Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

46 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

As I've said several times, people in the game and in a far better position than I really rate him. Just don't see it myself.

I genuinely think sometimes people, even "in the game" fall into the trap of "the big club he is coming from".

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely think sometimes people, even "in the game" fall into the trap of "the big club he is coming from".

How many times have we seen it? He's come from "X" top club... He MUST be at least good for us. 

Listen up people... If the top club is letting him go and he's not 36+then , they are letting him go for a reason. 

How many times have we fallen into that trap? 

It's like at work. As soon as you hear there is some new business bloke starting from X you know he is a total waste of space because if he was even remotely good X would never let him out the door

14 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Either that or they see things in his game that lead them to believe he could be great.

We need to remember that the guy is 24 which in goalkeeping years may as well be 16. He's in a position where maturity, composure and ability don't align until the late 20's, early 30's so he's bound to be a little ropey in his career right now. What we do know though is that towards the end of last season he was good. Yes he had a really dodgy start, but either something in him clicked, or our goalkeeping coach helped him improve because he did. Is he the next great English goalkeeper? I don't know, but we'll likely be watching him grow as a player unless Villa have other options.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

How many times have we seen it? He's come from "X" top club... He MUST be at least good for us. 

Listen up people... If the top club is letting him go and he's not 36+then , they are letting him go for a reason. 

It's like at work. As soon as you hear there is some new business bloke starting from X you know he is a total waste of space because if he was even remotely good X would never let him out the door

5 hours ago, Daweii said:

Either that or they see things in his game that lead them to believe he could be great.

We need to remember that the guy is 24 which in goalkeeping years may as well be 16. He's in a position where maturity, composure and ability don't align until the late 20's, early 30's so he's bound to be a little ropey in his career right now. What we do know though is that towards the end of last season he was good. Yes he had a really dodgy start, but either something in him clicked, or our goalkeeping coach helped him improve because he did. Is he the next great English goalkeeper? I don't know, but we'll likely be watching him grow as a player unless Villa have other options.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying he is destined to be shite. It's just like Trent said "I just don't see it" yet.

More importantly, a goalkeeper is so vital to a team, it is akin to putting your faith in someone with "potential" for promotion.

The safer thing would be to get a keeper with no question marks over his head to help guide us to promotion.

It could indeed be a masterstroke, and the positive will be that he spent a season here, knows the club and the players, vice versa.

However, equally, he could just turn out to be Bruces English version of Gollini.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We have money. We have shown we can attract excellent players at this level. Why are we gambling on such a key position?

Do we have money? I am not so sure we have that much due ff play

Edited by Demitri_C

13 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Do we have money? I am not so sure we have that much due ff play

We have to surely. We still get parachute payments and we're selling a back up player for about £7 million. 

7 hours ago, sidcow said:

Gary Cahill ?? Prime example. I think johnstone is a good keeper, I'd much prefer him over ruddy or hart , who were both shocking the last time I saw play

Johnstone improved after a poor start - yes we could do better but we could do worse too- he should be good enough for us to get promotion - imperative we get off to a good start though and build momentum.

• Like 2

He only played for us 21 times, and kept 8 clean sheets, during a very transitional time when we changed about 7 in the starting 11.

I'm not trying to whitewash the past or anything, just trying to be fair and say we haven't really seen enough of him to know how good he is (even though I don't see much quality there either) and to be honest I wish that we were going for a more experienced keeper given how crucial the positions is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

It's not about having money, it's about being able to spend it under FFP.

But we've got money coming into the club. 

Dangerous game by Xia if he's reached this sort of financial restriction in 12 months. 

9 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Dangerous game by Xia if he's reached this sort of financial restriction in 12 months. 

One big fault last season was our failure to utilise the loan market - Bruce with his contacts in the game will hopefully be able to get a couple of decent loan deals done - I think most of our dealing was done in January so hopefully we have a more settled team this year - there should be money available however should that special player become available .

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Tbf it's the same for almost any club in the championship. Xia's not done anything he shouldn't have. Almost every club in our division is heavily restricted, I don't believe any of them have a summer where FFP does not impact their transfers.

1 minute ago, TrentVilla said:

FFP isn't just about the last 12 months.

I'm surprised we spent so much last year then. It really was all out to come straight back up. Like I said a dangerous game. 

If we're restricted this much now I dread to think the state we will be in if we fail again this year. 

Just now, Rodders said:

yep, I don't think many people know how FFP works. 

However, I am pretty sure we spent most of our budget in January already. We don't need revolution again. 

We don't and we should just need a bit of quality. I just think it's a bit of a concerned to be this financially restricted 12 months into a new owner 

1 minute ago, Rodders said:

yep, I don't think many people know how FFP works. 

However, I am pretty sure we spent most of our budget in January already. We don't need revolution again. 

I agree - I think Bruce bought the majority of the players he wanted in Jan ahead of this season, knowing it was a tough ask to get promoted last season so prepping early for this one.

Clearly the new players coming in will be there to supplement the players Bruce wants to keep. 

As for FFP, the obvious attempts at a clear-out will go some way to straightening our finances. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I'm surprised we spent so much last year then. It really was all out to come straight back up. Like I said a dangerous game. 

If we're restricted this much now I dread to think the state we will be in if we fail again this year. 

That's exactly what it was but the state we were in large investment was needed, problem was we had Di Matteo making it.

And yes, if we don't go up we are in trouble as I've been saying continuously all summer.

• Like 3

Â