Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

Can someone please give names instead of the word experienced. If we are in with a shot of a green I'd be happy, a ruddy far less so.

if there are any quality older keepers readily available then I'm all for it, otherwise Johnstone has proved himself perfectly adept at this level. 

11 minutes ago, Nigel said:

if there are any quality older keepers readily available then I'm all for it, otherwise Johnstone has proved himself perfectly adept at this level. 

I'm not sure he has. Certainly not £5m adept.

Experienced keepers that might be available?

Boruc
Grant
Hennessey
Stekelenburg
Pantilimon
Tremmel
Myhill
Westwood
Lindegaard
Bentley
Krul
McGregor
Ruddy

Are some that come to mind. Some of them are definitely available, some of them are first choice at their club but would probably be attainable at the right price. And these are just from the English leagues. I'm sure there's plenty more, both inside and outside of England.

I'm not saying that they would all be better than Johnstone, just demonstrating that there are options out there.

And honestly, I think £5m would be enough to sign pretty much anyone from that list, with maybe one or two exceptions.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

I said it before I would check the situation at Stoke, Grant might be available or if they think he needs match fitness Butland could be available to loan and he is 10 times better than Johnstone 

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I said it before I would check the situation at Stoke, Grant might be available or if they think he needs match fitness Butland could be available to loan and he is 10 times better than Johnstone 

We won't be getting Butland, no way

What about Alex McCarthy. The young English keeper who looked really good at Reading when they were in the Prem. he's moved around to Palace and Southampton since then but has stayed as a number 2. He looked excellent when he first broke through at Reading, even being touted for an England call up. plus he has championship experience having played with reading and a few loan spells previously too. 

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Gillz said:

What about Alex McCarthy. The young English keeper who looked really good at Reading when they were in the Prem. he's moved around to Palace and Southampton since then but has stayed as a number 2. He looked excellent when he first broke through at Reading, even being touted for an England call up. plus he has championship experience having played with reading and a few loan spells previously too. 

Very good shout

19 minutes ago, Gillz said:

That s a great shout, definitely worth a try.

I just think we're going to be stuck with Johnstone unless we are priced out of a permanent move due to competition. Bruce seems determined to get him. 

19 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I am always weary of signing perennial No.2 goalkeepers.

Agree - but when the other option is Sam Johnstone Im prepared to try anything.

• Like 2

well, I would say if he is the man we want we get it done quickly. Then there's the whole summer to bed in. He did improve somewhat after his horror start and a a settled pre-season can only benefit him and the defenders he works worth. I'

23 hours ago, Gillz said:

Slightly OT, but yeah I was about to mention him. Would be a great option

Edited by Villaphan04

I like Johnstone and I think he would be a good addition. He has the potential to improve and would be far more settled with a season behind him. But at £5m.. I don't know. Would rather try and get Westwood who has had 2 very strong & consistent seasons.

17 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Christ, imagine Ashley Westwood in goal. With his range of passing he'd be odds on for top scorer, in the OG stakes. 

the English Neuer ;)

• Like 1

Â