Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, Junxs said:

That's hardly a fair way to measure the ability of a goalkeeper.

We are set up very defensively as a team, which means the goalkeeper gets less shots to save. Compare his shots per save ratio and I bet he's one of the worst in the league - even more so if you don't include shots directly at the keeper.

Similarly, goalkeepers that have a lot to save are constantly focused. You often hear commentators remark on, for example, Manuel Neuer being so good because he has nothing to do but then still makes saves.

Of course, Johnstone isn't Neuer or anywhere near. 

I don't have any problem with another loan deal so long as we release Bunn and get an experienced, first choice keeper in. Johnstone as a 2nd option is not bad but I would certainly not be confident with him as first choice throughout the season, particularly as regards a genuine promotion push. Again, I don't like us developing other clubs' young players unless they are going to be sticking around here or at least make a massive contribution (get us promoted)...

What are people's thoughts on Ruddy? Available on a free but not sure what kind of form he has been in. Would have been fine as a back up or rotation option but not if we're signing Johnstone again. Would he be a good enough first choice? He did have a good reputation but that was a while ago...

I think Steer should get a chance to develop with us if he can overcome his injuries. So 3 keepers in the squad would be enough.

Edited by Jas10

11 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Compare his shots per save ratio and I bet he's one of the worst in the league

How can you make such a statement without backing it up?

It seems that you're trying to justify your opinion regardless of the positive facts and statistics about Sam Johnstone performances.

20 minutes ago, Junxs said:

That's hardly a fair way to measure the ability of a goalkeeper.

We are set up very defensively as a team, which means the goalkeeper gets less shots to save. Compare his shots per save ratio and I bet he's one of the worst in the league - even more so if you don't include shots directly at the keeper.

I would disagree mate, personally I think he has become a pretty decent keeper and certainly grew into the role after a shaky start. We very rarely dominate a game and I can't remember too many games under Bruce that we have had more shots than the opposition. He has had 8 clean sheets since January which is a good return, the best we have had for a number of years. 

I understand people wanting a more experienced keeper than Johnstone but I feel he is more than capable to be in a "promotion challenging team"

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

How can you make such a statement without backing it up?

It seems that you're trying to justify your opinion regardless of the positive facts and statistics about Sam Johnstone performances.

Errrr.. because he doesn't make many good saves? and lets in goals which are arguably saveable? Can you think of any great saves he's made? I certainly can't. He seems to be saving shots that are straight at him (which is an improvement at least).

Having a number of clean sheets against his name does not excuse his inability to make saves, like I said before he's the goalkeeper in a team which only allows one or 2 shots per game so looking at his saves per shot ratio is a fair way of judging him rather than just looking at clean sheets.  We are set up with a back 4 with a further 2 midfielders playing the holding role and wingers tracking back more than they attack. Of course we are going to keep clean sheets.

13 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

He has had 8 clean sheets since January which is a good return, the best we have had for a number of years. 

I understand people wanting a more experienced keeper than Johnstone but I feel he is more than capable to be in a "promotion challenging team"

A) we are more defensive than ever

2) We are playing in the championship

By default both those reasons mean we will get more clean sheets than we have in years

I don't remember shouting "what a save" at all with Johnstone in goal, I did a few times with Gollini for example, and with Guzan.

4 minutes ago, Junxs said:

A) we are more defensive than ever

2) We are playing in the championship

By default both those reasons mean we will get more clean sheets than we have in years

I don't remember shouting "what a save" at all with Johnstone in goal, I did a few times with Gollini for example, and with Guzan.

Playing defensive you sit back and invite shots, I can remember a few games where he has put in decent performances and our defenders must have confidence in him or Chester would not have said what he did, therefore I think he will do well for us again next season. 

Whilst gollini impressed in patches he was almost guaranteed to make at least one error per game that would cost us.

51 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Clean sheets - Hardly a fair measure of evaluating a keeper.... 

:blink: 

It's naive to think that's the fairest way to evaluate a goalkeeper

:huh:

1 minute ago, Villa Stu said:

our defenders must have confidence in him or Chester would not have said what he did, therefore I think he will do well for us again next season. 

He was hardly going to come out and say "he's shit, hope the manager signs someone better next season" now was he?

He was asked about his opinion on a player during an interview.. you're kind of limited to what you can say

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Playing defensive you sit back and invite shots,

No, the opposition is passing it around trying to break you down, and they don't get the chances to shoot.. playing attacking football leaves you open at the back.

Just now, Junxs said:

No, the opposition is passing it around trying to break you down, and they don't get the chances to shoot.. playing attacking football leaves you open at the back.

Attacking football leaves you exposed on the counter, sitting back invites shots from the edge of the area.

3 minutes ago, Junxs said:

It's naive to think that's the fairest way to evaluate a goalkeeper

:huh:

Just as naive as to dismiss it. 

The defence have clearly got used to him and showing signs of gelling as a unit 

He improved after a horrendous start, which could've affected him confidence wise. Fair play to him to stick it out and turn his performances around. 

He's not my ideal choice for a new keeper but it looks like we're getting him for another year at least. 

It could be worse, Guzan could return!

5 minutes ago, Junxs said:

He was hardly going to come out and say "he's shit, hope the manager signs someone better next season" now was he?

He was asked about his opinion on a player during an interview.. you're kind of limited to what you can say

He wouldn't say that he wanted him back if he didn't.

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:

Just as naive as to dismiss it.

No, quite the opposite, it's smart to look at all the facts than just look at the clean sheets tally.

Just now, Villa Stu said:

He wouldn't say that he wanted him back if he didn't.

He already knew he was coming back, as Bruce had already been discussing bringing him back for next season openly.

It would have just caused unrest in the dressing room had Chester said anything other than what he did.

4 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

Attacking football leaves you exposed on the counter, sitting back invites shots from the edge of the area.

Not when youre playing 2-3 holding midfielders.  When I have some time I'll dig out some stats from those clean sheet games and I doubt very much if we allowed more than 2 shots on target in any of them.

As a pointer, when we lost to Fulham 3-1 we only had 5 shots on target against us - a game that we were completely overrun in so you can imagine it will be less than that.

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

He already knew he was coming back, as Bruce had already been discussing bringing him back for next season openly.

It would have just caused unrest in the dressing room had Chester said anything other than what he did.

He didn't have to say that he wanted him back. He didn't even have to say anything on the subject other than what he thought of his performances

10 minutes ago, Junxs said:

Not when youre playing 2-3 holding midfielders.  When I have some time I'll dig out some stats from those clean sheet games and I doubt very much if we allowed more than 2 shots on target in any of them.

As a pointer, when we lost to Fulham 3-1 we only had 5 shots on target against us - a game that we were completely overrun in so you can imagine it will be less than that.

I remember solid performances in a few games from him mate, off the top of my head there was spurs, Wigan and Bristol city. 

There is a reason that Man Utd kept him over gollini and why we have replaced gollini with him

Â