Lloris (warding off RealM); Man Utd "agreed" £29m for de Gea from Real in 2015, they now quote £60m (Man U paid £18m). 

Rediculous as it sounds we will see these prices paid for PL journeymen 'keepers from now on, we paid £12m for a has-been, second tier, 31 year old striker. Yes football has gone mad. If we want a half decent keeper we will pay through the nose.

Again, apologies if I misinterpreted your post, but it wasn't exactly clear.

My entire point is if we want a decent keeper, we WON'T have to pay anywhere near £12m. So even your revised point I still disagree with. £5m would get us a perfectly fine keeper for where we are, and that includes a season or two in the prem.

Edited by Stevo985

There are plenty of pl quality keepers currently available for less than 5m.  Keepers that are much better than sj and not 'old journeymen looking for a last payday'.

Given the above, i think signing sj would be a huge mistake because i dont think he is ready for first team football and im far from convinced he has enough potential to be a pl keeper (having been a trainee keeper at villa myself 20 years ago)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

There are plenty of pl quality keepers currently available for less than 5m.  Keepers that are much better than sj and not 'old journeymen looking for a last payday'.

Given the above, i think signing sj would be a huge mistake because i dont think he is ready for first team football and im far from convinced he has enough potential to be a pl keeper (having been a trainee keeper at villa myself 20 years ago)

It is good to get an opinion from someone who, with his experience, knows what he is talking about.

I wouldn't go that far but plenty of keepers on his level.

IMO the best keeper in the championship is Kieron Westwood at Sheffield Wednesday. Are people really saying it would cost 12m to get him?!

Isn't the Brighton keeper available on a free transfer aswell, there's two keepers there who  wouldn't cost much who are as good as Johnstone.

• Like 1

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 11:19, VillaChris said:

As poor as Bunn is we kept clean sheets with him in goal in our car crash premier league relegation season.

And Bunn isn't actually that poor.

Perfectly fine backup at Championship level. I doubt we'd have seen much difference if he'd been in goal over Johnstone.

In fact it would have probably been a positive difference at the start of Johnstone's appearances.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

And Bunn isn't actually that poor.

Perfectly fine backup at Championship level. I doubt we'd have seen much difference if he'd been in goal over Johnstone.

In fact it would have probably been a positive difference at the start of Johnstone's appearances.

He was chucking a few in over xmas, goals Leeds and Cardiff scored from corners he should've done a lot better. OTT though for some to pretty much suggest in their posts we ship 3-4 when he's in goal.

43 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

He was chucking a few in over xmas, goals Leeds and Cardiff scored from corners he should've done a lot better. OTT though for some to pretty much suggest in their posts we ship 3-4 when he's in goal.

That's what happens when a keeper falls out of favour on VT. Everything is their fault. Literally everything.

• 3 weeks later...

I dont get the hype with Sam. 

Yes.. he kept clean sheets. He started really badly.. but when we kept the clean sheets.. it was more to do with our superb defence.. the opposition barely created any chances in those games.. so he had nothing to do. 

Everytime a shot was at goal.. felt like it was going in. We havent had a good shot stopper for a long time. 

• Like 1

Â