The push for the Play offs ?

hippo

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I know it's disappointing, but personally I'm already 'over it' and I'm OK with this rebuild taking a little longer than I had hoped. 

I'm still not over getting relegated from the Premier League last season.

i want promotion NOW! ;) 

He has a point though we need to focus on bloody putting two half performances. Usually we are shit first half and play better second but like the RdM days we bottled it.

One or two good plays from Preston and we crumble like losers. When  teams go 2 up against us they easily see us off. So why can't we

1) hold leads

2)come back from a losing position to win  games

3) put a performance for 90 bloody minutes?

Thing is, when looking at the squad I feel this team was very much assembled with the aim to get promoted this season (or at worst next season).

It isn't a young squad full of players with future potential, most of the players brought in should be in their prime and are pushing 30, or in Jedi's case past it reaching the end of his career at this level.

Jedi 32, McCormack 30, Elphick & Adomah 28, Chester, DeLaet 27...

Of course they can still improve or at least be as good next season, but I don't feel it is a team build for the long term.

Sure we also have players with potential and who has many good (hopefully) years in from of them.

But IMO it's very much supposed to be peaking here and now.

Next season will probably be yet another rebuilding project.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ender4 said:

I'm still not over getting relegated from the Premier League last season.

i want promotion NOW! ;) 

I have accepted another season or so rebuild period, but with the caveat that we get back before Liverpool surpass our seasons in the top flight. Imagine the nauseating punditry if the Merseyside derby became the most played top flight game...

• Like 2

Still don't think it's out of the question, but don't realistically think it will happen.

However, as long as we build sensibly and bruce keeps improving us, I'm confident we'll be a serious contender next season.

So if that means a season of success in this league ending in promotion, I'm completely ok with that!

• Like 1

my gut feel is if we sneak up this year , we'd have a relegation battle and maybe even come back down next season ... we'd need another rebuild type program

but now the race is all but over ,  we've got a few games to fully blood Green , see how the Lansbury Hourihane partnership works out , find a position for the boy wonder (maybe just behind Kodjia) ... give our new super right back a time to bed in  and give medical science a bit more time to find a cure for Elijah Price Baker

and then if we don't win the Championship with a record number of points next season then we should sack Bruce for under achieving

• Like 1

let's see how the spring pans out before ruling something out. If our new midfield (assuming it's assembling) bears fruit and we start winning games for fun, then it's most certainly not out of the question. we've complained on and on about losing mentality and accepting that we're not going to get promoted kind of goes hand in hand with that. I hope we bloody go for it all the way.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I have to be honest I'm kind of enjoying being in the championship.

I like thinking we can win before every game. I like that the best players in our league want to play for us and we're one of the big bully boys for once. 

We need to return but I could happily live with one more year here. 

Agreed - as long as it's just the one more year 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The only thing stopping us getting into play offs is getting right people in, which looks to be happening, and going on a sustained run

that long sustained run is the hard part though. We need to win ten on the bounce at some point and be damn near unbeaten for the rest of the time to make sure of the play offs 

So pretty certain we're going to line up rest of the season with Kodjia up top and then Viking, Hourihane, Jedinak, Lansbury, Adomah, then Amavi, Chester, Baker, Bree, Johnstone. If that clicks, and I certainly think it can, we will boss a lot of games. 

Very unlikely we make playoffs and even if we did it's going to be tough to win it. It will be Newcastle Brighton and Leeds they will go up in my opinion. Anything we achieve this season will be a bonus now. Next season has to be automatic promotion or else we could be in trouble. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I have to be honest I'm kind of enjoying being in the championship.

I like thinking we can win before every game. I like that the best players in our league want to play for us and we're one of the big bully boys for once. 

We need to return but I could happily live with one more year here. 

I agree with this but a lot of the games have sure been dire to watch. Hopefully the new additions will add that much needed creativity. 

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Very unlikely we make playoffs and even if we did it's going to be tough to win it. It will be Newcastle Brighton and Leeds they will go up in my opinion. Anything we achieve this season will be a bonus now. Next season has to be automatic promotion or else we could be in trouble. 

If we get to the playoffs from the position we are currently then we have noone to fear whatsoever. Since it would mean we have been unbeaten for many games . but the odds of it happening are very slim

2 hours ago, HAL said:

If we get to the playoffs from the position we are currently then we have noone to fear whatsoever. Since it would mean we have been unbeaten for many games . but the odds of it happening are very slim

Very true. Like I said if a team goes on a run 6-7 straight wins then play Offs are reachable most definitely. With the new boys and early return of the kodj it's not completely over ...yet

21 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

The only thing stopping us getting into play offs is getting right people in, which looks to be happening, and going on a sustained run

The only thing stopping us is to play  much better in the last 20 games than we have in the first 26 and hope other teams slip up.  And score lots more goals. And not to drop any more points. And win away matches. It is a big ask.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 3