Sam Johnstone

StefanAVFC

If he's bought outright then I'm happy as we can develop and gain from situation eventually. If it's a loan it's a waste of time, loans should only be used to make an instant impact otherwise we're just training other teams players for them. That's fine if you're a tiny club but we should be aiming higher than that, I know we are where we are but loaning development players just feels like such a waste; either you're a big team and have no loans, a middling team and loan only big shots you couldn't afford otherwise or you're a small team and just help develop youngsters for the big teams.

Yeah I might be a bit snobbish but I can't think of any benefit to us loaning players and can't think of any situation it's benefitted us.

• Like 2

It's no secret that the purse strings are going to be tighter this summer than last. If bringing Johnstone in on loan is seen as a cheaper temporary option than splashing money on a permanent keeper then I'm not against it. He's not a bad keeper, he's what would probably be described as a 'hot prospect' for a lower Premier League club (whereas at Man Utd he's just unwanted). Hopefully with an even sturdier defence in front of him, he'll have a full season in the similar form that he hit towards the end of last season.

Then when we get promoted we can just bring back Pierluigi 'the next Buffon' Gollini :ph34r:

• Like 2

On 08/07/2017 at 15:23, Stevo985 said:

Anyone who would prefer Johnstone over Hart needs their head checking.

The trouble with that is that Hart apparently didn't want to drop down a division to join us.

Hart needs his head checking following that decision but we have a keeper that knows how we play and who actually wants to play for us in our current division. A loan works for us because it seems money is a bit tight currently. I trust that we have agreed an option to buy?   

Done it seems.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/manchester-united-transfer-news-goalkeeper-13306667

Manchester United goalkeeper heads to to Aston Villa on loan

Manchester United are set to confirm the departure of Sam Johnstone

GettyImages-680082962.jpg

Sam Johnstone is set to complete a season-long loan move to Aston Villa on Monday.

The Manchester United goalkeeper was omitted from Jose Mourinho's USA tour squad ahead of the switch.

The 24-year-old, who has a year to run on his Old Trafford contract spent the second half of last season at Villa - making a big impression on manager Steve Bruce, who has been working on a deal since the end of the campaign.

Johnstone is a long way down the pecking order at United, with Joel Pereira third choice behind David de Gea and Sergio Romero.

Mourinho handed Pereira his Premier League debut in the final game of the season against Crystal Palace.

He included the 21-year-old in his squad, which flew out to Los Angeles on Sunday.

Johnstone was omitted alongside Adnan Januzaj, while James Wilson has traveled with the under 23s to Austria.

Mourinho has included some of United’s brightest young players alongside Pereira in a 27-man squad.

Andreas Pereira, Axel Tuanzebe, Scott McTominay and Demetri Mitchell have also traveled to the US.

The omissions of Januzaj and Wilson suggest they could follow Johnstone out of the club this summer - either on loan or in permanent deals.

4 hours ago, Czechlad said:

Does Johnstone feel like a good signing to get us to the premier league? If you are hesitant to answer yes, or say no, then this probably isn't the signing we need.

Whilst I definitely agree with you, i think that there are better keepers we could have got (and reachable) that I think we should have got. I speculate that they have been trying with other targets also.

However in the grand scheme of things, he isn't terrible. Given what we saw last season, he's bang average championship. I would have preferred it if he was brought in as back up but we wouldn't loan him if we were doing that. 

Is he a good signing to get us to the premier league? Potentially. Beyond that? I've not seen anything to suggest so.

I am somewhat underwhelmed by this signing and think we could and should have done better in such a crucial position. However, if all this speculation is true (it almost certainly is), then I hope he has an absolute cracker of a season! :D

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John said:

The trouble with that is that Hart apparently didn't want to drop down a division to join us.

Well yes, obviously.

I was talking about the people who were saying things like "Hart is no better than Johnstone". Which is ludicrous.

8 hours ago, John said:

Hart needs his head checking following that decision but we have a keeper that knows how we play and who actually wants to play for us in our current division. A loan works for us because it seems money is a bit tight currently. I trust that we have agreed an option to buy?   

United have a 12 month option on his deal after next season so it would only be a small fee if we did buy him next summer .

Depends how he progresses I guess as we could be back in the big time and able to entice better by then .

• Like 1

According to the report he has 1 year left on his contract so he could be signed permanently as he would be cheap or a tribunal ? I suspect it could be a loan with a buy clause. He may not be the brilliant keeper expected by the numerous coaches on this forum but he got better as he played for us so this to me is a decent signing! 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, nazvfc said:

According to the report he has 1 year left on his contract so he could be signed permanently as he would be cheap or a tribunal ? I suspect it could be a loan with a buy clause. He may not be the brilliant keeper expected by the numerous coaches on this forum but he got better as he played for us so this to me is a decent signing! 

United have a 12 month option to extend his deal in 2018 .

Goalkeeper Sam Johnstone has signed a new contract at Manchester United which keeps him at the club until June 2018 with the option to extend for a further year.

Johnstone, 23, has come through United's academy system and has been with the club since he was 10 years old. Sam has represented the club at every level before being promoted to the first-team squad.

Johnstone told ManUtd.com: "I am delighted to have signed a new contract. I have been with the club since I was 10 years old and have grown up here. The last 13 years have flown by and I have enjoyed every moment of my time here so far. I am working with world-class goalkeepers every day and now I am going to use all that experience to push myself and show the manager what I can do."

Jose Mourinho said: "Sam is a goalkeeper with great potential. He is a very professional young man with a great attitude to the game. He has progressed immensely even during my short time at the club. I am delighted he has committed his future to Manchester Un

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Features/Football-News/2016/Oct/Goalkeeper-Sam-Johnstone-signs-new-Manchester-United-deal.aspx

Â