Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

On 05/06/2017 at 08:43, Stevo985 said:

£12m is a nonsense figure.

Signing a keeper for £12m would be the 4th most expensive keeper in the history of the English leagues. Ederson, De Gea and Bravo being the only ones more expensive.

For some perspective, Arsenal signed Petr Cech for £11.9m.

At this level we could get a decent, experienced keeper for a few million quid. We could certainly get one for less than the £5m that Utd apparently want for Johnstone.
I think we'd be mad to sign him for that price.

In seasons past yes, but we just paid £4.25m for Gollini.

For the record Cech was second choice when he left Chelsea and importantly had a history of injuries when he left Chelsea. His transfer was also in 2015 before the mega Sky £inflation.

This season:Asmir Begovic to Bournemouth - £10m; Sunderland quote £30m for Jordan Pickford.

Like everything in football, everything is twice the usual price, and there are plenty of examples to indicate this finite resource is on the up, historically Buffon went for £32.5m; Spurs wouldn't entertain anything under £35m for Lloris (warding off RealM); Man Utd "agreed" £29m for de Gea from Real in 2015, they now quote £60m (Man U paid £18m). 

Rediculous as it sounds we will see these prices paid for PL journeymen 'keepers from now on, we paid £12m for a has-been, second tier, 31 year old striker. Yes football has gone mad. If we want a half decent keeper we will pay through the nose.

7 minutes ago, thunderball said:

For the record Cech was second choice when he left Chelsea and importantly had a history of injuries when he left Chelsea. His transfer was also in 2015 before the mega Sky £inflation.

This season:Asmir Begovic to Bournemouth - £10m; Sunderland quote £30m for Jordan Pickford.

Like everything in football, everything is twice the usual price, and there are plenty of examples to indicate this finite resource is on the up, historically Buffon went for £32.5m; Spurs wouldn't entertain anything under £35m for Lloris (warding off RealM); Man Utd "agreed" £29m for de Gea from Real in 2015, they now quote £60m (Man U paid £18m). 

Rediculous as it sounds we will see these prices paid for PL journeymen 'keepers from now on, we paid £12m for a has-been, second tier, 31 year old striker. Yes football has gone mad. If we want a half decent keeper we will pay through the nose.

There is no way we'll pay anything close to £12m for a goalkeeper this summer. It would more than double the record fee for a goalkeeper in the Championship (which was Matz Sels last summer).

In fact it would be only just short of the £12.75 record transfer for any player in the Championship.

It is a nonsense figure.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, thunderball said:

You are in fact spot on.

Scary isnt it

8 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Christ, imagine Ashley Westwood in goal. With his range of passing he'd be odds on for top scorer, in the OG stakes. 

He'd hit the post all the time

• Like 1

Not surprised the Manu want to sell rather than loan as they will need some dosh coming in if they are spending big on a few big names.

For £5 million I would pass, I would probably pass at half that if I am honest.

4 hours ago, hippo said:

Theres lots of reasons

1. Manu don't want him

2.He concedes a fair few goals unless we play Jedinak as virtually a 3rd centre back

3.He hardly makes any good saves

4.His kicking is poor

5.He doesn't come off his line 

Manu must be pissing themselves if someone is prepared to pay £5m for him.

1. Man Utd are the richest club in the world with arguably the best keeper in the world already, them not wanting him absolutely does not mean he's not good enough for us, or that he won't improve in the future, this is the same Man Utd that didn't bat an eyelid at Pogba leaving for peanuts then signing him back for a world record amount

2 & 3 (as they're basically the same). This is subjective, I think he's made a few decent saves, and there's certainly an argument to be made that a good keeper shouldn't need to be making world class saves a lot as they're in the right position to make that save routine - similar to the "good defenders don't make many last ditch game saving tackles as they don't need to" debate. Also, still beating this old drum, he's young, he will only improve. 

4 & 5. Again, this is a young keeper who's game will only improve as he gets older, these 2 points are 2 of the major things that goalkeepers work on in training. I also think our keepers have had a fair bit of unfair stick over their kicking in recent years on here, when in their defence, it's generally been fine with the main problem being the only player capable of winning a header has been bloody Alan Hutton out hugging the right touchline. 

From your post I assume you're expecting a goalkeeper that Man Utd wouldn't sell, who makes strings of saves game after game never conceding, while claiming every cross or ball that comes into the penalty area and kicks so accurately that we win nearly every header. I believe your looking for us to sign De Gea for less than £5m

• Like 1

Not an upgrade on the Gollini, and less likely to become a good prem level keeper than him also imho. A player coming from Man Utd. down to championship level should immediately hit the ground running and be a star. Nothing Johnstone has done so far leads me to have any confidence in the chap. We could hardly have played more conservatively and he still stank the place out all to often.

Imagine if we had just spunked away the season giving the Italian all the games to learn and grow, at least that would have been a positive to clutch on to.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, weedman said:

1. Man Utd are the richest club in the world with arguably the best keeper in the world already, them not wanting him absolutely does not mean he's not good enough for us, or that he won't improve in the future, this is the same Man Utd that didn't bat an eyelid at Pogba leaving for peanuts then signing him back for a world record amount

2 & 3 (as they're basically the same). This is subjective, I think he's made a few decent saves, and there's certainly an argument to be made that a good keeper shouldn't need to be making world class saves a lot as they're in the right position to make that save routine - similar to the "good defenders don't make many last ditch game saving tackles as they don't need to" debate. Also, still beating this old drum, he's young, he will only improve. 

4 & 5. Again, this is a young keeper who's game will only improve as he gets older, these 2 points are 2 of the major things that goalkeepers work on in training. I also think our keepers have had a fair bit of unfair stick over their kicking in recent years on here, when in their defence, it's generally been fine with the main problem being the only player capable of winning a header has been bloody Alan Hutton out hugging the right touchline. 

From your post I assume you're expecting a goalkeeper that Man Utd wouldn't sell, who makes strings of saves game after game never conceding, while claiming every cross or ball that comes into the penalty area and kicks so accurately that we win nearly every header. I believe your looking for us to sign De Gea for less than £5m

Ok, DEAL !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mykeyb said:

Is being a guarantee you WILL improve no matter where on the pitch you play or just if they are a goalkeeper?

To be fair, almost every player improves a little, unless they have truly horrendous attitudes, even Marlon Harewood was a better all round player at 28 than he was at 18

• Like 1

23 hours ago, weedman said:

I don't get why some are so against this signing, he improved once he got some confidence and towards the end of the season showed he is more than capable of being a Championship goalkeeper, and we're not talking about some 37 year old journeyman, he's young and will only improve in the coming seasons, if he's happy to leave Man Utd to come here he's obviously keen to play and improve and likes it here, there's no reason not to think he could become a Prem quality keeper over the next year or two, and for £5m it's not a massive gamble. 

At his age even if he doesn't improve in the future we'd probably still get most of our money back anyway once we get a better keeper, win win? 

Because he's not very good, and £5m could buy us a better keeper at this level.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Junxs said:

Did he improve, or did we just become more defensive?

Had this debate probably 10-15 pages back in this thread, people were going on about how many clean sheets he kept, but in reality he was only facing 2 shots on target on average a game. We could have had Bunn in goal and the clean sheets would have been the same. 

Goalkeepers should be judged on their attributes and shot stopping skills, for me he's a bang average keeper and will be found out by the age of 25. Championship is his level at best. I don't want us spending £5m on a player for the long term when the premier league is our target. Think it was Blandy who put a list few pages back on a bunch of goalkeepers who would cost less than 5m and i'd take each and everyone of them over Johnstone. 

If Bunn was in goal, would the defence have been as organised and secure? 

Â