Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

What are people's thoughts on Ruddy? Available on a free but not sure what kind of form he has been in.

He's been in horrible form, for about three years, which is why he's been released on a free transfer by a club who now only have one senior goalkeeper. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Junxs said:

A) we are more defensive than ever

2) We are playing in the championship

By default both those reasons mean we will get more clean sheets than we have in years

I don't remember shouting "what a save" at all with Johnstone in goal, I did a few times with Gollini for example, and with Guzan.

Well you could argue that what wa sthe excuse with Gollini . How many clean sheets did he keep? How many has Bunn? 

I remember saying oh what a save Gollini, then I would say yippee Gollini has cost us the 3 points

The thing is, if hes coming back for a seasons loan, hes out of contract at the end of this season at Man U, so whats the point - they may as well do a permanent deal.............

9 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

The thing is, if hes coming back for a seasons loan, hes out of contract at the end of this season at Man U, so whats the point - they may as well do a permanent deal.............

Thought he signed a contract extension under mourinho a few months before being loaned to us?

10 hours ago, Adbo9 said:

Because if the rumors are true, we have no transfer budget due to FFP. So us getting Johnstone on a year long loan allows us to keep our minuscule transfer budget intact, and not waste any of it if we don't have to. 

This was smart business for us. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

He seems to be quite a sought after keeper by all accounts.

For a keeper he is young, still learning....if he can eradicate the errors and kicking and polish off the rough edges.....He has the makings of a fine keeper.

I hope we get him back on loan.

Edited by TRO

Saw this tweeted by Greg Evans the other day, I hadn't appreciated quite how good Johnstone's stats were towards the end of our season. More clean sheets in 2017 than any other keeper... it didn't feel like that but can't argue with a fact. 

I am still pretty adamant that Sam is a run of the mill keeper who we could easily replace. I never felt like Sam had any matches that he won for us. He made the saves he needed to and that's about it. Basically an average keeper. We can find a keeper like that easily. 

Our back line get stabilized and Jedinak's great form had a lot do to with Sam's clean sheets. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

I am still pretty adamant that Sam is a run of the mill keeper who we could easily replace. I never felt like Sam had any matches that he won for us. He made the saves he needed to and that's about it. Basically an average keeper. We can find a keeper like that easily. 

Our back line get stabilized and Jedinak's great form had a lot do to with Sam's clean sheets. 

This is pretty much my thinking as well. If you play a defensive game, and by all accounts on here we were pretty negative most of the time, then it is going to help the goalkeeper keep clean sheets. From the highlights I saw he did not make any saves that made me think "wow what a save". In fact I would question whether he is any better than Guzan? Call me picky, but I want a better keeper than Guzan as our number 1.

Next season we need to be showing a more progressive game style if we hope to be promoted, and that will probably leave the keeper a little more exposed, so we need the keeper to be making some good saves. There has got to be better value out there for the GK spot.

• Like 3

Not really bothered either way to be honest. 

I would probably prefer an experienced championship stopper.  He's not done enough to make me think it's essential that we sign him. 

Then again he improved as he went on. 

Basically meh. 

Decent young player and a fine prospect. Highly enough regarded in the game, would be a coup for us and precisely the target we should be going for as a priority. 

We would need to pay £12m plus for a decent, experienced GK, we don't have this kind of money, and there are few top 38y.o. ish GK's on the way out looking for two final years.

Edited by thunderball

13 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Decent young player and a fine prospect. Highly enough regarded in the game, would be a coup for us and precisely the target we should be going for as a priority. 

We would need to pay £12m plus for a decent, experienced GK, we don't have this kind of money, and there are few top 38y.o. ish GK's on the way out looking for two final years.

thats the problem with english football

• Like 1

On 6/2/2017 at 17:15, NeilS said:

This is pretty much my thinking as well. If you play a defensive game, and by all accounts on here we were pretty negative most of the time, then it is going to help the goalkeeper keep clean sheets. From the highlights I saw he did not make any saves that made me think "wow what a save". In fact I would question whether he is any better than Guzan? Call me picky, but I want a better keeper than Guzan as our number 1.

Next season we need to be showing a more progressive game style if we hope to be promoted, and that will probably leave the keeper a little more exposed, so we need the keeper to be making some good saves. There has got to be better value out there for the GK spot.

Agree with every word.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

:blink:

• Like 1

£12m is a nonsense figure.

Signing a keeper for £12m would be the 4th most expensive keeper in the history of the English leagues. Ederson, De Gea and Bravo being the only ones more expensive.

For some perspective, Arsenal signed Petr Cech for £11.9m.

At this level we could get a decent, experienced keeper for a few million quid. We could certainly get one for less than the £5m that Utd apparently want for Johnstone.
I think we'd be mad to sign him for that price.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

£12m is a nonsense figure.

Signing a keeper for £12m would be the 4th most expensive keeper in the history of the English leagues. Ederson, De Gea and Bravo being the only ones more expensive.

For some perspective, Arsenal signed Petr Cech for £11.9m.

At this level we could get a decent, experienced keeper for a few million quid. We could certainly get one for less than the £5m that Utd apparently want for Johnstone.
I think we'd be mad to sign him for that price.

I wouldn't sign him at all - but anything over £2.5m is a total waste of money IMO.

• Like 1

Â